Original topic:

Ice Maker Issues (not making ice, freezing, etc.)

(Topic created: 11-30-2020 09:27 AM)
usertGuuIwakis
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Having the same problem with Samsung ice maker  freezing up not making ice.  I have to use the blow dryer to thaw it out weekly. It's been replaced by company I purchased it from, but the new ice maker they installed does the same thing. It's a default in factory refrigerator. All of them should have been recalled by Samsung. Samsung is coming out tomorrow to fix it again. We should all demand a replacement refrig.

134 Replies
Solution
MsBri1
Neutron Star
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Hello, There are a few factors that can cause an ice maker to not work. If the ice maker appears to not be making any or enough ice, low water pressure or a faulty water filter may be to blame.

Let's see if we can get this resolved for you.

Check to see if there is ice in your ice bucket.

If there is ice in your ice bucket, but it won't dispense, see the link below: 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01209062/

Verify the ice maker is turned on.

Most models have an Ice Off icon, which will light up when the ice maker is off. For ice production, change it so it's not lit.

Replace the water filter in your Samsung refrigerator:

Samsung recommends that you change your water filter every 6 months. If your water filter has not been changed in the last 6 months feel free to purchase one on Samsung.com or samsungparts.com

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00060149/

Check the dispenser's water pressure.

• Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.
  • If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.

If your ice maker is frozen over we recommend defrosting the unit by unplugging it or turning it off at the breaker and then performing the reset step below.

Reset the ice maker.

• There is a test button on the ice maker. (Most models will require you to remove the ice bucket to view the ice maker.) You can typically find an illustration of the location of the test button in your user manual. Once you find this button:
    • Press and hold the test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds).
    • The test takes about 6 minutes. During the test cycle, you will hear ice drop into the bucket and the water valve energize to fill the ice maker.
    • At the end of the test, another chime will be heard.

Note: If the ice maker does not chime when you press the button, or if it does not chime at the end of the test, unplug the refrigerator or power it down at the circuit breaker, wait 2 minutes, and power it back up. Watch the display for any error codes. Then, try the button again. If it still does not chime, visit our Support Center to request service.

Allow 24 hours after the reset for ice production to get back to normal.

• You should see some ice production much sooner, however, it may take the full 24 hours for it to return to normal production amounts (approximately 2 trays of ice every 3 hours).
  • Be sure to dispense ice occasionally during this period. If ice piles up at one end of the bucket, the ice maker will think it is full and stop ice production. Find more information in the "Ice maker is making some ice but not enough" section.

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help you would need to speak with one of our moderators via private message. Service would be required to resolve the situation, however, if you've already had service multiple times and the issue continues, We would need to review your case further so ask that you send us a private message as well.  Please feel free to reach out to us directly via one of the following options and with a link to our thread along with your full model and serial number. 

Facebook Messenger: http://m.me/samsungsupport
Twitter: https://twitter.com/messages/compose?recipient_id=18768513
Or you can use the following link below to request service. https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userMoEO3YLCJq
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Samsung refrigerator ice maker freezes over. Use hair dryer to defrost. Repeat every two months. 4 year old fridge. Out of warranty. Very frustrating. Request help from Samsung to fix or replace the ice maker.  Model is RF263BEAEBC. Made in Dec 2016.

Driver1
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Take control
0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

After defrosting, we suggest lowering the water pressure to the unit.  The water coming in too hard and fast can cause the ice maker to freeze over.

If your ice maker is frozen over we recommend defrosting the unit by unplugging it or turning it off at the breaker and then performing the reset step below.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userCPdIFHW1Vu
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Model # RF23J9011SR/AA

The ice maker periodically freezws up so the ice gets stuck on the wall of the icemaker and does not drop into the tray. To fix temporarily I have to defrost the ice maker. As a result over time the tray from being pulled out and then reinserted has become cracked. It still dispenses ice but needs to be replaced.

user63FzDXEzzz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have had the same problem for 2 years and have called Samsung over  112 times.  They have replaced the ice maker 4 times and issued a replacement ticket 18 times.  It's 2 years later and no replacement.  Now they are offering a prorated refund and I'm pretty sure I'll never see that either.  They are absolutely the worst company ever to deal with and their appliances are no better.  We have been buying bags of ice for close to 2 years after spending $2800 on a new frig.  Unreal.  I did some research and found a company selling ice makers so we gave it a try.  We replaced the ice maker ourselves and I wish I would've done it sooner.  It works great!  I ordered it from partsdr.com.  They have a video on how to replace it and it was pretty easy.  I hope you get a resolution from Samsung, but I doubt it.  I will keep calling until I roll this piece of garbage out to the curb!

MSawka
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Anyone else having issues with this mode fridge no longer making ice once it freezes up?  I have to take an ice pick to the area to remove the frost and ice that surrounds the ice maker within a week.  Ice maker is located in the refrigerator portion.  Fridge cost more than $3K and is less than 3 yrs old. Problem started over 1 yr ago!

userVUvNC9u21x
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We have the ice maker in the freezer not the ice and water dispenser on the door but it keeps making ice and overflowing ... if we didn't empty it it would just fill the whole freezer with ice.  Is there some kind of a switch or mechanism that we have missed, to regulate the amount of ice the refrigerator makes?  

0 Likes
useruiTB8X9C4G
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The icemaker on ny RF265BEAE keeps freezing up.  I had chipped the ice off previously,  but this time it is too thick.  Is there a way to defrost like other models?

userEHWRl4FLVf
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have a Samsung fridge with water/ice dispenser, the ice maker is in the top refrigerator section. The icemaker freezes up stops making ice. I browsed for my model an found this is a common issue. There are codes for mine to defrost etc... I found these to be ineffective in my situation. I remedied this by removing the ice tray/dispenser, using a hair dryer ,with a dish towel folded on the bottom and manually defrosted the ice maker. To completely defrost takes about 10 min or so. I do this 2 months apart give or take. whenever it stops making ice. it seems that if you regularly use up the ice it freezes up less often.
good luck, my extended warranty didn't see it as there problem and Samsung hasn't remedied this issue.