Original topic:

blu-ray comes on when I turn on tv

(Topic created: 11-21-2020 02:07 PM)
userfDW7OW84N5
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

every time I turn on my tv, my samsung blu-ray then comes on and the tv switches to it, the only way I can watch tv is to unplug my blu-ray and then turn on my tv, is there anyway to avoid this? it doesn't matter which remote I use, my samsung tv remote or my logitech harmony remote, the blu-ray always turns on with me asking it to

0 Likes
4 Replies
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Home Theater

Are you using a Samsung television?  Go to your settings and disable any HDMI CEC settings that you have enabled currently.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userlWcl7RiPRo
Astronaut
Options
Home Theater

I have the same issue with my samsung dvd player and samsung tv.   It doesn't happen every single time.... typically after I have used the dvd player - the next few times I turn on the tv with my harmony remote (for streaming) the dvd player will ultimately turn on and switch the input on the tv.     Does the same if I have the DVD player plugged directly into the tv or thru the receiver and then into the tv.      Also,  don't the HDMI CEC settings need to be enabled for HDMI ARC to work?  I initially had the DVD player going directly to the TV and then an optical cable return to the receiver for audio.  Will either configuration stop the dvd player from doing this?

0 Likes
userllk8r2CWIW
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I had a very similar problem, although in my case it was the (Samsung) UHD Blu Ray player turning on the MU-8000 TV. The short form answer is that turning off AnyNet+ (HDMI CEC) on the Blu Ray is what appears to have fixed it.

My configuration is a Marantz receiver, with the Blu Ray, RCN cable box, and TV hanging off it, all connected via HDMI. That allows me to get the best audio from the DVD without the TV recoding it. I have a Harmony remote that I use to control everything. I prefer that to any of the individual remotes because it really can control every function of every device.

Shutting off CEC on the TV is not a reasonable solution, because that also disables ARC. I don't know why that should be the case, but at least on this TV, that's how it's set up. That would require me to use an optical cable. That would both require an additional cable and prevent the TV from sending more than two audio channels to the receiver, so no native multi-channel sound from apps running on the TV. However, the problem that I was having was that if the Blu Ray were on, even with the receiver off and pass through and HDMI control turned off on the receiver, the TV would turn on and switch to the Blu Ray source. Whether this happened any given time when turning everything off depended on what turned off first. If the Blu Ray shut down first, everything was OK; if it took longer to shut down than the TV, the Blu Ray would turn the TV back on.

What I wanted was for there to be a single controller, the Harmony remote, with the receiver as the hub. That minimizes the amount of audio processing taking place. Having multiple controllers on one system, particularly when there's no one thing that knows the state of the system, is just asking for trouble.

Fortunately, turning off CEC on the Blu Ray appears, after multiple rounds of tests, to have resolved the issue for me.

0 Likes
userHWaBhhUr8E
Constellation
Options
Home Theater
I also have the same problem
0 Likes