cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userXQnxBC9sFK
Constellation

Disappointing First Experience with Samsung Support - Family Hub

Over the weekend I purchased a 28 Cubmit ft Samsung Family Hub refrigerator from our local retailer (approx $4000 retail).  I was excited to install and work with all the bells and whistles on this unit (RF28N9780SG/AA) as I work as a software engineer in the tech field.  Unfortunately I could not be more disappointed with the highly touted tech features (specifically related to the mobile app and the Family Hub).

First off, I installed the lated firmware on the refrigerator, and rebooted.  I added two users (one for me and one for my wife) and tested out the voice commands.  Everything thus far worked great. However, when it came to the mobile apps, everything started to fall apart. 

A flyer included with the refrigerator suggested installing the "Smart Home" app--which currently has a 1 star rating.  I have several other Samsung devices (OLED and QLED TVs, Soundbars, etc.) that all use the SmartThings app, so I was suprised to have to install yet another app--but I did.  Unfortunately, I could never get my refrigerator to connect using this app.

I then installed the "Family Hub" app and tried installing the refrigerator, and came to the section which required me to provide my phone number so that I could receive an authorization code.  However, the code was never sent to my phone.  After two consecutive retries (of resending the code), I got a "Daily SMS limit reached" message.

I went into my Samsung account and verified that all my information (i.e. email, phone number, etc.) was current.  I also waited till the following day to try receiving the authorization code again, but I never received one.  I also tried using the SmartThings app, and was able to at least communicate with the refrigerator, but was never able to get the Family Hub service to work. 

After exhasting all my available troubleshooting skills, I finally contacted support via chat (as their phone support was not available on Sunday--even though it says there is 24/7 support).  The guy told me to reboot the refrigerator (which I did) and try using the SmartThings app to connect to the family hub.  Again, no authorization code was sent.  He told me to contact support on Monday (today), which I did, and was told by the support staff that they could not help me, and transferred me to another department where I got cut off.  I called back, and again was transferred to another department, and was finally able to speak with someone who told me this is a known problem, and that they would escalate it to their tier-two support staff (and I should be hearing back from them mid-week).

Still no answers.  I assume their SMS service was probably down over the weekend, and just needs to be restarted.

3 REPLIES 3
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Disappointing First Experience with Samsung Support - Family Hub

@userXQnxBC9sFK I can certainly understand the frustration and would be delighted to look into this for you. Do you happen to have a ticket number that you were given?

userDdtUto7m8h
Constellation

This mirrors our experience exactly, even down to "It's a known issue".   We were supposed to get a call about two weeks ago; still no call.  

userixDl9psNjv
Constellation

Having same issue .. hope they have some answers