Original topic:

Easy Accidental Turn On

(Topic created on: 10/22/17 7:04 AM)
user1OUc2R1Yok
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob. 

This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.

My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.

Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that  money and all that care and here was this mess.

I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.

These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking. 

I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.

Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.

 

256 Replies
userfGzHfXIdHM
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I just cancalled my order for NE58F9500SS after reading all the reviews.

0 Likes
Reply
userDWck9Mp1LQ
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Look what just happened to me yesterday morning. Thank God we apparently have great smoke detectors and we were able to put it out. We have walked up and found the burner on numerous times and this isn't the only incident I had a friend that was over cooking and accidently turned it on and burned up a pot holder. Last night had the smoke detectors going off even a few minutes later I might not have a house today. I decided to look to see if this was a problem for others or if there was just something wrong with my particular stove only to find all this that you guys have posted.  What in the hell Samsung!!!! How did this slip by your QC and safety checks?????

 

 

userDWck9Mp1LQ
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This isn't all that's happened check news article out.....

 

https://youtu.be/0DswhWjZiRw

A Makiki man is lucky to be alive after a fire destroyed his home Friday morning.
SamsungGill
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

userDWck9Mp1LQ, sorry to see that! Please send us a private message here: http://bit.ly/2mcMgp1

0 Likes
Reply
userHpnateIZXk
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Just got home to a blazing hot front burner. This is not acceptable and dangerous beyond comprehension. 

I wonder what “regulation” Samsung is referring to as that will need to be changed after they fix this. 

 

DunhamFamily
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We came home Saturday after our youngest son's soccer game and some errands and had a blazing burner as well, and items that were near it had been melted. This was the FIFTH incident we have had with this unit in a year and a half! What if those items had caught fire, and burned down our home with our dog in it?!

SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

@user4SqWUo6L62: Were you provided with any transaction numbers by any chance?  If so, send them here: http://bit.ly/2ihPL97 


Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Reply
userKslJuRSDm0
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Yes, my grocery bags just caught fire.  I returned from food shopping and turned when I heard the sizzling plastic bags going up in flames.  Quickly cleaned up, but left this melted mess on my stove. Really annoyed at the manufacturer.  Shame on Samsung.

userKLF
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Nice bamboo cutting board  & stove cover

 

Xmas eve fire on the stove after accidental bump of knob

 

Damaged stove surface

 

 

0 Likes
Reply
userKLF
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
I tried to reply & post pics of my recent damage
0 Likes
Reply