cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Ice Maker Keeps Freezing

Can you look into this for me?  I have my model and serial number.  This appears to be a very common problem.  Is this covered under a recall for a defective product?

Highlighted
Astronaut

I know thousands of people are having this same issue, and I'm sure there are thousands more who are not reporting it, but what is being done about this problem? Every week I have to scrape off the ice buildup so I can get cubes dropped into the bucket. I've tried the reset option and even the RTV silicone sealant inside the ice maker. Nothing works!!

Can a Samsung rep please respond and let me know if there are any newer updates to this issue?

Highlighted
Constellation

I have the same problem with my Samsung RF23M8070SR.  The ice maker has started to jam up with ice and the refrigerator is only 2 years old!  I have to get a hair dryer to defrost the ice maker (not safe!) and reset it, only to have it happen again a couple days later.  I've been researching and it appears that this problem is rampant with this Samsung ice maker/refrigerator.  It appears that there was a class action lawsuit and Sumsung put out a service bulletin to replace the ice maker.  Samsung please help!  The fridge has been great with the exception of the ice maker.  Is there an updated ice maker you can replace?  Thanks.

Highlighted
Astronaut

These ice makers are junk and Samsung knows it! Our freezes up every 2 weeks, we have had repairme out here on several occasions, nothing helps. It is a design flaw and we need a refund!  

Constellation

Having the same problem with my 2 1/2 year old 4 door model RF23M8070SR, purchased for approx $2k at Best Buy. Ice Maker started icing up soon after purchased. I would defrost about once a month. Problem got worse until defrosting required about once a week. Finally got bad enough earlier this year  that I called Samsung and found that my warranty had just expired. Recently, the ice maker has stopped icing over because the freezer will not cool below 40 degrees.  It's nice that the ice maker is no longer icing-over but this is not the resoultion I had hoped for.

Today I had an appliance tech examine it and he found that I have a freon leak, probably from compressor or coil. He told me he's seen a bunch of these problems with Samsungs. He told me he could refill the freon but it would leak again. He estimated it would cost $500 - $1,000 to fix problem. Given all the problems he recommended that I just junk it.  He also told me that there's a class action suit for this problem (Bianchi v Samsung in NJ).

I called/chatted with two Samsung support reps today who both politely told me that since it's off warranty they could make an appointment for me to fix it at my own expense. 

Highlighted
Astronaut

Same problem as most.  Ice maker keeps freezing up and need to defrost every 2 months or so.  Model #SZAB002TA2.  This is on the french door fridge model #RF23HCEDBSR/AA.

Talked with Samsung service support on line.  They only wanted to send a service tech at my expense for this well known issue.

I will never buy another samsung product after spending over $2k on this product.

Highlighted
Constellation

We have been having issues with the ice maker on our  rf23j9011sg/aa where it will freeze up and stop making ice.  I have to defrost and break away all of the ice before it will start working again.  This has been happening every few weeks for the past 6 months.  Is there anyway to fix this?

Highlighted
Astronaut

I'm having the same issue, defrost and a few weeks later, stopped making ice and had to spend half hour defrosting and drying everything out. I've hit the reset button, what next? Really regretting buying this, and of course, it's out of warranty. 

Highlighted
Constellation

Samsung should get in touch with you through the forums or you can call them at 1-800-Samsung.  I had to open my own forum posting before I heard back, but they arranged service and sent someone out to fix it at no cost to me.  That made me feel much better about my purchase.  

Highlighted
Astronaut

Nope, it is an inherent design flaw and Samsung knows it.  Ask for a refund before you spend countless dollars on repair services which do nothing to help.