cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

What type of power cable extension can be used with a soundbar?

I got the Samsung HW-Q60R Harman Kardon 5.1 soundbar recently which comes with an AC/DC Adapter (A4024_FPN or AH81-09783A), but the length of the integrated cord from the power block (about 58 inches) isn't long enough for my needs.  I'm having a difficult time figuring out what type of adapter or extension cable would allow me to extend it.  I'm trying to avoid using a longer cord from the power block to the power plug/outlet.

Is 5.5 x 2.1mm an accurate measurement for an extension cable/adapter?  Would 20 AWG wire thickness be enough, or does it need to be 18 AWG exactly like what appears to be labeled on the integrated cord?  The 5.5 x 2.1mm extension cables I see tend to have an extra plastic sheeth over the female connector - Would that extra sheeth be compatable, or would I have to trim the plastic sheet back?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: What type of power cable extension can be used with a soundbar?

HI guy. 🤔 Seems like you want it all to be all right and you can't go wrong with matching everything almost exactly the manufacturers specifications. If they've used specific cable awg., 🤓 unless otherwise cleared as OK to do so by the manufacturer's technical support services crew, never ever use a lesser awg. than they do or specify; this will avoid a disaster such as short circuit fires 😲, excessively loud line impedance noise, or 😞reduced device performance 🙄 extra sheathing is extra protection and that's a good thing, as long as it does not block the contacts from connecting where they must without leaving contact metal exposed, 😉 consult with the dealer/supplier who sold you the device or the manufacturer's technical support team to find out what is the devices best compatible or recommended options

Highlighted
Constellation

I will be sure to not use lesser AWG.  Best Buy does not provide a DC adapter kit with a thick enough AWG.

I bought a 5.5 mm x 2.1 mm extension cord, and it does NOT fit the soundbar or its power block, as it appears to be too big for both the outer and inner diameters.  It does not fit the male plug on the power block, and does not connect to female port on the soundbar.

4.8 mm x 1.7 mm seems like the next best size to try, but I cannot find a cord in that size that is 18 AWG or higher.

Highlighted
Astronaut

😎

Highlighted
Constellation

Hi. I have a similar problem.  I purchased the HW-R60M and adapter AH81-09747A and I need an extension from the soundbar to the adapter.  

What did you eventually use to complete your project?

Thanks