Original topic:

Family hub 6.0 software update

(Topic created: 06-18-2021 05:11 AM)
usereF0rEfLz7I
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Hi.
I am also very concerned about the new update to 6.0. I don't feel comfortable updating yet because it says I will lose a lot of the key features I use on the Family hub app. Moving everything to smartthings would be fine if all the current features from family hub app were brought over to the smartthings app. How can we possibly want to switch over if we are losing so many key features like memo, whiteboard, profiles for family members, shopping lists, photos and videos, .... and so on.
Please give everyone a little guidance on this issue because there is hardly any info out there on this topic. If this doesn't get resolved many new and existing family hub members are going to be so upset. Please advise on what is happening in the future of this update. As of now I am holding off on updating my fridge to 6.0.

Thank you so much
63 Replies
usereF0rEfLz7I
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
So they are saying if I upgrade to 6.0 on fridge that memo whiteboard and so on are still able to be used on fridge and sent from phone to the fridge? Can you also go to your family board from phone and add things to fridge from it?
0 Likes
usereF0rEfLz7I
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
So they are saying if I upgrade to 6.0 on fridge that memo whiteboard and so on are still able to be used on fridge and sent from phone to the fridge? Can you also go to your family board from phone and add things to fridge from it?
0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Good afternoon, I can certainly understand the concern for new changes. The release notes for the Family Hub Software 6.0 update shows improvements on performance and capability. Some changes you will notice are detailed below for you:
-Support for the Family Hub mobile app is being dropped, The SmartThings Mobile app will be the replacement, some feature restrictions will apply to memo/whiteboard/to-do/calendar functions.
-Home screen layouts will be changed, previous Family Board contents will be saved in the backup ablum of your gallery app
-Memo/Gallery widget is deleted, and memo/photo add function is provided with the menu button on the home screen.
-Animation, illustration, and family board themes have been deleted; default themes will reset to the Weather theme
-The clock style of the previously set cover screen is changed to the default clock style of each theme
-Voice ID function has been removed; Some speeches related to the Family Hub profile are no longer supported
-The notification status bar at the top has been removed
We appreciate any all feedback and would be happy to tag it on the forum so that it will appear with other feedback, ideas, and requests. This will allow your post to be more easily found in the event that Samsung product groups are seeking outside feedback/requests/ideas regarding our products.

0 Likes
Samsung_SlMPzFN
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Outlook sync on my Tizen 4.0 fridge stopped working this morning.  Samsung support informed me that outlook sync in the calendar will be dropped in 6.0 and has stopped on 4.0 as it is "getting ready" for the 6.0 upgrade.  This is extremely disappointing and I wonder what else will be "de-hanced" with the upgrade to 6.0.

0 Likes
userEE4PME7xmL
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I feel very frustrated reading this thread and the substandard response from Samsung after spending AUD $5500 on this fridge. I was expecting a software update to enhance the product but this now seems to be frustrated by software engineers and their hierarchy who do not understand how their customers actually use their fridges.

The customers who purchase these so called smart fridges and outlay many thousands of dollars for the privilege do so with an expectation of a premium experience which is something I certainly am not receiving.

I would like an answer to why functions are being deleted and help desk staff are unable to support the appliance. When I contacted the Australian help desk I was instructed to reboot the machine at the GPO and when this didnt work, they told me to reboot the tablet. I am not sure what or how they thought this would fix the issue I am having with this ROM. Honestly I expect this kind of frustration when dealing with Chinese companies not a Korean Company.

userLibBzIofTC
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

If you lose features then it's not an improvement on capabilities from the user perspective. 

uservttVn5d3Mm
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have updated to 6.0 and still am able to make a list but can't see it on my smartphone, what good is a list on my family hub if I can't access it while shopping? Can I remove the update?

userkD9J4y7Iy6
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

These are NOT solutions; Just a list of changes.

Instead of giving this kitchen appliance more functionality, or providing for a more intuitive interface, Samsung has taken away features (a home screen that easily displays snapshots and fun widgets) and placed barely functional routines as default. (The default calendar requires integrating every household member's calendar from their mobile. There's enough real estate above the ice dispenser (thankfully) to suspend a paper calendar that anyone can interact with.) I don't stand at the screen/keyboard height AND hunting for keys is too much trouble. The calendar should NOT have been made a default app over a screen that allowed for an interactive picture board.

Many aspects of the only internet browser allowed on the appliance have been taken away or given less functionality. Favorites saved to the home screen now have a generic box showing an unfriendly description of the link instead of a favicon from the site. The favorite can not be edited.

I happen to use a media server in my house called PLEX. Through that web interface, I WAS able to listen to my music library from my kitchen. The browser wasn't powerful enough to stream video, but I thought maybe an update might enable it one day. Now, I can't even listen to music unless it comes through one of the two streaming apps that choose to support TIZEN OS. 

Speaking of apps I don't see ANY new apps joining the list. I DO see apps leaving TIZEN!

Unfortunately for me and thousands of other Samsung Refrigerator customers, I don't see a bright future. In fact the future looks cloudy and dim. 

userkD9J4y7Iy6
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Since this announcement was made more than a month ago, and nothing has changed I can only assume Samsung is in the process of abandoning this platform. Apps that can be used are shrinking in number, not growing. Functionality is reduced. Answers or solutions from "Support" are simply statements that parrot OS changes.

usertjV0fD9ZHT
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Samsung,

The new Family Hub update done on the $3,000 refrigerator is terrible. I expected so much more from Samsung. I can't use the shopping list anymore because it won't let me keep a list I've had for years. Now, you have to link your account to your shopping list to be able to use it. The white board is no longer visible until you click on it. What's the point of making these updates if people can't use the functions they originally had? I get the streamline of the apps and the update to the wallpapers, but the overall functionality that I purchased the Samsung over an LG is now gone. I was able to turn off the annoying ding when a forced recipe popped up on the home screen. There's no way to opt out of those either, only to exit out. I don't need suggestions for food. If I want that, make it option for me to look through like it was in the past. I don't understand the need to redesign the entire experience for everyone when the original functions and options worked great. Now, the Family Hub apps crashes all the time on my Samsung phone. Seems like there's some changes that need to be made to this newest update. I'm not seeing a lot of positive reviews on this page for the newest update either. Due to the forced updates and redesigns of the Family Hub, I am not likely to buy another Samsung refrigerator.