Original topic:

Can someone tell me what each of these parts in a Gas Range does....

(Topic created on: 3/23/21 7:02 AM)
useru3t3jVfYyE
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I had asked a question previously an the Samsung support personnel did not answer my question beyond their usual list of "try this" (none of which have worked which I explained). 

So I will rephrase it in hopes someone from Samsung will answer this SPECIFIC question and not continue the run around. 

1. What does ignitor (PN: DG94-00520A) do?

2. What does the Sensor-Thermistor (PN DG32-00002B) do?

(By way of explanation my range lights but gets stuck on 175 as many have stated here. I have used the "Self Clean" Hack to get it past 175 and then turn to bake and as long as the oven is beyond 200 or so that works and it will get to whatever temp I have set (350 or 375 or whatever). So I know it is not that the gas is not being "ignited". I suspect it is the part that acts as a thermostat telling the oven when more gas needs to be burned to raise the temp. And I believe that is the "Sensor-Thermistor" and NOT the "igniter" (the gas IS igniting after all). But I have tried all the other things and I JUST want an answer to this question. Its not on DEMO mode, I have shut off the breakers, I have tried it with a burner on the top lit (so its not too high pressure). blah blah blah.....I JUST want to know which part determines when gas needs to be "sent" and when to stop/slow the flow of gas. I KNOW IT IGNITES. That's NOT my question. Sorry for the long and snarky response but its frustrating when I asked a very clear question previously and got corporate doubletalk. Especially when it deals with an issue that clearly a LOT of customers are facing. I would have thought Samsung would care more to offer specific guidance and answer the questions asked thoughtfully.)  

0 Likes
14 Replies
HiddenAce
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
I'm no gas expert, but it sounds like you are on the correct path. If it ignites and heats up, but stops heating at a certain temp, then it sounds like your thermostat/thermistor has gone bad. If it is a convection, make sure the fan/blower is also running. I don't know much about ranges but I repair medical equipment and those are common failures with our electric blanket warmers which operate very similar to an oven.
0 Likes
useru3t3jVfYyE
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thank you. I have seen responses where some posted the Thermistor and stated that they needed to replace the igniter and my first post tried to clarify between the two but I got the C&P response from Samsung about the fixes and if that doesn't work call for service. I knew the stove was igniting so am pretty sure its a thermostat but I couldn't get a clear answer about the difference between the Thermistor and the igniter people had posted. Thanks.

I welcome other thoughts people may have. I don't want to buy both if I can avoid it. ;) 

0 Likes
Dewddan
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
A ignitor is the part the actually ignites the gas when it is introduced to the burners. the thermistor is what regulates the temp within the oven.
0 Likes
useru3t3jVfYyE
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

That's what I assumed but (as I stated above) some have posted the Thermistor and called it an igniter which didn't make sense to me. I was hoping someone from Samsung would clarify but all I got previously was the C&P "try this" list.  As I said, the oven does get hot enough when I use the "Self Clean" then "Bake" hack but I want to avoid that (call me crazy! ha), so I am assuming it is a thermostat of some type rather than an igniter. 

0 Likes
HiddenAce
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
I'm guessing that when in "clean" mode, it electrically bypasses the thermistor signal so it can heat up beyond any cooking modes.
0 Likes
useru3t3jVfYyE
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

HiddenAce that makes sense to me from a design standpoint. 

0 Likes
Dewddan
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
To me it sounds like the thermostatic control valve might be sticking or control panel might have to be replaced. been a common issue with electronic units.
0 Likes
useru3t3jVfYyE
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I am not familiar with a valve that is different? I had assumed (and maybe incorrectly) that the thermostat measures the difference between the temp in the oven and the temp requested on the control panel and either allows gas to flow (to increase the temp) or shuts off/reduces gas flow to maintain or allow temp to drop. What PN is this valve you are referring to? I've not seen anything distinguish between valves for cooking temps versus valves for self cleaning or other? And if that were the case (one valve for cooking at specific temps and one valve for cleaning) then the "self clean hack" wouldn't work no?

0 Likes
Dewddan
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
what is your model and serial # I will look up the part number for you
0 Likes