cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ditek2000
Constellation

French door refrigerator icemaker freezeups.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I purchased a Samsung French Door Refrigerator Model#RF23HCEDBSR  in June 2016, and it was installed in Sept 2016 after our kitchen remodel. 

Problems with icemaker started pretty quick for such an expensive appliance. I will summarize our repair experience:

Icemaker has been completely replaced 5 times on these dates: 4/24/17, 8/31/17, 2/16/18, 5/31/18 and 8/31/18. Plus another service visit to perform Ice Room Bulletin repairs on June 1, 2017. 

Since the last NEW icemaker was installed on 8/31/2018 we decided to just defrost it ourselves every time it ices up using a hair dryer instead of hassling with calling service and arranging to be home when they come.  Every 4-5 weeks this icemaker freezes up completely not allowing any  ice to drop..

We had to defrost icemaker these dates subsequent to the latest NEW  icemaker installation on 8/31/2018 : Defrosted by us on: 10/1/18, 12/3/18, 1/03/19,2/15/19, 3/9/19. 4/19/19, 5/10/19, 6/19/19 and 7/16/19. As of today 9/19/19, It has been frozen up for a week or two now and I refuse to defrost it anymore. I have had to purchase a bag of ice every time I go to the grocery store for years now. Since these problems started early I spent an extra $344.12 on 3-year extended warranty from Samsung in 2017 (offered to me when the manufacturer warranty was about to expire) because I could already see the writing on the wall with needing 2 service calls in the first year.

I have photos of all the freeze ups, I have ticket numbers for all the repairs performed, I really need some help here. I have been promised many times that if “it breaks again” then it will be considered “unrepairable” and replaced. Yet each time it happens again the answer has been for them to put in a ticket for service.. usually with a different repair service than the previous call. ( Probably because each repair service company was on the edge of calling it “unrepairable”.) Their solution = send a different repair service company out.  Please help. I feel as if I have wasted so much time and money and my life in general on this refrigerator. Really unbelievable. 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: French door refrigerator icemaker freezeups.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry to hear about this, repairs are generally recommended. Please send the full model code and serial number to this link and we'd be happy to look into your options: http://bit.ly/2LSliR1 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry to hear about this, repairs are generally recommended. Please send the full model code and serial number to this link and we'd be happy to look into your options: http://bit.ly/2LSliR1 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

usere5J7IQyWo2
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem on RF28HMEDBSR. Bought in late 2017. Issues started about 20 days after end of warranty. Is this a fixable problem? Will samsung take responsibility for this rampant issue? Or do I just cut my loses make this my garage fridge and switch brands forever?

userEeMzp4q71B
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You should have Samsung allow a repair.. since this is a known issue, then when it fails again (which it will) request a full refund. If u need guidance search on facebook "samsung refrigerator" and u will find a page that will guide u thru the refund process. Hopefully u see this before moderator decides to delete it 😂 good luck to you and Get your money back!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We apologize for the inconvenience, could you send us a private message with your full serial number? 

Torrieny
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Same issue! Different fridge! I called Samsung and was told this isn't warranted, although a known issue... Really? I wasn't happy and needless to say, my husband is now shopping for a new fridge and we will NEVER buy another samsung product again. Very annoying since we have always had great experiences with our Samsung products. The phone in support person told me to defrost the fridge. After 3 days and about $100+ of lost meat from my freezer, I fixed the problem by myself. Defrosted and set it up and its working well. My concern is that it will happe again. I did the online chat and the person "ASSURED" this will n to happen again. I told him this is a known issue and is known to reoccur. He said "I assure you it won't". I said - all I'm looking for is a way to avoid the issue from reoccurring.... No help. No answer. So now what? Do i just sit and wait for this to happen again? How do we prevent this from happening again? My husband said we get rid of the samsung fridge... Ugh... not happy. 

Torrieny

usergxmYeEmPEd
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My fridge does this as well, is there no fix? My fridge is level and at the correct temperature. 

Hootah1
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same problem.   My icemaker freezes up all of the time and I have to defrost it which is ridiculous for a frige this expensive, but now it won't even reset and makr any ice.  This is the most expensive and least impressive refrigerator that I have ever owned. I have told about 25 friends and 30 co-workers that this refrigerator is a piece of junk and NEVER buy Samsung. Price be , my next refrigerator will be SubZero, Wolf stove or any German made appliance.  Model # RF26J7500SR/AA     S/N <HIDDEN>   ICE MAKER # SZAB001TA1

DCSTRATO
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same issue for many years.  Did all the sealing and part change, etc. , with no luck.  I finally just turned the water pressure down to as low as possible in late June and still be able to fill a glass of water.  Amazingly its been two months now and the ice maker has worked with no issues.  Worth a try if you have nothing else to lose.  My suspicions were that the ice filling funnel could not handle the filling flow rate and water was splashing back up into the unit causing clear ice buildup that then blocked the defrost vent and it all went downhill from there.   May not help everyone, but it has been nice to have ice when asked for without all the constant defrosting.  I suspect it might still happen, but even once a year would be a blessing from what it has been.  

Cheers
user5rlnTtSLSt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

It seems Samsung doesn’t want to help the thousands of people that have this ice maker/refrigerator problem. The real shocker is that they've carried on building them the same way. I think the wisest thing to do is to get rid of the unit, and buy a unit without ice in the door, unless you get a side by side. It seems many of the French door refrigerators have these ice maker problems, but Samsung seems to be the worst, which is sad, because the fridge looks really nice. I'm personally going with a new Bosch. Ice in the freezer and water dispenses inside, so there shouldn’t be these problems.