I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob.
This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.
My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.
Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that money and all that care and here was this mess.
I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.
These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking.
I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.
Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Writing again.... did it again last night. Please help! Will knob protectors work - I need to secure the house before I leave each day and I'm concerned about fire. Would like to hear from Samsung directly as I fear a recall or lawsuit is in the future.
http://bit.ly/2ihPL97 is the link to send a private message with your model, serial number, your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and place of purchase.
Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
I would like to know if there are replacements parts that can be purchased that will make this oven safer? That would be an easy fix and we won't have have replace the entire unit.
Has anyone out there actually received help from the Samsung Appliance Tech that is scheduled to come to my house? I'm not hopeful in that I've not seen anyone on this site recorda solution for this fire hazard.
Had a Samsung appliance repair man come out. There is NOTHING that can be done for the ovens that are easily accidentally turned on. As long as the appliance is "functioning according to specs" there is no fix.
So disappointed BUT that being said..... the man who came out suggested I do something until Samsung designs a safer knob for their ovens (both gas and electric).
For NOW... and for peace of mind... this is what I did. I took a regular clothespin and broke it apart. It wedges perfectly behind the two outside knobs. It alerts me that there's an oven issue AND it prevents me from accidentally bumping up against the knobs and turning on a burner. Click on the little icon to the right of this post to see pic.
Won't buy a Samsung oven again however because this is a huge fire hazard.
I would like to start a recall. This is a huge hazard. My kids nearly burnt the house down by brushing up against it as they walked by. VERY dangerous! I will contact the paper if something isn't done about this.
Our gas stove has been turned on several times where just the gas came on but no flame. Our whole house was filled with natural gas before anyone realized what happened. We had to open windows for several hours to clear out the gas. I’m so thankful our house didn’t explode. Something has to be fixed on these ranges! I don’t plan on ever buying another Samsung appliance if they don’t do something to correct this dangerous situation.
We've had 3 instancesof the stovetop being accidently turned on. It is certainly dangerous! Just ordered the grommets for pick up at my local homedepot. Samsung's attitude towards this is unbelievibly unacceptable!