Original topic:

Easy Accidental Turn On

(Topic created on: 12/17/19 8:08 AM)
user1OUc2R1Yok
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob. 

This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.

My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.

Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that  money and all that care and here was this mess.

I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.

These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking. 

I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.

Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.

256 Replies
user1innOQfgbr
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This might be a "working" solution...but has anybody thought about the possibility that doing this on their own, using non-Samsung "parts" purchased from Home Depot...might VOID their WARRANTY?

Just sayin. Have you read the "fine print"?

Michael_Scott
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

It DOES void your warranty, as I think I mentioned over a year ago in this forum. 

0 Likes
userbB5UGU2ddz
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Genius.   I just picked up 4 9/16 rubber grommets and it makes turning on the knobs much harder. I may shave one down to see what the perfect width should be. 

We wont be having any accidental fires now!

When we remodeled the kitchen the tile guys installing the backsplash had a tarp down and they accidentally turned on the stove.  Burned a big hole in the tarp. Could have been worse. 

At christmas we had a big crowd in the kitchen an the stove got turned on 4 times. Like a butt dial. 

Samsung should be forced to mail a set of grommets to everyone who bought one of these and pay the dude that came up with the solution a royalty. 

userut5aBfdFKK
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thank you for the idea.  Too bad Samsung isn't the type of company to step up and do this for consumers who bought their extremely poorly designed product . If THIS is their expectations for how their products should work , I'm not impressed . Won't be buying Samsung ever again!

0 Likes
userQQHLrsQwq8
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

...Or simply wrap around the knob (i.e. inside the gap between the knob and the panel surface) some ribbon or fine thread until the knob gets as tight as you wish it to be.....do the knot couple of times and cut the extra ribbon..

I used the ribbon (from 99c store)  to tighten our kitchen sink faucet handle which kept moving at a whim..

BTW the ribbon stays invisible  while doing the trouble shooting well....

0 Likes
user1innOQfgbr
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

"MAYBE" that works... For YOU... But it's a BS solution for what is clearly a design/manufacturing defect. 

Also, you've no doubt nullified your warranty and literally added "fuel" to any potential fire scenario by putting additional flammable materials into the mix!

No offense, but give your head a shake and consider joining/launching a class action suit. 

0 Likes
userQQHLrsQwq8
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

...that's what I've done for my 1 year old "General Electric" range already out of warranty.

My  suggestion wasn't meant to downplay your endeavor to go for a class action. Just a make do solution!

p.s. The use of a heat- resistant thread  a good alternative to regular ribbon or thread.Thanks for the alert. 

0 Likes
userG0ckU9aUJH
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Afternoon, I recently bought this same unit and have the same issue. I like the groomer idea but how do you take the knobs off to put them?

0 Likes
user1innOQfgbr
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Grab. Pull. 

0 Likes
banditkjay68
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I also called Samsung and they told me that it was designed to turn on easily. They said not many people complained about this problem but there were a few. Our oven has turned on many times accidentally. It is "extremely" dangerous and Samsung is willing to do NOTHING to rectify the problem. They told me to buy child knob protectors so they can't be turned. I'm not putting baby locks on my stove. I am going to try the grommet idea. SAMSUNG... YOU NEED TO STEP UP! Mail out new safety kobs to all your customers. You need to rectify this problem before someone gets killed because of this design flaw.