cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: UBD-M9500 4K Blu-Ray Player "disc does not meet specifications" error

Just found that my player a ubd-m850 was getting the "does not meet specifications" error, I recently moved and havent used it in a while. So this was the first time i was trying to watch a new disk (john wick 3) and i got this message, tried restarting a few times and needless to say i was not a happy camper. Then I tried out bladerunner 2045 and that ran fine.... then i put john wick 3 back in the machine.... and it worked.... it played with no problems... wierd. Im tempted to buy another newly released disk and see if that has problems also.

P.S.: Is cool googling something and seeing that its been bricking players for months samsung! Way to go!

Highlighted
Asteroid

Can anyone from Samsung provide an update?

Highlighted
Asteroid

Still waiting on an update of any kind.  Twitter support has been abysmal.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Anyone?  Anybody?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Highlighted
Asteroid

Well, I guess I give up.  Not even the decency of a response.  Great support for a disc player that costs hundreds of dollars.  A nice bait n' switch.  Support lines provide nothing but "turn it off and back on again" or runarounds.

Next TV, smartphone, and all my appliances, will not be Samsung branded.

Highlighted
Constellation

This has been happening with discs which originally did play on the player.  And it doesn't seem to have anything to do with updates, as there hasn't been an update in some years.

I suspect it is a mechanical issue.  

Then again, it began happening at the same time on both a Samsung DVD player, and a Samsung Blu-Ray player.  A partiular DVD that always played without problem won't now play on both DVD and Blu-Ray players.

Highlighted
Constellation

My Blu-Ray player is a D5700, and there hasn't been a firmware update since 2013.  But only within the last several months it is no longer playing some blu-ray discs that it played without problem before -- with the same "Disc does not meet the specifications" error message.

I doubt Samsung ever intends to update formware -- unless there's massive protest -- after they cease a rpoduction run of a given model.

In this instance the error obviously isn't the firmware -- more likely mechanical -- unless there is something in the firmware affected by time lapse or date.

And this is happening with a specific DVD that played without problem, but now gives an error message in two Samsung players, one multi-region DVD and one the D5700.

Though I have a Samsung TV, and rely on CEC, I'm done with Samsung.  The incompatibilities between different brands -- after all these years -- show up the WEAKNESS of "competition": no one cooperates with anyone on established standards that are actually established.  As ever, it's all about profit.

Highlighted
Constellation

I've been a Samsung buyer since earliest days, beginning with hard drives.  I swore by Samsung.  Now I swear at Samsung.

My D5700 Blu-Ray player, manufactured in 2011, last firmware update 2013, also stopped, within the last several months, playing several discs IT ORIGINALLY PLAYED WITHOUT PROBLEM.

So the problem isn't limited to new releases.  I suspect there is a firmware problem with the change in decade from 2010-19 to 2020.

Will Samsung be updating all firmware that has this bug?  Probably not: they already have my money.

Highlighted
Constellation

Bummed to see this 14 page lost not have a solution my uhd Blu-ray will not play discs it once did.  This is a problem

Highlighted
Constellation

Looks like my issue is not unique as i see it has been going on for 6-7 months with no response or fix from samsung. i have been a loyal samsung customer for the last decade with all my TV and players. i am rethinking this