I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob.
This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.
My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.
Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that money and all that care and here was this mess.
I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.
These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking.
I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.
Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.
Solved! Go to Solution.
We have had the same issue many times. As recent as tonight. My husband went into the kitchen area and smelled something burning. A plastic Tupperware lid that was set on the stove was burning and melting to the stove because the burner accidentally turned on when I stood near it and must have bumped it.. Samsung should be responsible for these defective stoves, before something very serious happens.
I'm going to try to attach the solution I got from someone on this site..... it has been an awesome fix! No more accidental turn on - and I feel much much safer!
Go to Home Depot and get these neoprene grommets immediately - remove your knobs on the oven and place grommets as indicated. The knobs will STILL function but will require effort to push in and turn - it's been a literal life saver.
Let me know if you have questions. Samsung should be delivering these to every household that has the poor design of an oven.
Go to your local Home Depot and get these neoprene grommets - remove the knobs on oven and place grommet on center mechanism - then replace knobs. You will have to use quite a bit of effort to push and turn the knobs on but it won't affect the way the stovetop works and it is FAR SAFER. I haven't accidentally turned on the stove now since I did this.
Had my sister mail the grommets to me in Canada as our Home Depots don't carry that size. Just got them and have installed. Here's to feeling safer! 6 accidental starts too many!!!
Same issue here. Does anyone know if a class action was ever initiated. Clearly there is a serious issue with several Samsung stove models (if not all) and surely serious damage has been done. At my house we have had some very close calls over the years. The most recent today where an appliance with a plastic base that was near the edge of the stove melted. Fortunately we smelled the burning plastic before a fire started. Had we left the house, the result may have been dramaticaly different.