cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user49nI1VXMiJ
Asteroid

Don't buy a Samsung Wall Oven: Self-cleaning kills the oven

We bought a Samsung Single Oven NV51K6650SG in March 2019. Used 3 hours Self-Cleaning for the first time last Monday and boom, the door is locked and the display is dark. Unfortunately I didn't read the forum first, otherwise I would have found out that numerous customers since 2015 encountered the same experience before us. 

Now the oven sits neatly inside the frames of our kitchen and is mounted into the side panels from the inside of the oven. As we cannot open the oven door, there is no way to unmount the unit and move it out to fix it. 

We have Samsung TVs, Galaxy phones,  a fridge/freezer with family hub, an induction cooktop and a microwave, all from this company which I believed was famous for their quality. But this oven is a misconstruction! There should at least be a mechanical release of the oven door to unscrew the build-in oven from the side walls. 

Although we are still under warranty, I'm afraid that we have to damage our kitchen furniture to get to the oven. What a mess. Samsung could at least put a large label on the user's manual which reads: "Don't use self-cleaning!".

Is there a way to return the product to Samsung for a refund as it is not performing to its specifications?

7 REPLIES 7
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Don't buy a Samsung Wall Oven: Self-cleaning kills the oven

I am sorry to hear about your negative experience. Have you tried tripping the breaker to reset the panel?

user49nI1VXMiJ
Asteroid

Of course. That is what has been suggested to lots of customers who had the same experience. And of course it did NOT fix the problem. How can I get the oven door to open, please?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

This would require service to resolve the symptom. 

user49nI1VXMiJ
Asteroid

Thanks, at least you care about my problem.

I reported my problem on the Samsung Support site and requested service under warranty (until 8/31/19). I was given an appointment date and time of today between noon and 4 pm. Yesterday evening I received a call from Samsung service provider that this time window would not be available and I should call. I called this morning and to make a long story short got a new date and time for Friday, 5/24/19, between 8 am and 12 pm. The dispatcher I talked to was very well aware of the problem which exists for a long time now and agree that a recall of the product would be needed to fix this problem.

I know one thing for sure: even if my problem gets fixed on Friday, the next time I use self-clean I end up with the same mess and the oven door is locked and the display is dark. Until I'm out of warranty when I have to pay the repair myself!

What a product! Now I understand the frustration of so many people who promise not to buy Samsung again.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Please keep me posted on the repair. 

user49nI1VXMiJ
Asteroid

Today, Friday, 5/24/19, Dish service repaired my oven on behalf of Samsung under warranty. They used the wire cloth hanger to open the oven door which was locked after the power went off. After that they took the oven out of the cabinet and replaced the high temperature sensor. Fortunately, the electronics board was still OK, but we were adviced to better not use the "self-cleaning" function again. Otherwise we might run in the same problem once more. 

It is a shame that a Samsung product does NOT live up to its specification. Self-cleaning is an essential function of each oven as it is getting very dirty in particular after one uses "Steam Roast" to prepare meat. 

We might need to cut holes in the side panels left and right of the cabinet to let the heat vent out. Perhaps this cures the problem. I verified with the installation instruction that no gap is required between the back wall and the back of the oven to provide sufficient ventilation of the oven during self-clean. 

If you like I can keep you posted on this matter.

user49nI1VXMiJ
Asteroid

Now that our oven is repaired, I tried to execute the Self-diagnosis according to the Installation Manual. But I connot press "Keep Warm" and "9" simultaneously because there is no "9". I see "Keep Warm" but no key pad for the "9". And of course I turned the oven ON before. Any idea?

Thank you.