cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Dishwasher auto release not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have having the exact same problem just like the MANY other people mentioned in this thread:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Kitchen-and-Family-Hub/Dishwasher-auto-release/td-p/1101335

My DW80R9950US dishwasher is not opening the door after its cycle. Like other customers have reported, my dishwasher worked perfectly for the first 4 cycles, opening the door at the end of the cycle. The dishwasher has been run 24 times since then (according to my Smart Things app) and it has never again opened itself. Instead the door stays shut (even if left to sit overnight), and the dishes inside stay soaking wet.

I checked, and the door AutoRelease setting is definitely turned on. When going into the settings, it shows "A1". The Smart Things app also shows that it is enabled.

Other people have said that if "High Temp" or "Sanitize" is turned on, that their dishwashers would not open at the end of the cycle, but that if they turned those options off, the dishwasher would open. I tried this with mine, and it had no effect: it still doesn't open.

I then tried the self-test: Press ON, then press and hold "Delay Start" until the display shows "17h", then hold "High Temp" until the display shows "AS", press Start, and close the door. It runs through the five-minute self test, displaying 1-5 with no errors, and at the end it DOES pop open the door. I have tried this multiple times, and it works EVERY time. So the door latch release mechanism is definitely not broken.

Something is definitely wrong. Why are so many people having the exact same problem with this dishwasher? Why is the self test working fine and opening the door consistently, but it never opens the door at the end of a regular wash cycle? And why are so many people, like myself, seeing that the door Auto Release works perfectly for the first 3-4 wash cycles, and then stops working entirely? Why are people having service calls where the tech declares nothing wrong, and yet the problem is still not fixed?

This seems like a design fault to me. How do we get it fixed? Besides the fact that my dishes are left soaking wet, and that this dishwasher does not clean anywhere as well as the (far cheaper) one that it replaced, I'm really unhappy with my new Samsung ownership experience so far.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: Dishwasher auto release not working

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So my tech arrived yesterday to look at my dishwasher. He knew immediately what the problem was, and already had the part (part number DD97-00256A) with him. He said he has replaced "a lot" of these door openers. He thinks the one he installed is an upgraded version Samsung has put out to try to fix the problem, but to me the new one looked exactly the same as the old one. Here's a picture of the one he took out.

Failed partFailed partIt's pretty simple. A tiny 120 volt  solenoid (at the bottom of the picture) pulls back against a strong spring (in the middle, just above the solenoid), actuating some plastic arms that push out the two grey pieces (at the top). Those two grey pieces push out through two small slots at the top front of the dishwasher and physically shove the door open.

I ran a test wash right after he finished installing it, and can report that the problem is in fact fixed. I'll report back again in a few weeks on how the repaired part continues to work. Thanks to Samsung for getting the tech here reasonably quickly, and solving the problem with a minimum of red tape.

My tech, incidentally, was a very nice, personable young man who knew what he was doing and quickly had things fixed.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm having the same issue with my DW80M9550US.  The door release works fine on normal cycle, but when selecting "sanitize" or "heavy" or most other options, the door stays closed at the end of the cycle.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am having the same issue.  It worked for the first few weeks and hasn't since.  I definitely have all the settings set correctly.  It  slightly popped open once over the last 20 wash cycles.  It would be helpful if Samsung responed with a solution instead of the intructions on how to activate this feature.  It seems everyone complaining about this has followed all of the proper steps.  I am trying to avoid having a tech come to my home due to COVID-19 and hope they can offer a solution to remedy this.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, just to give everyone another possible solution on this issue. I've experienced it myself and I determined it was the the screws that were installed by our contractor that go into the cabinet boxes on either side. Tightened them and worked perfectly again after that. Also, make sure your settings are correct too.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This is something I would recommend a service technician having a look at. Send your full model code and serial number via private message or call 1-800-SAMSUNG directly to get this set up.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So my tech arrived yesterday to look at my dishwasher. He knew immediately what the problem was, and already had the part (part number DD97-00256A) with him. He said he has replaced "a lot" of these door openers. He thinks the one he installed is an upgraded version Samsung has put out to try to fix the problem, but to me the new one looked exactly the same as the old one. Here's a picture of the one he took out.

Failed partFailed partIt's pretty simple. A tiny 120 volt  solenoid (at the bottom of the picture) pulls back against a strong spring (in the middle, just above the solenoid), actuating some plastic arms that push out the two grey pieces (at the top). Those two grey pieces push out through two small slots at the top front of the dishwasher and physically shove the door open.

I ran a test wash right after he finished installing it, and can report that the problem is in fact fixed. I'll report back again in a few weeks on how the repaired part continues to work. Thanks to Samsung for getting the tech here reasonably quickly, and solving the problem with a minimum of red tape.

My tech, incidentally, was a very nice, personable young man who knew what he was doing and quickly had things fixed.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the detail.  Did he have to pull the dishwasher to install this, or could he do it without that?  My dishwasher would be a pain if they have to remove it because of its location.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

An update: It's failed again. I've run the dishwasher four times now, it worked ONCE, the very first time. Since then it's never worked again.

This is so very obviously a design problem. I'm not going to bother attempting another repair where the repair guy comes out, replaces a part that was designed faulty with another identical part that still doesn't work.

This is SO FRUSTRATING, especially on what is supposedly a "high end" dishwasher!

This is my first ever Samsung appliance. It is also my LAST Samsung appliance. Ever.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Posted in another reply but I'll post here for your visibility.

Hi, just to give everyone another possible solution on this issue. I've experienced it myself and I determined it was the the screws that were installed by our contractor that go into the cabinet boxes on either side. Tightened them and worked perfectly again after that. Also, make sure your settings are correct too.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This was my problem as well.  A screw was preventing the door from popping open.