cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

French Door Refrigerator leaks water, ice maker leaks and internal components show heat damage

I have a Samsung French Door refridgerator model #RF261BEAESR.  Here are the issues with the appliance:

1)  The fridge leaks water under the pantry drawer.  This water buildup enables the growth of black mold.  I've had to thoroughly clean and disinfect the fridge under the pantry for this issue. The leaking was discovered to be caused by ice build up in the drip pan, which prevents the water from draining. 

2) The bottom freezer ice maker stopped making ice and leaks water at the site of the water inlet.  The reason is unknown, but could be due to a freeze up on the inside of the icemaker. 

The water leak issue was being addressed and had to be accomplished by removing the cooling panel inside the fridge.  After the cooling panel was removed it was apparent there was heat damage behind the panel and a  3 inch crack in the refridgerator housing next to the drip pan.  

The heat damage is concerning because it was melting the styrofoam insulation.  It was also melting what appears to be some type of duct seal on the top of the heating element. The seal is a black puddy like material that appears to be breaking down from the heat and melted onto the cooling panel.

The most concerning issue is the the heat damage inside the fridge.  There's evidence of thermal damage against the cooling panel and possibly the housing evidenced by cracks.  The damage would not have been identified if the panel hadn't been removed.  The fridge appears to be a fire hazzard. The matter was reported to customer service.

Anyone else have this issue and/or a solutiion?

IMG_2873 2.JPGThermal Damage to insulationThermal Damage to insulationThermal DamageThermal DamageMelted substanceMelted substanceThermal damageThermal damageIMG_2892.JPGCorroded screwsCorroded screwsCracked internal housingCracked internal housingThermal damage inside drip holeThermal damage inside drip holeIMG_2886.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: French Door Refrigerator leaks water, ice maker leaks and internal components show heat damage

This is something that I would like to have my specialized team take a look into. Can you send me a private message with the full model and serial number or an email address?    http://bit.ly/2sSxapD

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: French Door Refrigerator leaks water, ice maker leaks and internal components show heat damage

IMG_2873 2.JPG

Highlighted
Asteroid

I have had the same problems and Samsung won't do anything to fix it.  Samsung has pathetic customer service.  It is the worst company ever to deal with.  They have only one authorized service company in all of Seattle - HSN.  They came to my house 3 times and couldn't fix my problem with malfunctioning defrost system that results in being unable to keep fridge cooler than 40 degrees without resorting to pushing the 'power cool' button every 30 min.  I am junking my fridge and buying an LG unit.  Samsung is the worst appliance company ever!  they don't stand behind their product.  they should have done a nationwide RECALL and helped their customers deal with their defect-ridden product. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

I heard from the product liability team today. They want to send a service technician.  Ironically, no one can tell me when one would be here.  Previously customer service said it would be a long time and no one was available. That's the only option.  A phanton service tech that no one knows will ever arrive and then we can go from there .  

How many people can go without a fridge for a couple of weeks or more while Samsung piddles around?  They could care less about a customer and want to put up roadblocks so that all their liabilities just go away. Not a fan , but they do a great job of creating ill will in their customer base.