cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wwdiner
Constellation

Evaporator Fan freezing RF263BEAESR French door refrigerator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased this fridge in Sep 2014. Since it went out of warranty (naturally) it has had a constant issue of having ice build up on the back wall behind the evaporator fan in the fresh food compartment to where the fan begins to strike the ice. It gets pretty noisy. The first time this happened I had a repairman tell me that it was a defrost drain issue. He fiddled with the drain tubes behind the fridge and had us defrost the fridge for two days. Since then I have had to remove the evaporator covers and defrost the ice about once each month. I have attached two photos of the ice prior to me taking a blow dryer to it. It appears the ice is forming on the back wall rather than the evaporator tubing inside the compartment. The ice then builds up to encase the pipes and then eventually interfere with the evaporator fan. The evaporator coils are always free of frost, which to me indicates the coil defroster is working properly.

I have read several accounts online of other unfortunate Samsung fridge owners experiencing similar issues, but none have indicated a solution other than the one I have undertaken with a hair drier. Is it possible to affect a permanent repair for this problem? Is there a solution at all? I am getting weary of taking the thing apart and defrosting the ice each month and I don't trust repair people to do much but take my $100 and not do anything.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userWhzBTnL96U
Constellation

Re: Evaporator Fan freezing RF263BEAESR French door refrigerator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Fix:  Raise the front.  It is not supposed to have the front wheels on the ground.  This happens because it is not properly leveled, so condensation collects where it shouldn't.  If you tilt it back a bit you should never have to defrost it again. 

234 REPLIES 234
samsug_rf31f
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

i have the exact same issue with 2014 model RF31FMESBSR. Did you find the solution to it? Is it moisture leakage to the compartment? I ran a copper line from the bottom heater to the evaporator pipe and doing forced defrost since 3/13/2017.  wait to see if the problem is alleviated.

samsug_rf31f
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

the copper wire did not resolve the problem. Since then I have took apart to defrost twice, and every other day doing a forced defrost. BAD quality product!

userWhzBTnL96U
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Fix:  Raise the front.  It is not supposed to have the front wheels on the ground.  This happens because it is not properly leveled, so condensation collects where it shouldn't.  If you tilt it back a bit you should never have to defrost it again. 

wwdiner
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userWhzBTnL96U wrote:

Yes! I re-leveled my fridge as you stated about 6 months ago and I have not had a frosting issue since. I wanted to wait longer before I wrote about this fix just to make sure it worked, but then I saw your post. Apparently it forces the doors to close tighter to prevent humid air from entering, and the slight rearward tilt causes defrost liquid to drain properly. Good solution so far.

userWhzBTnL96U
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have had mine 3 years and the fan just started making noise.  I found the inproper-level solution in a google search, and through I would post it here for otheres (no personal expariance of the fix working, so thanks for giving us your 6-month news).  I have now tilted it back by putting 1/4 plank under the wheels (will level properly after installing a new kitchen floor soon).  I still need to defrost it, because it is still making the nosie.  Any tips?

userucrxkVnAvc
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I am going to try to lift the front of my fridge tonight.. Praying this works... Thank you for the advise. This has to be one of the most expensive, fustrating appliances I have ever bought.. Have considered just buying a new fridge, but I just can't justify spending $1800 on a fridge 3 1/2 years ago and now having to purchase a new one again. Gosh, I think my parents still have their old fridge from 1980 and it still works perfectly fine... 

userqg7s4qSwVB
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My parents still have their Westinghouse from 1957, it is still chugging away just fine.  Samsung Sucks!!  This was expensive pos to last only two years before problems.  I will never buy samsung again.  I bet they don't even read these posts.  HELLO, YOUR PRODUCTS SUCK!!!!!!!!

userlz8TJMvdcS
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Having the same freezing problem with our 3500 dollar samsung. Have empied and defrosted it a half dozen times now, freezes up and grinds the fan (or whatever) within a week. Have tried setting it level, raised in the front in several different heights and no change. Finally had a repair man out that samsung sent because we are still under warranty....he still wanted 150 from my wife just to show up, NOT COOL!! That was not mentioned by samsung, we didn't ask for a repairman. He said evap cover and defrost sensor to the tune of 500 bucks and who knows how long that will last. Completely frustrated and irritated to have a 3500 dollar piece of junk grinding away in our kitchen in less than 3 years. We happen to be good friends with a local appliance repairman and he won't even touch it, says whirlpool is the only brand worth buying anymore.

usereiy5aPHvDN
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I bought a new Fridgedaire and have it I’m my garage. I don’t know what to do with this one. I leave it on FD factory default and the knocking that sounds like a golf ball being thrown into the side and the zzzzmmmm from the fan I honestly feel sick Since when do you sell a product for top dollar $2599 and get not even 2 years before the problems start. Each issue is a different system You would think they would want happy customer No

thus is the message IF something is good say so Don’t only report the negative