JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Easy Accidental Turn On

(Topic created on: 1/23/21 3:13 PM)
user1OUc2R1Yok
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob. 

This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.

My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.

Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that  money and all that care and here was this mess.

I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.

These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking. 

I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.

Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.

256 Replies
userYsef0DMYHe
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have a Samsung NE58F9710WS stove and in the past we've had issues where we'd accidentally touch the knobs and cause the burner to turn on.  One such example was when a repairman was installing a new over-the range microwave, he had placed  a furniture cover on the stove below the microwave and it had caught fire.

Recently however, in a span of a few days we had noticed 2 or 3 times late at night or in the morning that the lower right burner had been turned on unattended, even though the knob was turned off.  The 'Hot Surface' LED was on and the burner was glowing orange and very hot.   Each time I only had to touch the knob one way and it turned off (even though it was already pointing to 'off').  So, we thought maybe someone had bumped into the knob and had set it on accidentally, even though this is the first time in the 4 years we have owned this stove that we've seen this random incident occur, multiple times too.

Anyways I bought a pack of grommets and figured that would solve our issue.  But, two days ago my wife said it happened again with the grommet installed!!

Every time it has been the lower right burner.  Has anyone else experienced this issue?

0 Likes
user0IeIb7160V
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I've also had this issue today. With having my appendix removed 6 days ago, I had a buddy offer to come over to install my new matching over the range microwave. Before installation, I placed a blanket over the top of the stove in order to prevent scratches  from debris. During this, one of us bumped the burner knob, causing the burner to turn on low with us not knowing until the blanket we smelt the aroma from the burning blanket. This happened multiple times with the burner turning to "high" this time. Thankfully we were there during this incident, but this could've been easily prevented for as expensive these things are. The range is beautiful and works amazing! But this is definitely a hazard, whether or not you have kids. Terrible design on Samsung. 

0 Likes
user1mZCf5Eb26
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We recently purchased the Samsung Model: NE63T8751SG. I really wish I would have done a little more research prior to purchase. This still poses a problem. As we were installing the above range Samsung microwave, one of us bumped the knob, and the box on the stove started to smoke. Thankfully no damage was done other than scuffing to the glass top of the stove.

CHILD SAFETY COVERS DO NOT WORK ON THE RECESSED KNOBS! Samsung is trying to use that as a catch all for their ovens, which is located here:https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01203557/

The grommet solution worked on 3 of the 4 burners, as one is still very easy to push in. 

This still posed a problem. We can't use the Range Safe knobs, because two of the knobs have special dual and trio settings.

After extensive research and seeing news outlets have covered the issue, I found a company called Knob Stopper that creates customized knob locks for your stove: https://www.theknobstopper.com/products/for-samsung-stoves. The owner was quite reponsive and quickly provided me with a product that was shipped the same day.

0.jpgfingerprint-resistant-black-stainless-steel-samsung-single-oven-electric-ranges-ne63t8751sg-64_1000.jpg 

0 Likes
System77
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Since it appears we cannot reply to the original topic anymore, I am starting another. Evidentally Samsung have been ignoring this issue for years now. The issue is that the knobs are extremely easy to bump and turn on when doing day to day tasks around the kitchen.  I have burned several items now since purchasing this range on Dec 23rd 2020. That is exactly 30 days ago. Why wouldn't Samsung simply come up with a washer or knob of some sort that solves the issue and send them out to us? This isn't some mundane issue, as noted in the previous thread, some people have nearly burned their homes down or have lost food, dishes and other items due to burners being bumped on accidently. I do appreciate that some customers have devised their own solutions and I may indeed go to Home Depot and buy the rubber grommets as suggested by one user, but the point remains that Samsung have dropped the ball on this issue and do not seem interested in recitifying THEIR mistake. This will be the last Samsung product I ever purchase. I have owned several Samsung cell phones and do currently own one, as well as a fridge and a dishwasher so they have seen my support over the years. This is the last straw. 

Why don't I return the range within the 30 days? Well that day is today. I have been all over this solution but due to Covid shutdowns last year at the plants,  there are shortages of products everywhere I have looked. When I bought this range at Lowe's it was one of the only ranges of any brand they had in stock anywhere in Canada. Other Samsung ranges, LG, KitchenAid etc are all back ordered until April/May. The same issue at Best Buy and other retailers I have contacted so unless I downgrade to a low end unit or drop another $1000 on a high end unit, I am either stuck with this thing or we cook in a toaster over for the next 2-4 months. 

St3v3C
Comet
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
don't you have to push the knob down first in order to turn it?
0 Likes
System77
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Yes but it turns on really easily. I just came here to post that I bumped it with the edge of my jacket unknowingly while putting away groceries a few minutes ago and it turned on and cooked a brand new plastic package of charcuterie meat to the stove top. I just spent 20 mins cleaning melted plastic off the glass and had to throw about $10 worth of meat away. If you go look in the original thread that got locked (same Title as this one) you will see 100's of similar stories. 

user9WDsEPPk3b
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have the same problem and had a fire because of it!!!  (we bumped it and then left for 2 hrs)  I do NOT recommend this stove!  The knobs turn on SO EASY that it can be just bumped and it will turn on.  Thankfully, our cabinets didn't catch but the smoke and soot went through the entire house resulting in us needing to have it deep cleaned to remove the smell and soot!  Other problems I have are hot spots on the 2 large burners and a hot spot in the oven so things do not cook evenly (which I can deal with as small annoyances compared to the fire hazard).  Crumbs get caught in the front edge of the stove as well as on the knobs making it harder to clean.  I love the steam clean feature but not enough to make me want to repurchase this stove if I was able to redo my original purchase.

Also - yes, I can take the knobs off but the stem is still exposed and bumping that also turns on your burner!!!

FIRE.jpg

0 Likes