I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob.
This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.
My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.
Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that money and all that care and here was this mess.
I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.
These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking.
I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.
Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.
Solved! Go to Solution.
This just happened today with this fire hazard. Our stove is ruined! I want a replaced purse and a new stove. Please contact me asap!
Here are pictures of the stove and the coach purse.
The lock only locks the control panel and the range door (not the knobs)
I would also like to find a solution to this problem and would be happy to join a class action. This is a problem we've had with our gas range and it is a real concern, especially with numerous grandchildren. Happy to send private email with model and serial numbers.
Our brand new stove ruined, we had potholders sitting on top of the range to make sure the pizza stone did not scratch it. If you even slightly bump these knobs they turn on. I burned my arm last week leaning over the stove cleaning it, without knowing it had turned on. Extremely dangerous I would never have purchased the stove if I had known how easily these knobs are turned on. I am frightened when I leave the house and I forget to check the stove even when it hasn't even been used which is absolutely ridiculous !! I have to always do a detailed check at the stove to make sure it is not on so I don't come home to a burned down house
@useruKIqxZjjVtL: Could you send us a private message so that we can get some additional information?
Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Hello, I have privately emailed Samsung regarding this issue but I also wanted to submit a public posting if this does become a class action lawsuit. Unfortunately, a recall probably won't happen unless the cost of lawsuits are expected to exceed the costs of replacing or refitting all of the affected appliances.
I personally have had 3 occurrences in my home of stove top accidentally being turned on and 2 fires extinguished on stovetop. Although we have 2 children it was not due to them. One time was my wife, second was my sister in law who was heating up something in the microwave directly above stove and brushed up and the 3rd time was when we were having our cabinets refaced the workers covered stove with a moving blanket to protect it from the spraying and the blanket was set on fire.
What should we do if we are among the many who are experiencing accidentally turn-on of the cooktop? Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of the burned hot pad before throwing it away a few months ago. I can take pictures of the bottom of my crock pot that was burned just a few weeks after purchase, about 13 months ago. Fortunately, the other 5 times the stove eyes have come on when the knobs were accidentally brushed up against, either my husband or I have realized it before anything caught fire.
Thanks in advance for your help with this.
I have the same issue. Just moved into my house a few months ago, and have had three accidental turn ons. The only thing to do is to leave NOTHING on the stove when it isn’t in use.
Please check the grommet solution described early in this thread. It’s worth the 4 bucks. I’m sorry Samsung is a terrible company. There is no excuse for this.