cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

Fridge and ice maker freezing over

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have read many of the threads on this issue and understand that this is a pervasive problem. For the past year and a half, we have to defrost our Samsung refrigerator because the coils and ice box become iced over approximately once a month (sometimes sooner) . This takes considerable time and effort every month and sometimes leads to us having to dispose of food that has been held at unsafe temperatures. I constantly fear that our food is not safe and monitor the temperature of the refrigerator daily with a thermometer. We have had to purchase and install a new evaporator fan as well, as the built up ice wore the original one out. This is becoming an added stress during the COVID-19 outbreak as we are try to do our part and shop as infrequently as possible and not make unnecessary trips to replace spoiled food or purchase ice so that we can store our food in coolers while the fridge defrosts every several weeks.  Will you please do someting about this issue so that your customers can relieve ourselves of this added stress. Please!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Fridge and ice maker freezing over

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you verify that the ICE off light is not turned on? When ice only drops from the ice maker if the test switch/button on the ice maker is pressed, verify that the Ice Off icon is not illuminated on the display panel. When the Ice Off icon is illuminated, the ice maker is turned off. However, when pressing the test button, the ice maker will continue to harvest any ice that is in its ice tray.

Samsung recommends that you change your water filter every 6 months. If your water filter has not been changed in the last 6 months feel free to purchase one on Samsung.com or samsungparts.com

Replace the water filter in your Samsung refrigerator:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00060149/

Check the dispenser's water pressure.

Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.
If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.

If your ice maker is frozen over we recommend defrosting the unit by unplugging it or turning it off at the breaker and then performing the reset step below.

Reset the ice maker.

There is a test button on the ice maker. (Most models will require you to remove the ice bucket to view the ice maker.) You can typically find an illustration of the location of the test button in your user manual. Once you find this button:
Press and hold the test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds).
The test takes about 6 minutes. During the test cycle, you will hear ice drop into the bucket and the water valve energize to fill the ice maker.
At the end of the test, another chime will be heard.
Note: If the ice maker does not chime when you press the button, or if it does not chime at the end of the test, unplug the refrigerator or power it down at the circuit breaker, wait 2 minutes, and power it back up. Watch the display for any error codes. Then, try the button again. If it still does not chime, visit our Support Center to request service.

Allow 24 hours after the reset for ice production to get back to normal.

You should see some ice production much sooner, however, it may take the full 24 hours for it to return to normal production amounts (approximately 2 trays of ice every 3 hours).
Be sure to dispense ice occasionally during this period. If ice piles up at one end of the bucket, the ice maker will think it is full and stop ice production. Find more information in the "Ice maker is making some ice but not enough" section.
If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help you are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent using the following link or by visiting any mod's profile. --> https://bit.ly/2tWAAvS

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Product Expert

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey @userxNMAwdV02r 

I do apologize for what is happening right now and hopefully we can figure out a solution for you. I am going to add @samsungmodetator to see what options can be done for you. @SamsungLarry @SamsungLou 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Okay, thank you @Mikey_75. When can I expect to hear from them?

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you verify that the ICE off light is not turned on? When ice only drops from the ice maker if the test switch/button on the ice maker is pressed, verify that the Ice Off icon is not illuminated on the display panel. When the Ice Off icon is illuminated, the ice maker is turned off. However, when pressing the test button, the ice maker will continue to harvest any ice that is in its ice tray.

Samsung recommends that you change your water filter every 6 months. If your water filter has not been changed in the last 6 months feel free to purchase one on Samsung.com or samsungparts.com

Replace the water filter in your Samsung refrigerator:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00060149/

Check the dispenser's water pressure.

Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.
If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.

If your ice maker is frozen over we recommend defrosting the unit by unplugging it or turning it off at the breaker and then performing the reset step below.

Reset the ice maker.

There is a test button on the ice maker. (Most models will require you to remove the ice bucket to view the ice maker.) You can typically find an illustration of the location of the test button in your user manual. Once you find this button:
Press and hold the test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds).
The test takes about 6 minutes. During the test cycle, you will hear ice drop into the bucket and the water valve energize to fill the ice maker.
At the end of the test, another chime will be heard.
Note: If the ice maker does not chime when you press the button, or if it does not chime at the end of the test, unplug the refrigerator or power it down at the circuit breaker, wait 2 minutes, and power it back up. Watch the display for any error codes. Then, try the button again. If it still does not chime, visit our Support Center to request service.

Allow 24 hours after the reset for ice production to get back to normal.

You should see some ice production much sooner, however, it may take the full 24 hours for it to return to normal production amounts (approximately 2 trays of ice every 3 hours).
Be sure to dispense ice occasionally during this period. If ice piles up at one end of the bucket, the ice maker will think it is full and stop ice production. Find more information in the "Ice maker is making some ice but not enough" section.
If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help you are welcome to send us a private message with the full model code and serial number in order to see if the unit is within the warranty or if it qualifies for any possible options. Messages can be sent using the following link or by visiting any mod's profile. --> https://bit.ly/2tWAAvS

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Why was my question marked as solved? This does not solve my problem. It is not just the ice maker that freezes over but also the evaporator coil. Sometimes both freeze over at the same time, and sometimes just one will freeze over, independent of the other. Most of the information provided here doesn't apply to my situation, and the evaporator coil was not addressed at all.

I know how to defrost my unit because I've done it numerous times over the past couple years. That is not what I asked. The issue I want answered is how do I prevent this from happening over and over again?

I confirm that the ICE off light is not on and the water pressure is fine.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was wondering that myself, nothing in the previous post related to your problems. i also have the same issue. From what ive been able to find out i believe its the auto defrost thats not working. its supposed to go thru a defrost cycle to keep it from freezing up. havent been able to find the part yet but still looking. hope this helps. stay safe in these crazy days!!!!!!

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been researching this and it is apparently a known design flaw in these refrigerators. We are dealing with the same, so frustrating. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the same issue.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userxNMAwdV02r wrote:

Why was my question marked as solved? This does not solve my problem. It is not just the ice maker that freezes over but also the evaporator coil. Sometimes both freeze over at the same time, and sometimes just one will freeze over, independent of the other. Most of the information provided here doesn't apply to my situation, and the evaporator coil was not addressed at all.

I know how to defrost my unit because I've done it numerous times over the past couple years. That is not what I asked. The issue I want answered is how do I prevent this from happening over and over again?

I confirm that the ICE off light is not on and the water pressure is fine.

I agree.  Solution was offered as I am having the same issue.  Why would it be marked as solved?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

These are not  solutions to the problem as can be evidenced by numerous complaints about this exact issue on this forum, youtube, and across the net.  Latest repairman has informeed me samsung has issued a fourth fix for the icemaker and it "may" work.  The fix is roughly 800 dollars parts and laber just for the icemaker fix.   Money better used to buy a different brand.