I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob.
This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.
My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.
Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that money and all that care and here was this mess.
I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.
These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking.
I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.
Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Give that rubber grommet fix that is described earlier in this thread a try. It’s only about 4 bucks at homedepot and helps. For some reason Samsung would rather roll the dice and take a chance. There will be a fire and loss of life someday. People find this thread just like I did, searching for a solution to a very unsafe product. I mention in every post that I will never own another SAMSUNG product again. Good luck and stay safe.
Thanks, Howard! When it says 9/32" is that the circumference or is that the hole size -- or IS there a hole size? It would be nice to order over Amazon instead of the scary canyons of Homing Despot. I took a snapshot of that packet, though. Wish the SKU/Item # was a bit more clear?
Such a demanding gal, I am! MANY THANKS!
Hi, the 9/32 is the size of inside diameter of the hole in the grommet. I looked on homedepot website and it appears they don’t carry the brand pictured earlier in this thread anymore. Here is a link to the grommet they now carry at Homedepot. If you get on the HD site and choose your store and type 811998 in the search box the product will show and it will give you the aisle and bay location of this part at the store. They were in the hardware section at my store. They’re 97 cents a piece.
here’s a link to Fastenal for a similar part if home depot doesn’t work for you, this may.
Good luck, drop a line and let me know if you get them.
Bought the grommets and they are a wonder. Thanks so much to whomever figured out this insanely inexpensive fix.
We bought ours for our new kitchen two years ago. The knobs have been a constant fear for me since. We rent out our condo for several months a year and I was very concerned about potential fire and safety.
I just took a pic of the packet to Home Depot and they found them right away. $4 is a super cheap fix. Samsung should be ashamed of itself.
I’m glad you got them. That should help immensely. You are correct, SAMSUNG should be ashamed. I mention in almost every post I make that they lost a customer, there will never be another SAMSUNG product in my home. Such a simple problem to take care of and they would rather wait for loss of life I presume.
Just adding to the list... we moved into a house with the Samsung glass top stove. While we were moving in, someone put a plastic container on the stove, not thinking anything of it. Well, someone bumped into the knob, and the plastic container and everything in it melted all over. This was the first day in our new house. We are very unnerved now about how easy it is to turn this stove on.
Side note, the fire alarm in the kitchen did not work. We were thankful that we were home while this happened and moving around to know it was happening, and were able to replace the fire alarm. At least something good came out of it.
Sorry to hear your first day in your home was almost a disaster. I hate to keep recommending those grommets but they do work and will definitely give you some peace of mind. This crappy company SAMSUNG should step up already, it shouldn’t be up to their customers to come up with temporary fixes for their products while they say or do nothing. It’s making sick knowing there will be a catastrophe at some point. Good luck to you, and please check into the grommets that some of us have used. They do make it hard to turn so there will be no accidental turning on.
SAMSUNG, step up.
Same experience as everyone else and thankfully house did not burn down. Frightening experience and I think Samsung should not be allowed to sell stove with this potential for catastrophe. There should be at a minimum a warning posted on the range so that some unfortunate person doesn't die as a result of this .
hello i bought the samsung glass top stove and have been burned twice by how easily the knobs turn on. all i did was brush up against it. i have two small babies that are learning how to walk and i need to know if there is any child proof cover that i can buy for the knobs? the universal ones they sell at the store do not fit on this samsung knob. i need this resolved asap. i bought this stove because the "smart" person selling it made it a point to say that " the cool thing about this glass top is that it heats up the stoves, but wont heat up the glass so you dont get burned" WHAT A LIE !! i have two burn scars because of this stove, and i live in fear thinking my twin babies will get burned as easy as i did.