cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Ice maker is frosted over

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a rf22npedbsr/aa that I bought just over a year ago. The ice maker keeps freezing over. Seems like this is a common problem with these. It's very difficult trying to get any help. I'm not going to use a hair dryer. Can anyone help?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm late coming to the party on this, but I wanted to share my experiences and research. I have a 4-door flex fridge, but it shares the same ice maker design as other Samsung french door refrigerators. 

Many posts 

https://youtu.be/4WrzNhySQa8

Step-by-step instructions on how to see if your Samsung refrigerator has Y-Clips to help prevent excess frost or ice buildup in the ice maker compartment. Pa...
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry I clicked "send" too soon. Many have defrosted the icemaker only to have the problem return. I discovered that the reason is that there is ice buildup behind the ice maker, blocking moisture exit from the cooling coil, which causes the ice-up to return.  The only way to fix it is to remove the ice maker and defrost all the ice buildup. You need to also make sure that the drain tube is clear.

Then, there is a retrofit kit for about $7 that has "Y-clips" that helps direct moisture from the freezer coil defrost cycle down into the drain channel. Based on my basic science education, this seems like a very reasonable way to prevent future ice buildup. 

This is an easy DIY project. You do have to be careful removing the icemaker - the freezer coil is part of the refrigerator and remains in the compartment when you pull the icemaker out. You have to carefully bend the freezer coil down about 3 inches to pull the icemaker out. But otherwise it's 2 screws and pressing of an unlocking tab.  Then, carefully remove all the ice buildup. I used a clothes steamer, but you can use a hair dryer (from afar) or just leave the fridge open to the air for an hour. Then install the Y-clip retrofit kit. 

There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show how to do this. Here's a link to a video that shows it and how to install the Y-clips retrofit kit. It's from a parts house that sells the kit, but you can get it anywhere - except I had zero success locating it on the Samsung parts website - couldn't look it up by Samsung part number even.

It's been about month since I did this - no icing up so far. 

Good luck to all. Shame on Samsung not being transparent on this one - all they'll do on a service call is charge you to defrost it, install the retrofit kit and maybe sell you a replacement ice maker. It takes about an hour to disassemble the ice maker and determine if it's leaking and needs replacement - something no repairman will do. 

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry here's the link to the video for ordering /installing the retrofit kit:

https://youtu.be/4WrzNhySQa8

Step-by-step instructions on how to see if your Samsung refrigerator has Y-Clips to help prevent excess frost or ice buildup in the ice maker compartment. Pa...
Highlighted
Constellation

Ice Maker replaced 3 times

JUMP TO SOLUTION

When we purchased our Samsung Refridgerator RF22K9581SG/AA00 we opted for the 5 year service plan and that God we did.   Our ice make is a LEMON.  Ice Build Up and then it stops working.  The Ice that did somehow make it to the bucket will melt and when I press to get ice a nice stream of water pours out.  We have had the ice maker replace 3 times and a new service call in for a fourth.  Our service plan is set to expire so if it happens again we are out of luck.  This is so frustrating and something that no one who spends a small fortune on a refridgerator should have to deal with.  I am beyond dealing with this anymore and want a refund.  How do I get this done???

ICE MAKER REPALCED

10/12/2016

07/14/2017

5/24/2019

7/14/2020 (service call placed)

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Ice Maker replaced 3 times

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry to hear about this. Please send a recent ticket number, or the model and serial numbers, to this PM Link, and we will look in to this.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

SamsungLou,

I sent you a private message today with my model and serial numbers. Can you look into options / accomodations.  I understand the class action lawsuit is in mediation... whatever that means.  I am anxious to get the full assembly replacement and get this issue behind me.  Pray that Samsung will assist with compensation.  Please let me know if you are able to work my case.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello the PM link you gave me was dead.  Please send a new one so I can supply the required information.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung 

I had same problems everyone experienceing with frost and ice jamming.
The ice bucket and auger assembly were the latest so I worked from there to resolve the issue.

1. sealed the ice room......problem persists.

2. pulled auger assembly, checked fan motor to ascertain it worked...running fine with 12VDC.

2a.  With auger Assy  removed checked the water inlet tube. Found it properly positioned.
3. installed drip clips on ice maker evaporator coil.....problem persists.

4.checked dispenser door and ice bucket sealing...all sealing well.

5.tilted refrigerator .....problem persists

Now comes my deduction.
I noticed that the ice room fan had a third wire. Well, on computer fans, which are similar, this is usually an indication of a PWM motor which changes speed dependent on temperature. Nowhere could I find how to check the fan while the fridge is running...nowhere.  My deduction was to first replace the main

control board. Well, that did resolve the ice maker frosting up. It's been 2 months and not a hint of frost and more than enough ice. It is opinion the ice room fan operation is critical in keeping frost from building and jamming of cubes. Somehow, Samsung must find a way to determine the ice room  fan operation when all the parts are in place and fridge running.

Highlighted
Constellation

Refrigerator Model RF23HCEDBSR Ice Maker Issue

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For the last year, my ice maker has had issues and now it won't work at all. Of course, now it is out of warranty due to me waiting too long to complain. 

Any advice on fixing it?