Original topic:

Easy Accidental Turn On

(Topic created on: 1/2/17 3:26 PM)
user1OUc2R1Yok
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased this range in November. I read a report or two about how easily it turns on. The huge knobs are great. But, let me set the stage for how I know a bad design job from a great one. My father was part of a 2 man team who, in the 1950's, designed the 'Spin Free' knob at Patten Button Co in Knoxville, TN. They manufactured all sorts of plastic products and, yes, buttons, too. Their knob was the brain child of a co-worker who was playing with poker chips and put one atop the other and tried to rotate the top one. The little groves kept him from doing it. He took the idea to my Dad who designed the machine to make injection molds for their Spin Free knob. 

This simple knob kept kids from turning on a stove. They could spin the knob and nothing happened until Mom pushed in with a little force and turned it to the desired setting.

My new Samsung is a flat glass surface. It's easily scratched so I purchased a black 'drying mat' just in case casseroles were placed on it in preperation of using the oven. I wanted to keep the surface new looking for as I could.

Imagine my surprise when last week my teen granddaughter yelled something was on fire.
She had put together some Christmas treats. None required the use of the surface range. But, sure enough, the left rear burner was bright red. The black pad had melted and stuck to the stove. I was sick. All that  money and all that care and here was this mess.

I tried to recreate what happened and how it happened and it was very simple. I bumped the knobs on the left with my mid section and slid my body ever so slightly to the right. Sure as the sun rises tomorrow, that left back burner became flaming red. It was on 'high'.

These are the poorest designed knobs I have ever seen. The concept is good but the force needed to activate them is woefully lacking. 

I was able to let the remnants of the black drying mat cool and used a single edge razor blade to gently lift off the black gunk stuck to it.

Shame on Samsung for not checking the this out since there have been prior valid complaints.

JUMP TO SOLUTION
256 Replies
msorrentino
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
0 Likes
usermN6OE08WSz
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thanks.  Samsung actually dispatched someone out who came to the house to replace all my knobs.  As it stands right now, my understanding is that they will not replace the damaged stove top, which I am currently disputing  and the reply I got was that everything is still under investigation and review        

0 Likes
userkmGgFC0Bnb
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The same thing happened to us only 1 week after we got out stove when we were installing our microwave above it. We were being extra cautious and put a towel over the glass top so in case we dropped it to hopefully prevent damage AND turned on the lock feature (because that’s what a lock feature is for right?   To lock things?). Well we hog the knob thinking it was locked and caught the blanket on fire and scortched it our brand new 1 week old top. We got it off big because it was so much it chipped a couple of pieces of glass of (still usable but very upsetting). I read the instruction Manuel and couldn’t find anything that said that the knobs didn’t lock so I contacted Samsung and their only response was “the lock on locks the oven not the stove knob features”. Well what the good is that going to do?  What if my kids accidentally push those knobs and then burn themself or a towel or close by and lights on fire and burns my house down?  So frustrated with samsung and their unresponsiveness to this very real and very dangerous and possibly dealt by matter. I would not recommend anyone buy this stove due to this lack of safety feature. Why put a lock feature on something that doesn’t lock the one this that needs locking?

userhiJdNZQijT
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I just wrote to Consumer Reports asking HOW they could have missed this safety issue about the accidental turning on of the gas range knobs on the Samsung range in Consumer Reports' ratings ???  Maybe if they receive many such response, Samsung will listen and issue a recall.

0 Likes
usery7W4dmKtad
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have also had this problem. My elderly Mother has almost burned the house several times. Knobs are incidently turned on when accessing microwave above oven.  Lots of smoke damage. I will be in on the class action when they figure out people have died from this.

Contacted Samsung...

The customer service is terrible. Basicly told me who I could call to pay someone to fix their defective controllers. NEVER BUY SAMSUNG AGAIN

aliceaig
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This has happened to me recently as well! Samsung sent a technician over who didn't do anything other than taking pictures and report what happened. I haven't heard from them since then.

To address the problem myself I've looked for many options described here but I found a more "subtle" locker for the knobs here: https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/712883746/knob-locker-for-samsung-electric-range

I bought a set and it works pretty well!

I am sure I will never hear from Samsung again unless I contact them again, but there is nothing much they can do with a design flaw other than re-engineering it...

Alice

0 Likes
blackbear20
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I've had the same experience...just today my husband and I were both in the kitchen and I looked over and the burner was red hot (on high!!!). This is rididculous and I'd like to know if anyone has found a solution or has Samsung taken any responsibility for this? Any replies from the company?Maybe they are waiting for a few law suits first. Totally unacceptable!

0 Likes
userjuLUtjms47
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I bought the  nx58m6630 gas range about 10 days ago and had Samsung out for warrenty repair.  Basically said they could do nothing.  So here is my $2 fix from ace that is working pretty well.  I added a spring to the back of the knobs.

knob.jpgspring.jpg

userdCo1pHMwgE
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I am hoping this can be a fix for us as well.  Can you tell me how this has been working for you?  I am so disgusted with this Stove and this issue.

Thanks for your response.

0 Likes
userjuLUtjms47
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Yes this has been working for us.  We havn't had anymore accidents.  Not perfect but MUCH better.

I did add a plastic washer to protect the valve by putting that in 1st then spring and then knob.  I also got it from Ace h/wIMG_20190826_204657.jpgIMG_20190826_204735.jpg