cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Ice maker is frosted over

I’m having the same issue. I've had my refrigerator since 2018 and never had an issue until this week. Ice maker is frozen.... thawed it out and lasted about a week before more frost.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

I can see how this may be frustrating. Can you give these troubleshooting steps a try?

1.  When was the last time you changed your water filter? 
  2. After you defrost the ice maker, have you tried to reset the ice maker? 
  3. Is the unit leveled 
  4.  https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062321/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Constellation

I've had the same issue for six years. its a defect in the refrigerator design. There is a class action lawsuit against Samsung for the ice maker. I filed a complaint with the New Jersey BBB and, although Samsung called me, they sent me to four different agents and kept me on hold for over an hour. There was no follow up and no one offered a solution. Apparently, they don't care enough about their customers to do the right thing. I wish you luck. 

Highlighted
Constellation

My fridge model #RF25HMED3SR

ice maker keeps freezing and accumulating lots of ice. I will scrape the ice, it works for 7-10 days then freezes again. Help! Is it the seal? 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

How long have you had your fridge? Do you see any seal damages anywhere?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Get used to it.  It is a design deffect, which they will not admit to.  I have have this blasted box for four years, and every month you have to defrost to get ice.  Then, its mushy ice at best!  There is a class action suit going on right now, let's see what happens.  Samsung needs to stand behind their machines AND customers.  Unfortunately, up till now, both are being left in the "cold".

Highlighted
Asteroid

Thanks for the explanation

-------------------------------------Signature------------------------------------------

[US only] Save on your online purchases with the cashback site trusted by 10 million users

Highlighted
Astronaut

I have a rf22npedbsr/aa that I bought just over a year ago. The ice maker keeps freezing over. Seems like this is a common problem with these. It's very difficult trying to get any help. I'm not going to use a hair dryer. Can anyone help?

Highlighted
Constellation

I'm late coming to the party on this, but I wanted to share my experiences and research. I have a 4-door flex fridge, but it shares the same ice maker design as other Samsung french door refrigerators. 

Many posts 

https://youtu.be/4WrzNhySQa8

Step-by-step instructions on how to see if your Samsung refrigerator has Y-Clips to help prevent excess frost or ice buildup in the ice maker compartment. Pa...
Constellation

Sorry I clicked "send" too soon. Many have defrosted the icemaker only to have the problem return. I discovered that the reason is that there is ice buildup behind the ice maker, blocking moisture exit from the cooling coil, which causes the ice-up to return.  The only way to fix it is to remove the ice maker and defrost all the ice buildup. You need to also make sure that the drain tube is clear.

Then, there is a retrofit kit for about $7 that has "Y-clips" that helps direct moisture from the freezer coil defrost cycle down into the drain channel. Based on my basic science education, this seems like a very reasonable way to prevent future ice buildup. 

This is an easy DIY project. You do have to be careful removing the icemaker - the freezer coil is part of the refrigerator and remains in the compartment when you pull the icemaker out. You have to carefully bend the freezer coil down about 3 inches to pull the icemaker out. But otherwise it's 2 screws and pressing of an unlocking tab.  Then, carefully remove all the ice buildup. I used a clothes steamer, but you can use a hair dryer (from afar) or just leave the fridge open to the air for an hour. Then install the Y-clip retrofit kit. 

There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show how to do this. Here's a link to a video that shows it and how to install the Y-clips retrofit kit. It's from a parts house that sells the kit, but you can get it anywhere - except I had zero success locating it on the Samsung parts website - couldn't look it up by Samsung part number even.

It's been about month since I did this - no icing up so far. 

Good luck to all. Shame on Samsung not being transparent on this one - all they'll do on a service call is charge you to defrost it, install the retrofit kit and maybe sell you a replacement ice maker. It takes about an hour to disassemble the ice maker and determine if it's leaking and needs replacement - something no repairman will do.