Original topic:

Family hub 6.0 software update

(Topic created: 08-08-2021 05:27 AM)
usereF0rEfLz7I
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Hi.
I am also very concerned about the new update to 6.0. I don't feel comfortable updating yet because it says I will lose a lot of the key features I use on the Family hub app. Moving everything to smartthings would be fine if all the current features from family hub app were brought over to the smartthings app. How can we possibly want to switch over if we are losing so many key features like memo, whiteboard, profiles for family members, shopping lists, photos and videos, .... and so on.
Please give everyone a little guidance on this issue because there is hardly any info out there on this topic. If this doesn't get resolved many new and existing family hub members are going to be so upset. Please advise on what is happening in the future of this update. As of now I am holding off on updating my fridge to 6.0.

Thank you so much
63 Replies
Privatepyle
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I'm probably in the minority, but there are some things I like in the update as far as the look of some of the widgets.  It looks cleaner and more modern.  That being said, I'm disappointed by the removal of some functionality, but hope that this is more of an alpha/beta vs. a finished release.  My biggest complaints so far:

• The widgets and icons don't align to a grid, which drives my OCD crazy trying to get everything arranged perfectly
  • The SmartThings thermostat widget is a nice addition, except it only shows Celsius for my Ecobee.
  • The additional calendar widgets are nice, but I miss having the one that shows the week and all my appointments/activities for the entire week.  Appears the only thing that can be done is show what is on the schedule for the day (unless you actually open the calendar).  
  • There is no "home" screen, so the fridge stays on the last screen you were on, can be good or bad depending on how you have it setup.  I would like the "home" button to at least take me to a designated primary page/screen.
  • Alexa was not needed in my opinion and is slow to react.  Similar how it was executed on the Invoke speaker when microsoft allowed Alexa to sit next to cortana.  I use bixby or google most times as Alexa doesn't do a good job of report the status of my washer, dryer, dishwasher, range.

That is it so far for me.  I probably use less features than a lot of you on here.  I don't really use ToDo list, Shopping list etc, as I use a different app for managing that. 

EDIT:  So after using this for a week now, I'm disappointed in the performance and capabilities.  While the UI seems better (personal opinion), the functionality is just not there.  This seems like an early alpha at this point.  One of the main features I use is the SmartThings widget to get quick access to various things in the house while I'm cooking or in the kitchen.  The widget stops working every few hours and the only way to access it again is by rebooting the tablet.  My substitute at this time is that I have the browser set open to my Action Tiles homescreen, where I have the functionality I need.  Hopefully Samsung is looking at the feedback and working on an update to fix all these issues.  At this point I wish I could revert back.

user2W64Sl7gFp
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

First, I'll be disparaging Samsung every chance I get.   If you're thinking about it.  Do not by this fridge.  Even if you like it today they don't give a  what you like and it could be taken from you any time.  The way I see it they damaged my property with this update since literally half the functions I used were changed/removed/broken

It was such a tragic mistake I made by updating without checking the web first.  I wish it wasn't hyperbole but the Family hub is useless to me now.  Main functionality we used are gone.   In my head it was near perfect before, and now it's a disaster.  All they needed to do was add the youtube video ability and leave the rest alone. 

1. They removed multiple weather widgets on the home screen.  Yes we had 4 showing weather where my extended family lives.  It was nice at a glance to see what weather was like when talking to people.  Now only one can be added.

2. Sync with Outlook broken.  We had a central calendar account that we all had sync'd to our phones AND computers so we could add things anywhere it would show up on the fridge. 

3. Website icons on the home screen switched from favicons to the stupid little boxes that don't show anything useful.  Clutters up the homepage.  It was FINE before. 

4. Can't remove the smart recipes page.  I guess since it doesn't auto-switch to it means I can possibly forget it is there but why remove basic functionality like removing a page you don't want.  Having it there is not going to make me use your crappy app solution. 

5. Alexa is crappy and slow

6. Can't remove the clock at the top.

7. Memos were fine before.  We had an area where we could see 3-4 easily and add and remove them.  Terrible now.

If Samsung is listening.  Give me back my old software or this will be the last Samsung device I ever buy.  Such a terrible experience this is.

Tyrolious
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Heads up: Samsung removed a bunch of my posts to different threads because I copied and pasted the same message. Fortunately I was incensed enough that coming up with an original diatribe for each of the threads was fairly trivial. 

Be sure to check out this thread:
https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Kitchen-and-Family-Hub/Loss-of-features-with-TIZEN-6-0-on-Family...

userAEt0XFlkIG
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I think it's ridiculous that Samsung considers this issue as "Solved" when complaints still abound without any real resolution.  An explanation of what has changed is NOT a resolution when those changes are still being criticized. protested and denounced by the community at large.

The feature we miss the most is the Family Board which allowed us to post up to 12 pictures (still limiting but better than the current six) as the "Home" page.

Members_3tWnQjC
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The recent Family hub update has changed my home screen with family photos , It wiped it out and it seems you and only add 6 photos. My old screen I was able to add 12 photos Please Samsung fix this 

Thank you

Members_3tWnQjC
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The recent Family hub update has changed my home screen with family photos , It wiped it out and it seems you and only add 6 photos. My old screen I was able to add 12 photos Please Samsung fix this ..Thank you

Routerman
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I agree with all of the comments.  How do you consider removing features and enhancement or upgrade.  I don't understand how a Software update can be touted as an improvement when it removes or restricts most of the features that were the original selling points of the product.    You can no long update memos, or other items from a SmartPhone except for pictures, and pictures are limited to 6 pictures per screen.  A lot of the Family Hub Apps are now App Icons that you have to click on to view the information.   You can no longer view items like Whiteboard, tasks. or calendar appointments without clicking on the App Icon first to see what the "App" reveals.in a seperate pop up screen  You can no longer resize certain Apps so they can be be resized and pinned on a screen to be visible when you walk by.   They did add Alexa integration which is pretty much useless since most people with an Amazon Alexa account and product already have an Echo, Dot. or other device including a SmartPhone which already provides this service.   

userJonSAazKaA
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The 6.0 software update removed most of our favorite features of the family hub. 

No more collage of pics and videos.  No more viewing live Ring cameras.  No more tips/word of the day.

It's so frustrating that we pretty much stopped looking at it.

usereF0rEfLz7I
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Samsung better fix this right away or they will be losing alot of loyal customers and lose on the appliance sales as well. The old functions need to be returned. Or have the family hub app reinstated for the 6.0 community. This needs to be done immediately. Customers are buying the fridge based on old reviews and features and a completely let down when they realize they have taken all of the features away. Please fix Samsung
userziHEe77T8v
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We loved this Fridge since our purchase in spring of 2018.  There have a been about two software updates per year since and we have not lost our own personal information until now.  The update notes and suggestions to back up photos were clear. The photo back up and restore went fine. But when we went to retrieve our shopping and food lists we found they are deleted!  There were hundreds of items in there from theme specific shopping lists to all our food in freezers, fridge, and pantry with location and expire date. The update deleted these and Samsung claims they cannot get them back. Samsung also did not offer a solution going forward. In summary I'm very upset about the loss of the food information that is ours and I'm very concerned about trusting these features going forward.  One customer service rep actually suggested I take pictures of the information I put into the shopping and food list apps!    That is crazy talk!  If loss of my information is a risk during updates then offer a backup process like was done with the photos.  My trust of the apps is now lost until this can be resolved. Imagine a friend of yours for three years steals from you, how can you trust going forward. This is what has happened. Our relationship is now very damaged and I don't see Samsung trying to repair it.