cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userjJ3mLkKwsV
Asteroid

Re: 4 door refrigerator RF32FMQDBSR/AA stopped cooling

JUMP TO SOLUTION

By the way, if anyone decideds to initiate a class action law suit, count me in. This is ridiculous.

Highlighted
Locksley
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

have had a top of the line Samsung refrigerator for just under 3 years, and as i only drink water, and sparkling water from the front panel, i didn't realize that it really wasn't getting cold inside.  Food seemed to be going bad much faster, so we changed supermarkets, and it got a tiny bit better, but really not much.  I figured it out when we were at our summer house, and I had a drink of milk from the fridge there ( i rarely drink milk), and it was COLD.  When i came back to our house in NY, i got milk, let it sit in the fridge overnight, and drank a glass, and it was practically warm. (My wife doesnt like cold drinks, so she never even noticed). I put a digital thermometer in the fridge, and found it had a constant temperature of 58-60 degrees, and this had been going on for over a year!@#.

I called Samsung 6 times, over 4 days, and was told different things every time.  From people telling me they would send me repair centers to call (they must call and set it up, so worthless) and never sending them, to assuring me it was under warranty, then the next person telling me it wasn't, i was truly annoyed. Towards the end, when i was assured that i would have to pay for the repair on a 3 year old refrigerator (we estimated 500 dollars), i took matters into my own hands. 

I searched on the web for service docs, and exploded parts diagrams, and found what i thought the problem was, as many other people seem to have the same issue with all different models of their refrigerators (the fan in the evaporator cavity).  I carried a spare refrigerator up from the basement, emptied out the current fridge, and took it apart.  Found the problem, which was almost exactly what i thought it was, and fixed it myself for about 3 cents in solder.  When someone finally called back to set my service appointment, and i told them i had fixed it, she was blown away, and said that could VOID MY WARRANTY!! She was very nice, but surprised that someone could fix it themselves i suppose. 

I was very clear, in that due to this experience, i will NEVER purchase another Samsung appliance, EVER.  I also have a gigantic network of friends that i will be telling this same story to, and they can make up their own minds.  Its truly a shame, as it is a lovely product, but being told i had to pay 500$ to fix an almost new refrigerator (and remember, it had been warm in there for over a year), and going through the ringer with support, Im really really disappointed. 

Samsung, i thought you were better than this, which is why i took a chance, and purchased your product 3 years ago.  Fix your customer service, as that is, in my estimation, the best way to save customers from walking away, like me.

userzjeJB6jEAv
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Locksley, excellent work.  Would you share where you applied the solder?  Some of the posts mention leaking coolant and your fix seems to align with that issue.  We love our fridge and would really like to keep it, especially since the only other 32  ft^3 fridge from Samsung is almost $6k.  Looking forward to your response.  You can direct message if preferred, although I don't see a button that offers that feature.  Thanks!

-CD

VIDEOMAN02_DANNY
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

How did you solve this issue. I have the same refrigerator and after 4 technicians calls later and almost $500 dollars in Service calls they are telling me that my refrigerator has a manufacture defect and it's unrepairable. I am very frustrated with the entire situation since we have been a loyal Samsung customer customer for years. We have purchased almost everything in our entire house from LED monitors to your hightest end Tv's and we never come across such a frustrating situations like this. I get Samsung athorize tech's to come down to look at the unit and first issue I come across they are telling me that they are Samsung athorize tech's but are not R600A frion athorize. After explaning this to several service centers they finally get the only 1 in my entire region where I live that is Samsung athorize and R600A frion certified (Best Applicance in Sacramento) they tell me that this issue is unrepairable. The tech tells me that this is the 3rd one this month and it's a Samsung manufacture defect.

So we have a leak with the frion R600A in which is flamable I see that Samsung does not priority to this issue or our safety. I also mentioned we have a new born in the house that requires his brest milk to be refrigerated as well and they still did not prioritised the matter. I cannot believe Samsung would put a product in the market which has the potential to fail and compromise the safety of my famly. The issue is still not fixed..

user6w8MX2fmRw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

R600a is acutually isobutane, not Freon. Word of caution, this stuff is good for the ozone but flamable. There are a few videos on Youtube showing people recharging fridges with spray bottles of the stuff. My theory on why it leaks is that the ice warps the pipes that builds up around radiator carrying the r600a and it all leaks out that way. Was the black packet of tar used to keep the refrigerant pushed aside or off from the return tube?

userL8nzlN8ElL
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have now joined the list of those with the exact same problem with the same model number RF32FMQDBSR.  It appears we have indeed bought a lemon.

Top section does not cool below 55F.  Have thrown out food.  

Worked with Samsung via chat today.  Their approach was to unplug the unit, wait a minute, then restart and set the temperature for the compartments, wait 4-5 hours and recontact them if it does not work.  From this forum, and the time spent so far, I see this approach will not fix this problem.

For those on the forum who have had some resolution from Samsung, how did you do it?  It seems to be a lengthy painful process to reach a solution, what tips to you have to smooth the process and cut the time?

