cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Easy Accidental Turn On - Good Fix for NOW

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The knobs, and the lack of any child safety device that fits the design on this stove, are so dangerous. This is a huge liability and design flaw , and I’m shocked that Samsung has not offered any child safety decide or any device to fix the knobs to prevent accidents fires from someone leaning on a stove. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Easy Accidental Turn On - Good Fix for NOW

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have the same exact situation. In fact I just hung up from Samsung before I found this thread.
We moved into our home in March that had this stove in it. Since March the stove has accidentally been turned on mote than 6 times burning plastic containers, hand towels, pizza boxes etc..
The last straw was this week when it was accidentally turned on twice in two days and a pizza box actually caught fire!!!! If my husband had not walked back into the house our house would have
Burned down!!!!!!!!
Samsung told us there is no way for us to.tiggten the knobs and the were built to industry standards!!! They also admitted they have had several people call with same issue. I want this stove out of my house and I want to be part of class action suit.
I have pics of model and serial number of my stove
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Easy Accidental Turn On

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We have also had issues with the stove top being turned on accidentally by a hip while walking by or leaning into the stove. In times past, I have quickly noticed that it was turned on. BUT yesterday we came home to what could have been a deadly scenerio. Our stove had accidentally turned on with a drying towel on top and caught fire while we were out of the house. We have a dog that was home and live in a condo, so our neighbors could have easily been injured. This is a very serious problem that Samsung should be making top priority. A recall should be issued before someone is killed. The lock ONLY locks the stove and touch pad...it should also lock the burners! I have also tried to locate baby proofing knob covers (we have a 6 month old), but because of the design I am not able to find ones that work with this stove. Terrible design.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Go to your local Home Depot and get these neoprene grommets - remove the knobs on oven and place grommet on center mechanism - then replace knobs.  You will have to use a bit of effort to push and turn the knobs on but it won't affect the way the stovetop works and it is FAR SAFER.  I haven't accidentally turned on the stove since I did this. 

Samsung Rep said they will not do anything for this because the oven is "still operating according to specs".  A recall needs to happen in my opinion.  Here are the photos - it really does work!  You can also 'loc" the keypad so the oven doesn't get turned on accidentally - check your manual.

IMG_3533.JPGIMG_3579.JPGIMG_3581.JPG

Highlighted
Constellation

Easy Accidental Turn On

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased my Samsung Electric Stove about 4 years ago and have loved everything about this appliance other than this one issue. This is a problem we have constantly had. There are proabably hundreds of hip bumps that have happened over that time but only a small amount will actually turn the burner on and if you are unluckly, it will go on hi as well. I think this is why when Samsung looks into this, it appears like a less severe item than it really is.

Around the 6th time this happened to us, it actually started a small fire. Normally we are careful not to have anything on top of the stove for this reason but this time we forgot. Smoke alarm went off and there was a small fire with about a 6 inch flame. We got it out quickly with a wet kitchen towel which worked very well. No damage was done to the stove or house other than the smell of smoke for a couple days. If our fire detector was not working, this could have been a lot worse.

The recent fire motivated me to try to fix this. I had searched in the past but this forumn didn't exist. I first was looking for child proof knob covers and then found this forum. The Grommet solution is so easy and cheap ($4). Anybody can do this. Install took less than 2 minutes. All you do is remove the know, insert the rubber Grommet and then put the knob back on. I highly advise that everybody makes this adjustment asap. After the adjustment, the knob works like it should have from the beginning. You will have to press the knob in hard before twisting it to turn on the burner. I don't think any more hip bumps could possibly turn this on. In addition, I think it is child safe as well. I don't think any child under 5 would have the strength to turn this on. This is how this should have worked in the first place since it is so low and accessible by children.

All you have to do is go to the Home Depot Web Site. Search for 8748011998 and you will find the part. In addition, it will tell you if your local Home Depot has it in stock as well as the Isle and Bay it is located in. There were many drawers but there is one labeled Grommet. You can also order the part online and get free In Store pickup which may be easier for some people.

Thanks mpcolorodo finding this solution. I am sure it took a lot of time as well as trial and error before finding the perfect part.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I stumbled across this forum searching for a solution to this problem. We have had this accidental turn on happen several times. Luckily we always discovered it quickly. Samsung should address this. There is no doubt in my mind that lives will be lost someday due to this problem. Thank you mpcolorado for this helpful solution. I went Homedepot and purchased these grommets. I think this is a great solution for now. Thanks again mpcolorado and everyone else who posted in this forum. You all may have saved my life and home.

SAMSUNG, pay attention here. There is a problem!

Howard

Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, I would be happy to look into this for you. Please send us a private message to http://bit.ly/2CGMMUe with your phone number as well as the model number and the serial number of the unit.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was so excited to purchase my new gas range last month. We have gotten pretty good use out of it and it looks gorgeous in our newly renovated kitchen. However, last night I had the scare of my life when I saw my 6 year old daughter walk by the stove to get a snack and her arm brushed slightly against a knob, the power burner knob in the front, to be exact, and the burner TURNED ON and nearly caught her hair on fire! She jumped back and said “what was that, Mommy!” 

I thought maybe it was a fluke at first and after my nerves settled, I mimicked exactly what she did and the same thing happened to me. I then slightly bumped each knob with just a fingertip and discovered how easily these burners turn and turn on. With a few of the tries, the flame didn’t light, but gas was coming out. So I now not only have the fear of one of my kids catching themselves on fire, but also a knob being bumped and my house filling with gas and possibly exploding?! I cannot believe the amount of posts on this subject with no recall from Samsung. People are having to resort to after market safety knobs or pulling the knobs completely off when the stove is in use?! This is unacceptable. I am a loyal Samsung customer. All of our kitchen appliances and televisions in the home are Samsung. However, this safety hazard is well beyond what I’d expect from your brand and I demand something is done about it before someone is injured or killed. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I hope they reach out to you on this board. They did to me and someone is supposed to contact me this week. From all the posts here it doesn’t seem like they feel there is a problem. In the meantime you should check that grommet repair that mpcolorado posted. They’re about a buck apiece at Home Depot and does require more effort to turn the knob. After installing those I tried many ways to bump the knob and was not able to turn it on by bumping. Good luck.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey Wendy. Just to let you know Samsung did call me. It seems these knobs were designed to turn easily and that is that. They asked me if I had ant damages. My answer was no. I guess if there was monetary damages they would look into a claim. I told the person they wasted my time and unfortunately my house didn’t burn down. As you, I was a big fan of Samsung products, two televisions, refridgerator and oven. I was looking to get a microwave but there will never be another Samsung product in this house. These ovens will kill somebody eventually. Wendy, please look into tjose grommets as a temporary aid for you and your familys safety.