cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

YouTube broken on BD-J5100

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I used to watch a lot on YouTube on my BD-J5100. But in recent weeks, the YouTube app seems to be broken. Every time I attempt to open it, I get a message "updating, please check back." The first few times this happened, I solved it by unplugging the BD-J5100. After reconnecting power, I could get YouTube to run for one session, then the problem would re-appear. Now nothing I have tried will get around this. Watching YouTube is the primary thing I did with my BD-J5100, so having YouTube break is a real annoyance! Is there a fix for this? I have the current firmware installed.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: YouTube broken on BD-J5100

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SOLVED! Thank you very much for your help. The issue apparently had to do with NTP. I did some tweaking on my DNS server so that pool.ntp.org will now resolve to my firewall/ntp server, and that seems to have solved the issue. (NTP is restricted on my LAN.) YouTube and Acuweather now start up almost instantly - faster than they ever have before! Apparently Samsung recently changed something on their firmware to where a successful NTP connection to pool.ntp.org is now a mandatory prerequisite for apps. The problem started a few weeks ago without anything changing on my LAN. I had previously assumed that taking a few seconds to start was normal. I know better now.

Thank you for your time and help.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Was the youtube app a pre-installed or did you download from the app store? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm pretty sure it was pre-installed. I don't think I've added anything from the app store.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Does it give you the option to update the app?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The app itself will not open. I just get the "updating" message when I attempt to open it. In the device settings, there is an option to update firmware, which is set to update automatically. If I attempt to manually update the firmware, I'm informed I have the current version. I have not found any options to update individual apps.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried completing a hard reset on the device? 

Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just did a factory reset. The problem persists.

However, I re-read the message I'm getting. It says "System Time is Updating." I'm getting the same message with other apps. I had previously thought this was a YouTube issue, but I now realize it is not. I also previously overlooked the word "time" in the message.  I'm looking at the firewall logs to see if there is anything there.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SOLVED! Thank you very much for your help. The issue apparently had to do with NTP. I did some tweaking on my DNS server so that pool.ntp.org will now resolve to my firewall/ntp server, and that seems to have solved the issue. (NTP is restricted on my LAN.) YouTube and Acuweather now start up almost instantly - faster than they ever have before! Apparently Samsung recently changed something on their firmware to where a successful NTP connection to pool.ntp.org is now a mandatory prerequisite for apps. The problem started a few weeks ago without anything changing on my LAN. I had previously assumed that taking a few seconds to start was normal. I know better now.

Thank you for your time and help.

View solution in original post