Not looking forward to the next few months (if that's what it takes)

userL8nzlN8ElL
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I want to thank those on this forum who have gone before and posted your issues. You have saved me time and money.  I have the same problem with my refrigerator. 

Results of my chat session with Samsung below.  In the market for a new fridge tomorrow. 

By the way, you cannot review your chat session once they exit it, there were a few more lines at the end that did not make it because I had not copied them before exiting

-------------

6:51 PM

Connecting you to a Care Pro now.

You are connected with Omair BT from Samsung Care.

6:52 PM

Hi, This is Omair. Let me quickly go through the conversation.

6:54 PM

Let me quickly review the previous chat.

6:55 PM

We have not heard from you for some time. Do you wish to continue to chat?

I see that the refrigerator is not cooling, am I correct?

yes. The solution provided did not work to correct the problem of the upper compartment not cooling

6:56 PM

we tried the reset

The lower portion freezer is working

And you have unplugged the refrigerator and plug it back and set the temperatures and enable the power cool still it is not cooling, am I correct?

correct

6:57 PM

that was about 6 hours ago. it still is at 55F

6:58 PM

I see on your support forums, this model in particular has had a large number of failures just like this

7:01 PM

Hi! this is Neethika. Welcome to Samsung Technical Support. I'll quickly go through the conversation.

7:02 PM

Hello 

hello

7:03 PM

I see that the fridge compartment is not cooling.

you are correct

7:04 PM

Help me with the model number.
You'll find it on the label on the left interior panel of the refrigerator (usually starts with RF/RS/RM/RB/RH).

It is RF32FMQDBSR

7:05 PM

I see many reports on your customer discussion forum with this specific problem on this specific model

if you need the serial number it is W76643BF402461Y

Thank you for the model number.

7:06 PM

Thank you for the serial number.

As of now, there are no such reported issues in our database.

When did you set the desired temperatures?

7:07 PM

6 hours ago

7:08 PM

There are 13 pages of discussion of this issue on your customer support website at https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Kitchen/thread-id/699/page/1

I really appreciate your efforts on doing this.

7:09 PM

Here at Samsung, we want to provide our customers with the best solution possible and we try to exhaust all possible resources and channels.

Samsung doesn’t want to see its customers being upset or unhappy. We intend to provide an exceptional customer service and experience to each of our customers.

Sometimes it is possible that the product does not work as expected and that could be for various reasons. 

Samsung does strive to produce the best product and give the best service.

thank you, i have been pleased with all of our other samsung products

7:11 PM

It seems an internal issue with the fridge compartment, it needs to be diagnosed by a technician.

7:12 PM

That is what I've seen discussed in the forum pages as well

It seems that for each, the end result was that there was nothing the tech could do

7:13 PM

hopefully it will not take the time and the financial impact described in the pages

7:15 PM

I've checked with my supervisor, service is the only available option.

Would that be at Samsung's expense?

7:16 PM

If you read through the forum pages, it seems some have paid $500 in service calls that ultimately ended without a solution

7:18 PM

Let me check the warranty information on the refrigerator.

7:19 PM

I see that the warranty has ended on 06/30/2015.

Since the warranty has expired, the service would be charged.

7:20 PM

I thought there was a five year warranty on internal parts

7:21 PM

Yes, I'm referring to the standard warranty. However, the refrigerator comes with 5 year warranty on sealed system parts.

7:22 PM

If the tech determines issue with any of the sealed system, it will be covered under warranty.

If not, the service will be charged0.

What is the cost of service calls?

I really wish I had the service fee calculator in hand but that is only available with the service techs and the service centers.

7:23 PM

Once I file the service, you'll be contacted within 2 business days, they'll let you know the cost as well.

7:24 PM

Are we good to file the service?

7:25 PM

Unfortunately, if this follows the route of the support forum conversations, the loss of time and financial commitment would make us another one of the statistics that you say you do not have in your data base

7:26 PM

at this point I am skeptical that your service will find a solution

Service Bulletins are published for informational purposes only and intended for use only by person qualified for the specific task depicted.

The information contained in the service bulletin doesn't expand or otherwise alter Samsung's standard limited warranty applicable to the product.

are you sure their is nothing that Samsung can do?

7:28 PM

That does not cause a financial burden to the customer?

A technician would visit your place and determine where the actual problem is and give it a fix.

7:29 PM

As it is more than 2 years out of warranty, unfortunately, there is no option, it'll cost the repair.

7:30 PM

I believe we are at the point of cutting our losses and getting a non-Samsung refrigerator. Unfortunate because I've liked our Washer, Dryer, Stove, Phones, and TVs

userL8nzlN8ElL
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I want to thank those on this forum who have gone before and posted your issues. You have saved me time and money.  I have the same problem with my refrigerator. 

Results of my chat session with Samsung below.  In the market for a new fridge tomorrow. 

By the way, you cannot review your chat session once they exit it, there were a few more lines at the end that did not make it because I had not copied them before exiting

-------------

6:51 PM

Connecting you to a Care Pro now.

You are connected with Omair BT from Samsung Care.

