Original topic:

Easy Accidental Turn On

(Topic created on: 5/22/17 10:14 AM)
user1OUc2R1Yok
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob. 

This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.

My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.

Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that  money and all that care and here was this mess.

I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.

These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking. 

I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.

Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.

256 Replies
userzIVkoWuCJu
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Did the Rangesafe knobs work?  Do they have options for high low burner control lables?

0 Likes
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
see my message at the bottom
0 Likes
user2MasgQGizl
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

It's not just Samsung. My LG stove has the same problem. It easily turns on if you bump the knob. Almost burnt my kitchen down. 

0 Likes
userKBMVqB3SKy
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Omg, I thought it was just me having this issue.  My husband and I were hanging a tile backsplash and I had the top of the stove protected with a piece of cardboard, I was surprised when I started smelling something was burning.  I can't tell you how many times this has happened even though I'm aware of the issue.  I have small grandchildren and I'm getting worried about the safety of it.  Such poor product testing if you ask me.

userHT2T0kxWyP
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Does anyone have any pictures of damage caused by this

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Are you having this issue?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userFu22nKz4b5
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Yes, mine has accidentally turned on 3 times.  Once catching a towel on fire and once burning a pizza box.  The last time nothing was on the stove, thankfully.

JBarbs
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Did samsung help you find a solution?

0 Likes
MFColorado
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Samsung does not have an answer because they say "the stove operates to their specifications."  You must purchase the grommets I mentioned in previous posts in order to make the stove knobs much more secure.

userbWqvjjscFX
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Yes!!!
0 Likes