Original topic:

Easy Accidental Turn On

(Topic created on: 3/23/20 3:03 PM)
user1OUc2R1Yok
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob. 

This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.

My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.

Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that  money and all that care and here was this mess.

I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.

These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking. 

I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.

Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.

256 Replies
usery7W4dmKtad
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Knob control is poor quality and easily turned on by accident when accessing microwave above it. Samsung service on here projects some care but I Have contacted SAMSUNG customer service who was terrible. They do care but there not fixing anything that cost them. Basicly told me to call someone and fix myself.

This part cost Samsung less than $5 and they would let people be injured or die  instead of taking reponsibility for poor quality products. NEVER BUY ANOTHER SAMSUNG PRODUCT .

0 Likes
userpMC56vfyKM
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We have one your best electric ovens.  It’s a slide-in model so the controls are in the front..  If you accidentally brush against it, it turns on!   This is unsafe!

What is Samsung’s solution?  Ive seen others with the same complaint.

0 Likes
Carrottop
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Y'all make this so much more of a issue then what's it's supposed to be it's simple ya pay attention do what the directions say and hope that those are correct and go from there.

0 Likes
useraIyy6I6h4R
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Unbelievable! Just had a Pyrex dish explode into a million pieces when my guest barely leaned up against the stove and turned on burner. Happened so many times before- son burnt his hands before too.  Products liability, manufacturer defect 101! I want a new stove or replacement parts! So dangerous can't imagine the potential liability/ punitive damages coming from lawsuits here. 

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

@useraIyy6I6h4R I apologize for your experiences. Will you please send a private message with the model code and serial number so I may look into this further for you?  http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

@useraIyy6I6h4R  Good morning! I wanted to follow up with you to see if you are still in need of assistance?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userhGj0jweHFl
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Ok , we just installed our special ordered Tuscan color SS slide in electric range a couple of weeks ago in our brand new renovated kitchen. We were just checking  the bead board panels fitted under our new white cabinets and had a couple of decorative plastic panels to install when we moved some stuff over from the countertop onto the stove while checking the backsplash fit up. I went outside to paint the beadboard and in five minutes my wife was screaming FIRE. The knob on the front panel had moved and started a plastic fire on the range. I had to use the fire extinguisher to put out the fire. This has ruined our upper cabinets and new microwave and caused massive smoke damage throughout our house. We called the fire department and they set up fans to ventilate and wrote up a report. The firemen pulled out the stove and unplugged it. They also turned on a knob while sliding the range out and commented that the range was dangerous! We are now considering legal matters.

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

@userhGj0jweHFl    We are sorry to hear about this. Please send the model and serial numbers to this PM Link, and we will look in to this.

userut5aBfdFKK
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I just got off the phone with Samsung after filing a complaint . They're saying this is the way the product is "designed" and it's performing to expectations !!! Horrible company and thank goodness there are companies out there who stand behind their products . Will go to them .  Anyone had some good experiences with some other brands of kitchen appliances ? Would love to hear who they are.

0 Likes
userK5G8b93PxB
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have a similar problem but with another danger added in. My front right turbo burner (I have a gas range) is absolutely useless. It is half the power of the other front turbo, PLUS, when I go to turn it down, the flame disappears entirely. (I found this out accidentally. Also, I need to actually TAP the burner to get it to light!)

Well, we went away for a 3 day weekend, and get a call from my son who lives next door. He had gone in to use our laundry, and immediately smelled gas!!!  Seems the front burner was on all weekend. I am so glad he did not turn on any lights. 

He called the fire department per my directions and got out of there. Luckily, we were due home in a couple of hours, but it was a very long drive, as you can imagine.

I called Samsung the next day, and was told....they knew this was a problem with their ranges!!!!!!

I'm in the same boat. I can't in good conscience sell this thing, give it away, or get it fixed and this is why. Every tech I have called will not come look at it without Samsung contacting them to say what exactly they know is wrong with this. 

Now, maybe I shouldn't divulge that bit of  info when I try to get someone to come in. 

With the social distancing, it will be impossible to get anyone right now. 

But I don't know what to do?

Sorry for all the exclamations, but we are at our wits' end. We spent almost $900 on this piece of junk, and as we are retired, that is not pocket change. 

Please, someone...can anyone help us in how to fix this? Gas is a scary thing.

Thanks

0 Likes