cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

4 Door French Door Ice Maker Won't stay turned off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We purchased a 4 Door French Door, model RF28R7351SR/AA, about 9 months ago.  It started having trouble with the ice maker about 4 months later.  We had free ice below the ice bucket and around the auger drive and thawed it out a couple of times before calling for service.

The reason for the call  was that the ice build up under and around the ice bucket froze it in place.  I couldn't remove it to try and clear the ice.

We had a service call in November, real good tech, did things by the book, worked remotely with service resources to diagnose and fix.

He said this model already had all of the fixes for previous models, the ones involved in the class action suit.  But, the drain heater had failed.

Replaced that and some other components to resolve.

It worked fine for a couple of months.  Now, we have ice building up in the freezer room floor again...like before.

Before, we call for service I thought that I would only turn the ice maker on for a 1/2 day at a time, let it build up a supply for use, then turn it off again until I needed more ice.

But, the ice maker control turns itself back on, don't know how.

I have turned it off with the phone app and confirmed it being off by the display panel.  But, next time I check it is back to 'ON'.

I have turned it off  with the control panel, confirmed it stayed off.  But, next time I check it is back to 'ON'.

How do I turn it off reliably? 

We are going on vacation and I don't want to come back to a stuck ice drawer again.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: 4 Door French Door Ice Maker Won't stay turned off

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations! Have you already reset the icemaker? Would you mind sending a private message with the serial number so I may look into this further? http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations! Have you already reset the icemaker? Would you mind sending a private message with the serial number so I may look into this further? http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Replied Friday, Jan 31

Model: RF28R7351SR/AA
Serial: <hidden>

It did it again today.

I had turned the ice maker off last night via the control panel.

I checked this morning before going to work and it was off.

I checked late this afternoon and it was off.

Now, 3 hours after the last check, we heard ice dropping.

The phone app says it's back on.  I turned it via the app and will check to see that it did, in fact, turn off.

We are planning to go on vacation and can't trust the ice maker control to stay off...guaranteeing a frozen ice drawer and that whole mess when we return.

Can I turn the water supply off to insure no problems like that?

Could that action cause problems with the fridge water supply solenoid?

Please advise.

Some suggested resetting the fridge by powering down for 60 sec, then manually turning the ice maker off.  I will do that and see how it goes.

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That didn't work.  I reset the fridge around noon today and confirmed that the ice maker was set to "off".

Now, 6 hours later, the ice maker mysteriously turned itself back on.

Worse, tried to remove the ice drawer to check the ice room for extra ice and the ice drawer/bucket is frozen in place again.  I will have to look up how to force a defrost and try that tomorrow.

Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We have the same problem.  I have noticed that it will stay off until we dispense ice, at which time it turns the icemaker  back on.

Want to only leave on a short period of time and then use up the ice before turning it on again.

Any suggestions ??

Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yep!  My ice maker will stay off only until we hit the ice button....which is almost every time we get water, becuase the two buttons are so close.   My problem is that the ice builds up inside the tray but never drops into the bucket. This causes an annoying clicking sound that NEVER stops...unless I turn the ice machine off.  I wonder if I can unplug it? Has anyone tried that?

Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine is doing the same thing! I turn off the ice maker manually but come back later to find it has turned itself back on. I paid waaaaaay too much money for this refrigerator to not perform such a basic function!