JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Ice Maker Issues (not making ice, freezing, etc.)

(Topic created: 09-01-2020 01:52 PM)
usertGuuIwakis
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Having the same problem with Samsung ice maker  freezing up not making ice.  I have to use the blow dryer to thaw it out weekly. It's been replaced by company I purchased it from, but the new ice maker they installed does the same thing. It's a default in factory refrigerator. All of them should have been recalled by Samsung. Samsung is coming out tomorrow to fix it again. We should all demand a replacement refrig.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MsBri1
Neutron Star
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Hello, There are a few factors that can cause an ice maker to not work. If the ice maker appears to not be making any or enough ice, low water pressure or a faulty water filter may be to blame.

Let's see if we can get this resolved for you.

Check to see if there is ice in your ice bucket.

If there is ice in your ice bucket, but it won't dispense, see the link below: 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01209062/

Verify the ice maker is turned on.

Most models have an Ice Off icon, which will light up when the ice maker is off. For ice production, change it so it's not lit.

Replace the water filter in your Samsung refrigerator:

Samsung recommends that you change your water filter every 6 months. If your water filter has not been changed in the last 6 months feel free to purchase one on Samsung.com or samsungparts.com

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00060149/

Check the dispenser's water pressure.

• Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.
  • If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.

If your ice maker is frozen over we recommend defrosting the unit by unplugging it or turning it off at the breaker and then performing the reset step below.

Reset the ice maker.

• There is a test button on the ice maker. (Most models will require you to remove the ice bucket to view the ice maker.) You can typically find an illustration of the location of the test button in your user manual. Once you find this button:
    • Press and hold the test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds).
    • The test takes about 6 minutes. During the test cycle, you will hear ice drop into the bucket and the water valve energize to fill the ice maker.
    • At the end of the test, another chime will be heard.

Note: If the ice maker does not chime when you press the button, or if it does not chime at the end of the test, unplug the refrigerator or power it down at the circuit breaker, wait 2 minutes, and power it back up. Watch the display for any error codes. Then, try the button again. If it still does not chime, visit our Support Center to request service.

Allow 24 hours after the reset for ice production to get back to normal.

• You should see some ice production much sooner, however, it may take the full 24 hours for it to return to normal production amounts (approximately 2 trays of ice every 3 hours).
  • Be sure to dispense ice occasionally during this period. If ice piles up at one end of the bucket, the ice maker will think it is full and stop ice production. Find more information in the "Ice maker is making some ice but not enough" section.

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help you would need to speak with one of our moderators via private message. Service would be required to resolve the situation, however, if you've already had service multiple times and the issue continues, We would need to review your case further so ask that you send us a private message as well.  Please feel free to reach out to us directly via one of the following options and with a link to our thread along with your full model and serial number. 

Facebook Messenger: http://m.me/samsungsupport
Twitter: https://twitter.com/messages/compose?recipient_id=18768513
Or you can use the following link below to request service. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

134 Replies
userYD0baayElb
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We have RF23M8070SG/AA with the same problem. Ice maker freezes over. We hada service on it , and  the technician caulked the outside of the icemaker, but that did not work. I  had to clear the ice almost weekly. Currently the icemaker is frozen over to the point I can't even remove the icebucket. Ive turned the water off and we dont use the icemaker at all.  This is the most frustrated purchase we made. I planned to purchase a Samsung TV but after this experience I dont think I will. Very dissapointed. The fridge looks nice, but that's about all it does....

userWDOmUov3zG
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Here is a good video on how to repair the ice maker.

https://youtu.be/7F1IzwiIyAE

How to repair a Samsung ice maker. RF28HMEDBSR/AA I am not a Samsung Repair Technician. Do not use my advice! Samsung refrigerator ice maker problems
user85T6hzzIAx
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Me Too! I've been doing the

1. Defrost with hair dryer

2. Clean out the ice 

3. Clean up the mess

It takes about forty-five minutes then you need to wait a day for the ice to actually populate the bucket.

THen you need to do it again in two months - or less.

You can try all the fuzzy wuzzy stuff they suggest but there is and always was a serious flaw in the design and the problem will keep recurring.

I read on these boards that they NOW have a newly designed ice-maker that doesn't have the problem but it costs $450.00 installed. Check with the repair companies on that price.

My refrigerator is four years old and out of warranty although I started contacting the company before the warranty was expired and they didn't have a solution. Just a lot of fuzzy wuzzy. 

So instead of making it right for the customers who paid a lot of money and have been suffering with this refrigerator with faulty ice maker and it's design flaw -  it's tough toenails, Toots.

I'm exhausted dealing with this problem every two months for four years.

They will probably take this down so I'll check back

userkMPJukoswT
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This sounds just like our story!!  We had given up and just took out the insert and love without ice. Feel really frustrated and like we've been ultimately been told tough luck/deal with it

user8V0wSAAaHL
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

My RS25J500DSG/AA has a problem where ice builds up in the cavities both in front of and behind the fan nearab of ice to form the top of the freezer side.

We get poor ice production, then over time the fan starts to clatter, and even stops turning.

I've removed the back panels to expose a solid slab of ice one inch thick, a foot wide and over a foot tall. There is a second panel behind that, the panel the fan connects to, that also allows a thick ice slab to form.

Defrosting with a hair dryer is now a monthly chore.

usersAJbbe6IVS
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The ice maker on my RF28HFEDBSR stopped working.

I have forced defrost but no luck

any ideas 

userYD0baayElb
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I'm considering a stick of dynamite.... 

but you can try to reset the icemaker, replace the water filter and make sure you water line still provides water....  Mine constantly freezes over, so slightly different problem....

useroxRwRRuFiR
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Get the foil tape from homedepot and put it at the bottom of the icemaker outside were it meets the inside left in your  fridge air is getting in to the ice maker . I found this solution on youtube and it has worked 10 times better . Hope this helps 

trp1010
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have read how may others have had the same issue I have experienced since I have purchased this expensive refrigerator.  Model RF28JBEDBSG/AA.   There has to be something wrong with the engineering of this in-refrigerator ice maker.  Perhaps the insulation is not sufficient which is why the ice maker keeps freezing up, or perhaps Samsung needs to think about putting in a seperate defrost cycle.  I am almost wondering if there are enough of us having the same issue that Samsung will not address, would we have a class action suit on our hands.   If anyone found a long term fix, please share.   I ended up buying a countertop ice maker for now.