Original topic:

Easy Accidental Turn On

(Topic created on: 3/22/18 5:14 PM)
user1OUc2R1Yok
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob. 

This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.

My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.

Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that  money and all that care and here was this mess.

I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.

These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking. 

I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.

Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.

 

256 Replies
Wendyann04
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I was so excited to purchase my new gas range last month. We have gotten pretty good use out of it and it looks gorgeous in our newly renovated kitchen. However, last night I had the scare of my life when I saw my 6 year old daughter walk by the stove to get a snack and her arm brushed slightly against a knob, the power burner knob in the front, to be exact, and the burner TURNED ON and nearly caught her hair on fire! She jumped back and said “what was that, Mommy!” 

I thought maybe it was a fluke at first and after my nerves settled, I mimicked exactly what she did and the same thing happened to me. I then slightly bumped each knob with just a fingertip and discovered how easily these burners turn and turn on. With a few of the tries, the flame didn’t light, but gas was coming out. So I now not only have the fear of one of my kids catching themselves on fire, but also a knob being bumped and my house filling with gas and possibly exploding?! I cannot believe the amount of posts on this subject with no recall from Samsung. People are having to resort to after market safety knobs or pulling the knobs completely off when the stove is in use?! This is unacceptable. I am a loyal Samsung customer. All of our kitchen appliances and televisions in the home are Samsung. However, this safety hazard is well beyond what I’d expect from your brand and I demand something is done about it before someone is injured or killed. 

Howard S
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I hope they reach out to you on this board. They did to me and someone is supposed to contact me this week. From all the posts here it doesn’t seem like they feel there is a problem. In the meantime you should check that grommet repair that mpcolorado posted. They’re about a buck apiece at Home Depot and does require more effort to turn the knob. After installing those I tried many ways to bump the knob and was not able to turn it on by bumping. Good luck.

Howard S
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Hey Wendy. Just to let you know Samsung did call me. It seems these knobs were designed to turn easily and that is that. They asked me if I had ant damages. My answer was no. I guess if there was monetary damages they would look into a claim. I told the person they wasted my time and unfortunately my house didn’t burn down. As you, I was a big fan of Samsung products, two televisions, refridgerator and oven. I was looking to get a microwave but there will never be another Samsung product in this house. These ovens will kill somebody eventually. Wendy, please look into tjose grommets as a temporary aid for you and your familys safety. 

0 Likes
Reply
useraLamH1pLuG
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thanks for this post.  I thought I was the only person with this issue.  What a piece of garbage this range is.  We have taken off the knobs completely as we have a three year old and one year old who are very curious. I'm surprised at how the slightest touch can turn the range on.  And as someone else pointed out, the child lock is useless as it doesn't control the burner section.  The range also scratches way too easily, and this is coming from someone who tries to be extra careful.  I have completely lost faith in Samsung products after this experience.  

userSWmhBbnr4c
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This happened to us three times. Our child brushes up against the knob and doesn't realize it just turned on. Today there was a pen and paper on the burner which caught fire.  The knobs are a dangerous design and will kill someone if Samsung does nothing. 

SamsungMichelle
Supernova
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Hey, I would be happy to look into this for you. Please send us a private message to http://bit.ly/2CGMMUe with your phone number as well as the model number and the serial number of the unit.

0 Likes
Reply
Howard S
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

They respond to you but let me tell you what they will do. Nothing! If you’ve had damage they may look into a claim. They told me the knobs were designed to turn easy, that is that. Period. Please do yourself a favor, look into safety knobs, or there is also a grommet fix that seems to be working and only cost 4 bucks to do it. Your family’s safety depends on it. There are many complaints on this forum and they are not being addressed. I find it unbelievable SAMSUNG will not come up with a solution to this.

Howard / Former Samsung customer.

0 Likes
Reply
user72MMyND9vo
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Happy Easter! We almost burned our house down today because somebody bumped those knobs. Happens literally every holiday. I guess they think you can just not cook and remove the knobs for holiday parties. I thought we were the only ones! I've gently grazed them getting into the cabinets and turned them in myself. I've never seen such a thing. I'd hate to sue for damages over this

 

Howard S
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Welcome to the club. They will probably reach out to you like they are concerned and turn it over to a special team that will tell you the knobs are designed to turn easy. It’s a waste of your time unless you have damages. This company should be ashamed to operate like this. That being said, the safety of you or your family is #1. Check into safety profucts for the knobs or look at earlier posts in this forum that describe a fix with rubber grommets. I did this and it works, I really hate to recommend it, mostly because Samsung should step up and take care of this. The next choice and probably best is to get rid of the crappy oven, that’s what I’m trying to do. I’ve stated this before, I will never own another Samsung product. Good luck and please be safe.

Howard S.

0 Likes
Reply
userIyceAolucL
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I JUST found this thread! OMG! I was complaining back in 2015.

 

It would seem it's just a question of time before there's a Class Action Lawsuit. So many of us have come SO CLOSE to tragedy.

 

My situation: I have a galley kitchen I just remodeled and chose the Samsung Range. Smaller layout. I had washed my small dog in the kitchen sink. I accidenally left a soggy towel partially draped on the stovetop. I had bumped a knob with my hip and didn't know it.  I went to bed. The smoke detector went off. THANK GOD the towel was partially wet, because it was a very slow smouldering situation rather than full-on FLAMES. This faulty designed Samsung range threatened my home -- and life. I called Samsung. While I had a nice guy on the line, he had absolutely NOTHING to offer me. 

 

This dilemma is also keeping me from allowing friends/family to use my beach home without me being present.  I'm afraid they're going to burn the place down.