cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Freezer reading -2 but not freezing

Are you still needing assistance?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userrShT6U27Lx
Constellation

We have been experiencing a similar situation with our 4 1/2 yr old Samsung French Door RF28HMEDBSR for a few months.  First time back in November, Panel read -2 and 34 yet everything in the freezer melted and had to be thrown away.  After reading many blogs we reset the fridge power at breaker for about a minute and the unit started working fine for about 1 month.  Then same problem reocurred but we caught it before everything melted totally. Reset power and worked fine for a few more days, then repeat every few days.  Appears to be a problem with defrost cycle getting stuck in defrost mode???

We placed a service call and had a tech come out for an out of warranty call.  He recommended replacing both electronic boards since this is what he normally did for warranty calls that seem to be resolved by these parts changes.  He offered to do them one at a time but I just bit the bullet and decided to replace both together for about $450 that I was willing to spend to fix it vs buying a new fridge.  Needless to say we were about paranoid and afraid of losing more freezer contents so we were running with the freezer fairly empty, monitoring the freezer temp with a thermometer and checking the freezer frequently.  Getting to be a PIA.

NOW, WHEN IT APPEARED to fail again a day later I started going nuts. Called for service tech to return, he called for details and called Samsung support.  They asked for a test using a half bottle of water in the freezer so they could get a good determination that contents were still actually melting and that we weren't just seeing an air temp change inside the freezer.  Another check before considering sealed system issues that the tech strongly felt was not our problem.  Since the freezer is pretty much empty at this point I am ok with some test time.

NOW, with my paranoia calming down, I am just about concluding that the board replacements may have actually fixed the problem.  With my monitoring over the last two days I have noticed two incidents so far where the freezer temp has increased 10-20 degrees for a 10-20 minute period but returned to cooling on it's own without my doing a power reset.  The water bottle has remained frozen through these cycles with no sign of melting.  I can't tell how long the cycle actually is because I am just catching it randomly during this cycle.  My internet research leads me to believe a defrost cycle last 10-20 minutes and a temp increase of 10-25 degrees would not be uncommon depending on the contents of the freezer.  I haven't been able to find any definitive info on Samsung defrost cycle length or timing.  Seems it may be a variable thing.

The summary of this paragraph is that I may now be noticing working and correct defrost cycles,  that would previously have gone unnoticed, only because of the paranoia developed over the last few months of failures.  At least I hope so as I would like this episode to be over.

user2qnDsxYFFa
Constellation

I am having the same issue.  The unit is just about 7 months old.  Freezer temp is flashing and I’m certain door is closed.  Refrigerator is working however Freezer is not.  Help?!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

We are sorry to hear about this. Please send the model and serial numbers to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

usercu6ZkEsoRn
Constellation

I'm having the same issue too! And water collects under my veggie drawers and turns to ice. I hope they figure out a solution but by going through this whole thread, it looks like there isn't one. If you figure one out let me know!

userYlSVjW2NBz
Constellation

I am having the same issue.  Freezer temp is at -26 and I’m certain door is closed.  Refrigerator is working however Freezer is not.  Help?!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@userYlSVjW2NBz I would be happy to look into this. Can you please send a private message here: http://bit.ly/2Kq3B5F with the full model and serial numbers of the refrigerator? 

usergc2XoOPBEA
Constellation

I am having the same issue now. the model is RF4267HARS/XAA;the refrigerate is above 4.5 year. the Ice Maker stopped working 6 month ago; now Freezer temp display is at -2 and actually temperature is above 33F. Please help.
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@usergc2XoOPBEA Please send us a private message with the full model code and serial number: Link

userqPGTi8Yytp
Constellation

Same issue... refrigerator working fine but freezer not getting cold enough. Display shows -2, however the thermometer I put in the freezer shows 28F. Model RF4287HARS.