cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userpAimR4WkGe
Cosmic Ray

RF25HMEDBSR Freezer stopped working and is not cooling

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My RF25HMEDBSR freezer stop working and is not cooling.  The refrigerator display panel reads 0 F degrees in the freezer compartment but the actual temperature is above 40 F degrees.  The diagnostic and test mode shows no codes!

I can no longer use the freezer but the refrigerator compartment appears to be working.

I did looked to see if the freezer evaporator was frozen or if the freezer bottom had any ice. None was present.

This refrigerator was purchased at Sears and placed into service on December 8, 2015.  The one year warranty is over but it still within the "5 year parts and labor on the sealed Refrigeration system only warranty."  Apparently, it appears it may be the sealed refrigeration system as some have reported.

Can anyone confirm that this is a sealed refrigeration system problem before my 5 year warranty runs out?  Does anyone have a confirmed fix to this problem?

Help Samsung! 

It's unimaginable that this refrigerator should fail so relatively quickly when my old low techology refrigerator had over 15 years of service.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: RF25HMEDBSR Freezer stopped working and is not cooling

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Give this link a try.

userpAimR4WkGe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.  I've already checked the items suggested in the link including the evaporator fan motor and assembly in the freezer, the status LED (normal solid red) in the rear panel and have power cycled waiting the suggested 7 minutes to prevent overload before  turning the unit on.  Apparently, the symptoms point to a lost over time of refrigerant in the system. 

However, it just my best guess based on the symptoms and other similar posts.  A forced freezer defrost (Fd) via the display panel also failed to resolve the issue as suggested in several posts.

What next?  I still cannot used the freezer on this $2K refrigerator. Kindly help!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Honestly repairs would be the next step, mind shooting us a message here with the serial number of the fridge: http://bit.ly/2igAXKH

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userpAimR4WkGe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For those of you following up with this issue the Samsung authorized service person did diagnose a refrigerant leak in the seal refrigeration system as suspected.  

The refrigerant leak was the issue causing the freezer not to maintain a temperature below freezing. 

Adding refrigerant is the easy part but finding the leak is more difficult. 

To my knowledge to find the leak your need to evacuate (empty) the refrigeration system from the refrigerant, add nitrogen with ultraviolet dye under pressure and then find the source of the leak.   Once the leak is detected and repaired (this requires that not only the source of the leak be repalred but that a new filter/dryer is installed) then the refrigeration system is place under vacuum to remove any introduced or residual moisture in the system.  A vacuum test is then performed to confirm that the leak has been truly repaired.  After it has been confirm that the vacuum test has not lost any negative pressure the system is then properly charged with refrigerant.  

As you can read this requires a knowledgeable and proficient A/C service technician to perform the repair properly and prevent any refrigerant from again leaking into the atmosphere.

The Samsung service person that diagnosed the refrigerant leak was not authorized to performed this repair.  However, the Samsung service person was polite, knowledgeable and determine the issue quickly.

I am now waiting for Samsung to contact me with the next step to get the freezer working. 

In the meantime I'm still without a freezer!

userpAimR4WkGe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Here is the lastest update.  The leak in the refrigeration system was diagnosed but not repaired on Wednesday, August 7.  Since then my service ticket has been reassigned so far to two vendors as of today, Friday, August 9.  However, still no appointment for a service technician to repair the refrigerator.   The earliest I can call for an appointment if my case is accepted by the new vendor is Monday, August 12.  This is surely frustrating since I still can not use the freezer.

God, help us all!

userpAimR4WkGe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

August 12, update.  Still not able to use freezer since three (3) independent vendors have refused to repair the refrigerant leak on this Samsung refrigerator. 

The latest Samsung representative, Michelle, informed me that my case was going to be escalated to another department that may be able to review my case and resolve my warranty repair claim (repair ticket). 

Apparently, I must wait another 24 to 48 hours to have another Samsung representative call me.

I am hopefully optimistic that finally my issue with this refrigerator will be resolved.

userpAimR4WkGe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

August 14, 2019 update.  After Samsung promised to give me a return call to finally resolve my warranty claim within 24 to 48 hours, no call was received.  So another call to Samsung was placed.  After talking to the customer service agent I was told that a replacement unit would be arranged after they submit a request that would take another seven (7) days to process.

At that point I reminded the agent that we are now working into three weeks without the use of the freezer.  I asked the agent to transfer my call to a manager.

I talked to a manager, Jeremy, and explained to him that I’ve been working with Samsung and several of their authorized repair services to get my refrigerator repair with no success.  I explained that I needed his help to get my refrigerator replaced as soon as possible and that waiting another seven (7) days to process the request to replace my refrigerator was not acceptable.

This would mean that after processing the request it would take several other days to get a replacement refrigerator finally to my home.

I also explained that the Sears Appliance Center where the refrigerator was purchased is now out of business.  Therefore, he should consider replacing the refrigerator through one of their vendors like, Lowes, Home Depot, Costco or Best Buy instead of arranging a trucking company to ship a replacement refrigerator to my home taking days to setup.

Jeremy promised but could not guarantee that he would do all he could to get the request expedited.  I reminded him that this was indeed what I was told on August 12, 2019 and no one from Samsung contacted me after being told that my case was being escalated to another department for resolution.

And so the sad sage of my warranty claim (repair ticket) continues and I still cannot use my freezer and my refrigerator compartment is now showing signs that it also is being impacted by the loss of refrigerant.

userpAimR4WkGe
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

August 22, 2019 update.  Still unable to use freezer.  Samsung keeps promising a call back within 24 to 48 hours but no call as of yet.  I am now working into 4 weeks without the use of the freezer.  Calls to Samsung while polite has yet to resolve my issue.  In the meantime I contine to call Samsung for a status on my repair ticket.  

Highlighted
Samsung_rOpdGnW
Constellation

Freezer not cooling on RF28R7201SR

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Bought my first Sumsung fridge today after waking up to everything in my LG being thawed this morning. The fridge portion of the unit is operating as expected, however the freezer and flex zone areas are not. The temp is set at -2 for the freezer, but the temp is reading 76. I have referred to the troubleshooting section of the manual without success. Anyone have any ideas?