I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob.
This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.
My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.
Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that money and all that care and here was this mess.
I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.
These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking.
I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.
Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.
Solved! Go to Solution.
You are correct about SAMSUNGs uncaring attitude. I’m glad you have those grommets ordered. You’ll have to push the knob in a little bit harder to turn it but it’s well worth the effort and it will never turn on so easy. I can’t believe how lucky we were to discover the accidental turn ons we had before something terrible happened, and there were several times. We’ve had none since the grommets were put on. Good luck. Howard
We just had the same thing happen today. A package left on the counter caught fire after an apparent knob bump. Thank god my daughter got up to check the noises she was hearing, which turned out to be the plastic wrapped items (clothing) in the box melting and catching fire. She doused the flames and then broke down with emotion and was completely distressed when she called me. You’re right; just cleaning or reaching accidentally turns it on high. I shudder to think what could have occurred had she not been vigilant.
Glad to hear there was no injury or death or burned down house. There has been so many close calls posted here. I know it’s going to be just a matter of time until we read about a catastrophe. I hope you will look into those grommets we've been discussing. They will eliminate the very easy turn on. This company SAMSUNG has no interest in this problem. In fact, they told me the knobs were designed to turn that easy. Please check out those grommets, very easy cheap fix, or look into a different oven manufacturer. Good luck, and thanks for posting what happened to you.
I have the same problem that samsung is choosing to ignore. I have bumped the knobs several times in the two plus years I've had a samsung range and noticed that a burner has been accidentally turned on. Tonight however it happened while a dish towel was on the burner and after it had been bumped on everyone had left the kitchen. At least I now know for sure that my smoke detectors work! My range is over two years old and Samsung is still manufacturing and selling ranges with the same design flaw. Someday someone will bump their range just before leaving their house or going upstairs to bed in a house where maybe the smoke detector doesn't work, and there will be a real tragedy and legal consequences. Hopefully it only costs Samsung a lot of money and not someone their life.