JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Update LOVE !! - 2016 Soundbar w/ Dolby Atmos HW-K950

(Topic created: 09-20-2017 06:16 PM)
Tweetatoo
Halo
Options
Home Theater

Needs update !! 2016 Soundbar w/ Dolby Atmos HW-K950 Hey Samsung Support This sound bar really needs to be updated to get those back wireless speakers working, you can hardly hear anything even when bringing the individual volume up, it also seems to have handshake issues with your SAMSUNG TV's. DTS-X support would be amazing ! Overall it's a good bar but really could be fantastic if you gave us a little software/firmware update love !

106 Replies
usersPuzLkfKab
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Anyone manager to get dolby atmos from the A mazon P rime app in samsung ubd-k8500 blu ray player via this sound bar? 

0 Likes
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I have never seen a movie encoded with Atmos on Amazon, so no.

0 Likes
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

As an update, I just found at that firmware update 3113 allows DTS 5.1  to run thru the HW-950.   How do you know if you have it?    You must have (as far as I know) the Samsumg Multi-room app loaded and connected via Wi-fi to your soundbar.   You'll be able to see the firmware version.   Mine was several iterations behind and the current version is actually 3114.     Does anyone know if there is a way to find out what the different firmware versions upgrade?   I only found this out by stumbling across an article in Forbes magazine from June.

0 Likes
userH70Xc8a8GV
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

@usercQJKzEqzLB wrote:

If nothing else, just to archive my challenges.   I have the HW-K950 Soundbar, UBD K8600 4k Blueray, and KS9800 78" SUHD tv.    If you do not have everything set-up correctly, you will get little or no ATMOS effect.     As highlighted in the manual, if you do not see the blue LED and Dolby ATMOS scrolling across the sound bar - you don't have it.   You must set the Blue-ray player to bitstream unprocessed, run the HMDI into the sound bar (1 or 2) and run the HMDI ARC back to the tv.   Since the KS9800 has a One-Connect box, I mistakenly assumed I could run the Blue-ray HMDI to the One-Connect box and have the respective ARC connections to the soundbar.   While you get some version of "surround sound", it's not Dolby ATMOS.  

The One-Connect complicated things because I did the "easy" thing and assumed the simple connection options would work.   They do work, but you don't get what you paid for until you use more of the brute force method.

0 Likes
useroU1q58IPjL
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

@Tweetatoo Unfortunately this problem persists in newer models too. My N950 has the same issue and it took me hours to troubleshoot why I 1) wasn’t getting surround and 2) not getting Atmos (verdict is still out on whether this works - I need to test some content). Thanks for posting your journey. You might want to take a look at some other Atmos home theater discussions and pass this on!

0 Likes
GremlinX
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I have the same setup, except I have the UN65KS9000 series TV. The problem I'm having is, it seems my DVD player is in control of everything. Sometimes when watching TV the DVD player will turn it's self on and then changes the soundbar to ARC TV and my TV input goes to the antenna input, the soundbar goes to HDMI 2 where my DVD player is. The power on/off button on the DVD player will not turn off the DVD player, you have to go to the DVD player and turn it off there. I have the same problem with the rear suround speakers with the volume. Is there any solution to this? In the end I just unplugged the AC from the dvd player. Without the soundbar, going through the smart hub, everything worked fine. The power on on the DVD player only controlled the DVD player. When it was turned on, the TV switched to the HDMI input it was on.

0 Likes
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Let me archive some basics which may not be obvious unless you've done some research.   First, there are two main audio technologies -  DTS and Dolby.   Both have several, progressively better and more complicated technologies.   Dolby ATMOS is the current state-of-the-art for Dolby.    Besides a surround effect, it also has a channel that shoots up towards the ceiling - if you have the correct equipment.    The Samsung HW-K950 was created for Dolby ATMOS.

That said, Dolby ATMOS must be encoded on your Blu-ray or DVD.   At this point, it is pretty rare to have this encoding.  You must look on the back for the Dolby ATMOS logo - not just Dolby or Dolby 5.1.    It is more common on the 4k discs, but still not on a majority of these as far as I can tell from looking at them at Best Buy.  So, if you cannot confirm you have a disc with Dolby ATMOS, you're wasting your time to confirm whether it is set-up properly.

Second, the Blu-ray, 4K or DVD player audio must be set up properly.   Assuming you have Dolby ATMOS on the disc, the player must be set to send a "bitstream" to the soundbar (see earlier note - as I recall, this was NOT the default setting).   Since we are discussing the Samsung HW-950,  the disc player must use an HDMI cable to connect to soundbar into either HMDI1 or HMDI2 in the soundbar.   The soundbar HMDI ARC must then return to the One-Connect HMDI ARC connection at for your Samsung TV (note, as far as I can tell, this set-up will now override the audio settings you may have made on your TV).  Any other audio like optical or any other will not send the Dolby signal.  As another side note, if the disc has DTS as the primary audio, on the Samsung player you must set the audio to "Convert to Dolby".   It will not be ATMOS, but will be a reasonable Dolby conversion that will drive the rear speakers (just not the ceiling directed ones).  

Regarding your DVD player becoming active.   It is either defective - or more likely - if you have a disc in the unit, it will assume you want to play it and may start-up.    Be sure there is not disc in the player.   The other possibility is you may need to reset the system.    I ran into this as I was adding components, I suddenly lost things and the system seemed scrambled.   You must (as far as I can tell) physically unplug the TV, wait 5-10 minutes (I don't know why) and plug it back in and let the TV find all your components again.  

Not sure if any of this will solve your particular issue.   Your one comment seems unclear since you mention the power button the DVD player twice, but I assume you meant the remote control the first time.  

userMQ1JHTZjWL
Constellation
Options
Home Theater
Turn off cec on ur DVD player
0 Likes
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

On samsung, the cec feature is called Anynet+

0 Likes