Original topic:

Easy Accidental Turn On

(Topic created on: 1/2/17 3:26 PM)
user1OUc2R1Yok
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob. 

This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.

My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.

Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that  money and all that care and here was this mess.

I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.

These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking. 

I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.

Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.

 

JUMP TO SOLUTION
256 Replies
user1innOQfgbr
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We "DESIGNED it that way to start fires more easily."

 

Right.

0 Likes
Reply
userzsEgXipOK5
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I was checking to see if a recall has been made. I have had 3 situation with my glass top burners turning and causing burning of 2 air fryers and expolsion of a glass jar. So fed up. I am glad there is a fix i can do on my own. But samsung should be accountable for the bad design.  Grrr.  They sure didnt mind receiving payment for it. 

0 Likes
Reply
userq53U5AWagw
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This didnt work for me... it actually made the knob stick out a little further and made the situation worse.  I can press and turn the knob on with one finger.  Very disappointed in Sumsung to say the least.  I thought it was just me and started serching on line for some type of child proff knobs etc and ran across 100's of Utube vidoes and other sites where people were having the same issue.  

0 Likes
Reply
user7HuEmFll1B
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Me as well <hidden>

0 Likes
Reply
userrGnGgUbe26
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I would certainly be interested in helping, it caught my Tea kettle on fire and melted it to my cooktop.

userrGnGgUbe26
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Samsung is going to be sending a technician but I do not believe that they will do anything after reading others posts. I am

going to contact the AZ Attorney Generals Office and the BBB. I am going to contact our local Sears store where I bought all of our Samsung appliances and let them know that they are selling a dangerous appliance. I am going to post a warning I’m our towns FB page to warn anyone against buying Samsung products. I will make up signs for all of our vehicles-including our motor home- warning people about Samsung appliances. I would definitely join any class action lawsuit. We woke up one evening to a fire alarm and found that our tea kettle was in flames and melting. We have a sprinkler system in our home that would have ruined thousands of dollars of brand new furniture if we had not been home. I can’t even imagine what could have happened it the fire had started with us not home and if our dog was home alone. This issue is inexcusable and Samsung needs to face up to it before someone dies.  if anyone has news please contact us.

user1innOQfgbr
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Good for you! 

(btw, you sound like the person to LAUNCH a class action, not just JOIN one! Go get 'em, tiger!) 

userSKqVS33xWi
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This needs to be a class action lawsuit. Extremely dangerous product. This could have been a loss of life and home. I do have pictures of burned microwave, cabinets, and lighting. I came back into my home with smoke banked down to the floor. This stove ruined my newly remodeled kitchen. Please come forward if this has happened to you. 

SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Please send us a private message so that we can further assist you.  http://bit.ly/2ihPL97


Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Reply
userut5aBfdFKK
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Why a private message Samsung moderator????  

0 Likes
Reply