6:52 PM

Hi, This is Omair. Let me quickly go through the conversation.

6:54 PM

Let me quickly review the previous chat.

We have not heard from you for some time. Do you wish to continue to chat?

I see that the refrigerator is not cooling, am I correct?

yes. The solution provided did not work to correct the problem of the upper compartment not cooling

we tried the reset

The lower portion freezer is working

And you have unplugged the refrigerator and plug it back and set the temperatures and enable the power cool still it is not cooling, am I correct?

correct

6:57 PM

that was about 6 hours ago. it still is at 55F

6:58 PM

I see on your support forums, this model in particular has had a large number of failures just like this

7:01 PM

Hi! this is Neethika. Welcome to Samsung Technical Support. I'll quickly go through the conversation.

Hello 

hello

I see that the fridge compartment is not cooling.

you are correct

Help me with the model number.
You'll find it on the label on the left interior panel of the refrigerator (usually starts with RF/RS/RM/RB/RH).

It is RF32FMQDBSR

I see many reports on your customer discussion forum with this specific problem on this specific model

if you need the serial number it is W76643BF402461Y

Thank you for the model number.

Thank you for the serial number.

As of now, there are no such reported issues in our database.

When did you set the desired temperatures?

7:07 PM

6 hours ago

There are 13 pages of discussion of this issue on your customer support website at https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Kitchen/thread-id/699/page/1

I really appreciate your efforts on doing this.

Here at Samsung, we want to provide our customers with the best solution possible and we try to exhaust all possible resources and channels.

Samsung doesn’t want to see its customers being upset or unhappy. We intend to provide an exceptional customer service and experience to each of our customers.

Sometimes it is possible that the product does not work as expected and that could be for various reasons. 

Samsung does strive to produce the best product and give the best service.

thank you, i have been pleased with all of our other samsung products

7:11 PM

It seems an internal issue with the fridge compartment, it needs to be diagnosed by a technician.

That is what I've seen discussed in the forum pages as well

It seems that for each, the end result was that there was nothing the tech could do

7:13 PM

hopefully it will not take the time and the financial impact described in the pages

I've checked with my supervisor, service is the only available option.

Would that be at Samsung's expense?

7:16 PM

If you read through the forum pages, it seems some have paid $500 in service calls that ultimately ended without a solution

7:18 PM

Let me check the warranty information on the refrigerator.

I see that the warranty has ended on 06/30/2015.

Since the warranty has expired, the service would be charged.

7:20 PM

I thought there was a five year warranty on internal parts

7:21 PM

Yes, I'm referring to the standard warranty. However, the refrigerator comes with 5 year warranty on sealed system parts.

If the tech determines issue with any of the sealed system, it will be covered under warranty.

If not, the service will be charged0.

What is the cost of service calls?

I really wish I had the service fee calculator in hand but that is only available with the service techs and the service centers.

7:23 PM

Once I file the service, you'll be contacted within 2 business days, they'll let you know the cost as well.

7:24 PM

Are we good to file the service?

7:25 PM

Unfortunately, if this follows the route of the support forum conversations, the loss of time and financial commitment would make us another one of the statistics that you say you do not have in your data base

at this point I am skeptical that your service will find a solution

Service Bulletins are published for informational purposes only and intended for use only by person qualified for the specific task depicted.

The information contained in the service bulletin doesn't expand or otherwise alter Samsung's standard limited warranty applicable to the product.

are you sure their is nothing that Samsung can do?

That does not cause a financial burden to the customer?

A technician would visit your place and determine where the actual problem is and give it a fix.

7:29 PM

As it is more than 2 years out of warranty, unfortunately, there is no option, it'll cost the repair.

7:30 PM

I believe we are at the point of cutting our losses and getting a non-Samsung refrigerator. Unfortunate because I've liked our Washer, Dryer, Stove, Phones, and TVs

useruuL8T9ZxT0
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My refrigerator just stopped cooling today. It’s out of warranty now. This is absolutely the worst purchase I’ve ever made. When we first got it had problems with the water dispenser they tried to fix it but couldn’t so they replaced the refrigerator. Then we kept having problems with the ice maker, (and still do to this day). They replaced it again. Still the same problems with ice maker. Now we have a $4000 piece of junk that want cool. I’m not even gonna waste my time calling Samsung and go through this run around. But I will not EVER buy anything with their name on it again. Oh and when we first got it and was having all the problems my wife got on here and told them it was junk and got a email from Samsung asking her to not go on here anymore and post negative stuff about them.

Samsung_il782FF
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

wow, I don't have this frig has the big flaulty design.  I really like this frig alot.  Mine has been stop cooling for 2 weeks.  Same problem.  Top frig doesn't work.  Freezer and select compartment work OK.  It was identified a seal system problem.  Now, I am in the process of waiting to hear from Samsung for the next step.  It's been 3 days so far.  I was told my ticket will be moved to higher management team.  Lucky for me that I still have few more months before the warranty of the seal system expired.  I hope that they can come to the decision quickly.  I have been 2 days out of work to be with the tech.