I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob.
This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.
My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.
Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that money and all that care and here was this mess.
I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.
These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking.
I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.
Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Samsung has no interest in this problem. I came across this forum in March/2018. I had several close calls with these burners being bumped and turned on. Luckily for me nothing has caught on fire and we haven’t lost anything of value. We had a glass platter and a trivet get burnt. We had a dish towel get scorched too. Samsung got in touch with me. Their story is the knobs are designed to turn easy and that is that.
Near the beginning of this thread you will see where a couple posters posted a sort of home made fix with rubber grommets you can buy at Home Depot. I hate recommending this but it works. I have not had one accidental turn on. Please do yourself a favor if you are keeping this stove and put these grommets on behind the knobs. It will be a big load off your mind. It makes it harder to turn the knobs. It’s no inconvenience to me and it’s much safer.
This cost me about 4 bucks to do. It’s a shame this company won’t stand up and do the right thing. It’s a shame this company wouldn’t offer 4 bucks to help keep my house from burning down. Be safe and Happy New Years!
These have saved our house from burning down!
I will add this - over time you will need to replace the grommets as they will wear down from use so be sure to keep a couple extra handy in a kitchen drawer by the stove.
Samsung will not do anything about this as their representative says " the oven is performing to specifications." Very disappointing but I promise you will feel much safer using the grommet solution!
What kind of grommets? Searching for a solution. Our DOG accidentally turned the stove on and my husbands keys and a bag caught on fire!! Thank god he came back in the house in time! Crazy Samsung makes such a dangerous product! @HowardS
The solution is for you to take responsibility for your poor quality and design by repairing these defective controllers that cost you less than $ 5 Your cost.
I totally agree with you! I actually had a paper bag catch on fire because the burner turned on sooooo easily!!! The burner turning on accidentally had happened to me before, so, I knew about it and the rule was, don't put anything on top of the stove. Well, I came home with groceries and was putting them away, in a but of a hurry, as a lot of us get....well I emptied the paper bag and set it on top of the stove and I turned to the sink( for some reason) and when I turned back, the bag was on fire! I grabbed the first thing I thought of, which was my kitchen sink faucet hose sprayer and luckily it was close enough and I just started spraying it with water until I could grab the bag and throw it in the sink! It totally freaked me out, and what a mess!!!
I was planning on calling Appliance Discounters, where we purchased the stove, a little over 1 yr. ago, but Googled it and found this website. I now will try the " fix" that someone posted.
We have the same problem. We contacted Samsung and they suggested turning on the child lock feature. Even with it activated the stove top can still be turned on. It only locks the oven and oven touch screen controls. They are sending a technician out to see about replacing the knobs and knob stems to see if that helps. We shall see....