JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Dishwasher auto release not working

(Topic created on: 1/16/21 8:10 PM)
useruAKz6aDRec
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have having the exact same problem just like the MANY other people mentioned in this thread:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Kitchen-and-Family-Hub/Dishwasher-auto-release/td-p/1101335

My DW80R9950US dishwasher is not opening the door after its cycle. Like other customers have reported, my dishwasher worked perfectly for the first 4 cycles, opening the door at the end of the cycle. The dishwasher has been run 24 times since then (according to my Smart Things app) and it has never again opened itself. Instead the door stays shut (even if left to sit overnight), and the dishes inside stay soaking wet.

I checked, and the door AutoRelease setting is definitely turned on. When going into the settings, it shows "A1". The Smart Things app also shows that it is enabled.

Other people have said that if "High Temp" or "Sanitize" is turned on, that their dishwashers would not open at the end of the cycle, but that if they turned those options off, the dishwasher would open. I tried this with mine, and it had no effect: it still doesn't open.

I then tried the self-test: Press ON, then press and hold "Delay Start" until the display shows "17h", then hold "High Temp" until the display shows "AS", press Start, and close the door. It runs through the five-minute self test, displaying 1-5 with no errors, and at the end it DOES pop open the door. I have tried this multiple times, and it works EVERY time. So the door latch release mechanism is definitely not broken.

Something is definitely wrong. Why are so many people having the exact same problem with this dishwasher? Why is the self test working fine and opening the door consistently, but it never opens the door at the end of a regular wash cycle? And why are so many people, like myself, seeing that the door Auto Release works perfectly for the first 3-4 wash cycles, and then stops working entirely? Why are people having service calls where the tech declares nothing wrong, and yet the problem is still not fixed?

This seems like a design fault to me. How do we get it fixed? Besides the fact that my dishes are left soaking wet, and that this dishwasher does not clean anywhere as well as the (far cheaper) one that it replaced, I'm really unhappy with my new Samsung ownership experience so far.

18 Replies
userFJd9dFZDXa
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have found a bit of lubrication seems to help. Tool in a can etc. (just a little)

0 Likes
userYArdw1jcxQ
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Just bought this machine less than a month ago, only have 15 cycles on it, and it has happened at least 2-3 times to me. So it is working sometimes but sometimes not. I have not used "sanitize" or "high-temp" option. I also run the self-test and at the end it pops open the door as well. I guess i will contact support as well.

useruAKz6aDRec
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The part is on the top of the dishwasher, at the front, so yes, the dishwasher has to be pulled out about six inches to replace the part.

0 Likes
userYArdw1jcxQ
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thanks, good to know. Given COVID-19, i really dont want to request a service repair, but a brand new machine with a failed feature is also making me frustrated. I will talk to samsung and seek a solution. 

BTW: does technitian say the replacement will last much longer?

0 Likes
useruAKz6aDRec
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

He seemed to think the replacement part was upgraded to fix the problems, but I guess nobody knows for sure until they fail!

0 Likes
useruAKz6aDRec
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

As I mentioned, even though the supposed cause of the problem - the door release solenoid - was replaced by the technician, the problem was not fixed.

I did find that if I put a little bit of lubrication (I used white lithium grease) on the tab on the door that goes INTO this part, it definitely helps. The door will pop open for about 10-15 washes, then it starts sticking closed again. At that point I have to lubricate it once again.

This is so obviously a design fault, and SO many people are experiencing it, Samsung really needs to do something to fix it, and make it right with the owners who have spent so much on this expensive piece of junk.

This was my first ever Samsung appliance. 

This will be my last ever Samsung appliance.

userBAvQ5cfbfj
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have the exact same problem and Samsung has been giving me hard time. My unit is still under warranty. When the technician came the unit passes the test and insisted it is fine but it is not.  I asked for service again, they said that they can send a technician again but if they will charge me for the service if the technician decides that the unit is working fine. I am so frustrated 

user8NLo21rXWe
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have the same problem with my Dishwasher and it is barely a year old.  Is Samsung covering the cost to repair?  I reported the problem about 6 months ago & they said "Unplug" & "Plug" back in.  Cord is hidden behind the dishwasher, so not an option. Other recommendation was the setting, which I know are all correct.

0 Likes
userCbLkkWe4oT
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I had the same problem....worked fine for the first month or so, then stopped. I checked settings, Power Off reset, no joy.

Ran the self test described in another thread and it failed. I lubricated the latch with Lithium grease as recommended by anther person...It works !! 

The latch is just sticking from friction, and not much friction at that. Light application of white lithium grease (see your auto parts store) and now it works the way it did when new.

So I guess this  is a maintenance item to add to the my other routine chores.

0 Likes