cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userdHXn4gnLxR
Constellation

6 year old RF267AERS making weird noise

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We have had this since 2012, and it has been operating fine until a few weeks ago.

We are familiar with all the hissing, purging, tumbling .noises from this fridge, from the water line to the icemaker to the compressor.  But a few weeks ago, a 'new' noise was exhibited by our refrigerator.

It sounds very much like a stepper motor, ...going a few 'rounds', then stops....Then it repeats itself.  The noise comes on for pretty much 15 - 20 minutes, with the motor sound (very much like it's trying to start something).  Then it is silent for several hours, before repeating all over.

Can anyone shed light on this phenomenon ?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userdHXn4gnLxR
Constellation

Re: 6 year old RF267AERS making weird noise

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thanks folks I believe the problem has been solved. Turns out that the ice maker has frozen over. We didn't use it during the winter, and it was stuck with ice. So when we tried to have ice dispensed, only a couple of cubes came out, which led to me opening the ice maker to check and found that the upper compartment was almost iced solid. Took some jiggling to loosen the cubes/ice....and since then, the ice maker is dispensing properly and the noise is gone.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This may be the defrost timer, but you will want a technician to diagnose any issues of this type.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Valor8181
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No defrost timer defrost is controlled by PCb o dont know what a stepper motor is but if the a fan motor is making a loud wierd noise it could be ice build up in and around fan and blade do to bad condensat drain line frozen and nipples on back need to be cut and opened more for water to flow out look inside fridge or freezer or both depending on model so you have water or ice building up on or in those sections at the bottom of either or both if so you have a drain problem leading to the fan problem ad eventually cooling problem

userdHXn4gnLxR
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thanks folks I believe the problem has been solved. Turns out that the ice maker has frozen over. We didn't use it during the winter, and it was stuck with ice. So when we tried to have ice dispensed, only a couple of cubes came out, which led to me opening the ice maker to check and found that the upper compartment was almost iced solid. Took some jiggling to loosen the cubes/ice....and since then, the ice maker is dispensing properly and the noise is gone.