Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fanris147
Asteroid

DW80R9950UG Dishwasher won't connect to my home network

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi all,

First time posting here on the community boards.  Just recently got our kitchen redone with some brand new Samsung kitchen appliances and setup went pretty smooth on everything except the dishwasher.  The only hang up that I have right now is that the dishwasher won't connect to my home network so I can use the smart control feature on it.  The story goes:

1. Ran through the setup app in SmartThings

2. Connect my phone to the dishwasher AP

3. Enter my 2.4Ghz home network SSID and passphrase that I previously connected my samsung washer and dryer to.

4. Waited at the last step where it is trying to register my dishwasher and after about 5 minutes it times out and comes back with an error message saying the wifi setup was not successful.

I've tried this about 5 times with the same error message at the very end.  I didn't have that much issue with the washer and dryer when doing this and I got both of them on my SmartThings app right now with the same wifi network.  I know its not a big deal because you can still use the dishwasher normally but I was looking forward on using the SmartThings feature.

I have a Linksys 3200 ACM router with both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network being broadcasted on seperate SSID names.  Currently have the 2.4Ghz radio set to channel 6 (due to another smart device issue).  If I had to take a guess what is going on here I think the dishwasher for some reason can't connect to the router and get a local network address and just times out and gives up.

Not sure if anyone else has had this issue before?

Thanks for any help on this matter.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fanris147
Asteroid

Re: DW80R9950UG Dishwasher won't connect to my home network

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Huh, you know you were close.  Apperently I found what was causing the issue.  Turns out for this dishwasher model that it doesn't seem to like special characters in the password.   I changed the password to something simple and it worked.  So I remade my wifi password with a 30 characters password with characters and numbers and it connected.  

Happy that worked.  Thanks for support in the matter.  Helped me figure out what to try next.

5 REPLIES 5
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just to confirm, are these the steps you are following to connect the dishwasher?

To register your device to SmartThings
1. Make sure your smartphone is connected to a wireless network.
2. Run SmartThings on your smartphone. iPhone users are required to provide the login
information each time they access the app.
3. When a message of “A new device is found.”, select Add.
4. If no message appears, select + and then select your dishwasher in a list of devices
available. If your dishwasher is not listed, select Device Type > Specific Device Model,
and then add your dishwasher manually.
5. Follow the on screen instructions to complete the connection process for your
dishwasher. Press and hold Smart Control for more than 5 seconds until the "AP"
message appears on the display. Your dishwasher will be registered with the app.
6. When the process is complete, your dishwasher will appear in the list of devices on
your SmartThings App.
7. Tap the dishwasher icon to open the dishwasher page.
8. When a network connection is established, the Wi-Fi icon lights up on your dishwasher.

Fanris147
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Correct, I've followed those steps and get stuck at the end of step 5 when the dishwasher is trying to connect to the internet to get registered for the SmartThings app.  On the screen: "Please wait for Dishwasher to be registered to your Samsung account."  The error message is this after about 5 minutes:

"Couldn't add device

There's a connection problem or the current Wi-Fi network isn't compatible with your Dishwasher.  Check to make sure the network is working correctly or try a different network."

Tapping Ok returns me back to my SmartThings home page with my washer and dryer.  I've also tried unplugging, waiting 10 minutes, plugging my router back

in and still have the same problem.  Here's some screen capture of my phone during the process.

SmartThings Home Screen.jpegSmartThings - Main Screen with configured dryer and washer using the same wifi networkConnecting to Dishwasher.PNGConnecting to the dishwasher when the dishwasher is in AP modeRegistering.PNGRegistering the dishwasherConfiguring Network.PNGEntering my wifi credentials for my 2.4GHz network.Error Message.PNGAfter about 5 minutes of waiting I get this error message

I hope that sort of helps.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you tried using a shorter Wi-Fi password?

Fanris147
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Huh, you know you were close.  Apperently I found what was causing the issue.  Turns out for this dishwasher model that it doesn't seem to like special characters in the password.   I changed the password to something simple and it worked.  So I remade my wifi password with a 30 characters password with characters and numbers and it connected.  

Happy that worked.  Thanks for support in the matter.  Helped me figure out what to try next.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Great! We're glad to hear it. Thank you for the information. You are welcome.