Original topic:

Easy Accidental Turn On

(Topic created on: 7/22/20 5:59 PM)
user1OUc2R1Yok
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob. 

This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.

My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.

Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that  money and all that care and here was this mess.

I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.

These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking. 

I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.

Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.

 

256 Replies
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

@user7HuEmFll1B     I am sorry to hear about this. Please send the full model and serial numbers to this PM Link.


Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.





Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Reply
user8OTlZWIEAz
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Samsung, you need to step up your game and come up with a fix for these ranges. Its way too easy to accidentally bump the knob and turn on. Someone is going to loose there home, life or both over this defect. 

userNYBxx9uZYm
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Our home did catch fire. Pup bumped the knob. 

userZmFxqLmXv8
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

My cat slipped on the oven and turned the burner on, we woke up in the middle of the night to the whole oven on fire and my microwave( also Samsung) melting. 
my whole kitchen is destroyed along with smoke and soot damage through my whole house. 
we are displaced for months 

something needs to be done about this before someone dies 

0 Likes
Reply
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We are sorry to hear about this. Please send the model and serial numbers for the range, along with pictures of the damage, to this PM Link.


Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.





Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Reply
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thank you for the images.  Were you able to get the model number or anything in regards to the unit?  


Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Reply
user5hiVUwHAMK
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I bought my stove less than a year ago.  Many times the burners have came on from someone accidentally rubbing up against the knows.  I had a glass pan of brownies on the burner and thank God I was awake to smell they were burning.  

Samsung you need to fix this before houses or even worse lives are lost because of your poorly made products.  

0 Likes
Reply
userEDcTw9wASs
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We have had the same issue. Very dangerous design flaw! When we called Samsung it seemed like it was new news. Now we see that they are well aware of the problem. What will it take, some one to be killed?? Please update if there will be legal action. Thank you!

userrGnGgUbe26
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I would certainly love to be involved in any action against Samsung about these knobs. We went to bed one night and woke up to fire alarms going off. We came out and found my Tea kettle melting and it damaged my cooktop. Luckily, our fire sprinklers did not go off because that would have damaged the whole house. I am not going to stop until I get satisfaction!!!!

userNYBxx9uZYm
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Our home caught on fire due to our puppy bumping the knob. Humans knew the knobs turned on too easy. Pup did not.