cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

Fridge Ice Maker won't stop making ice

I have Samsung Fridge model RF28K9070SR/AA

My ice maker, which I know has been an issue for a lot of people, was having an issue where the maker would freeze up solid and the only way to fix it was to pull out the bucket and take a hair dryer to the frozen parts of the maker until it all cleared up.

After an endless cycle of doing this, I began to realize what my real issue was, and that is that my ice maker does not know when to stop.  It seems it no longer detects when the bucket is full, and continues to make ice until it clogs up the top and eventually due to some kind of humidity or freeze/thaw, it starts solidifying and then jamming the maker itself.

Assuming it was a sensor problem, I checked and made sure there was no obstructions between the IR and into the bucket, and it all looks clear.  I also read a tip to look at the sensor through a cell phone camera and it should light up on the screen if it was active, and sure enough, it lightens up on my screen so it seems the sensor is doing something.

Does anyone have  a suggestion on what to do with it?  My current workaround is to leave the make off until our bucket gets low, then turn it on and put a post-it note on the fridge as a reminder to turn it off again before it overfills.

3 REPLIES 3
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Fridge Ice Maker won't stop making ice

I completely understand how frustrating this must be. Have you tried to reset the ice maker? When you remove the bucket do you see a white wire hanging down?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Constellation

I have tried resetting the ice maker several times using the button on the side of the ice maker, I'm assuming that's what you mean.  As for wire on the inside, I'm not seeing anything I would describe as that, i'm adding a picture of inside my ice maker.20201206_200257.jpg

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

The next step would be to proceed with service. Please feel free to send me a private message with your full serial number so that I can look into this for you. http://bit.ly/33ipYnO

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.