cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Ice Maker Keeps Freezing

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a super fancy Samsung smart kitchen, including the fridge with the screen. The ice maker on the fridge keeps freezing! It looks like ice is getting stuck while it tries to fall into the bucket below but there is always a big chunck of ice up top, just stuck there. We are constantly having to defrost it, remove the ice and then within a week or two it is frozen again. I am so upset and cannot believe we spent so much money on an appliance that continues to fail. Has anyone found a fix for this? 

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Ice Maker Keeps Freezing

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello, There are a few factors that can cause an ice maker to not work. If the ice maker appears to not be making any or enough ice, low water pressure or a faulty water filter may be to blame.

Let's see if we can get this resolved for you.

Check to see if there is ice in your ice bucket.

If there is ice in your ice bucket, but it won't dispense, see the link below: 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01001875/

Verify the ice maker is turned on.

Most models have an Ice Off icon, which will light up when the ice maker is off. For ice production, change it so it's not lit.

Samsung recommends that you change your water filter every 6 months. If your water filter has not been changed in the last 6 months feel free to purchase one on Samsung.com or samsungparts.com

Replace the water filter in your Samsung refrigerator:

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00060149/

Check the dispenser's water pressure.

• Dispense water into a measuring cup for 10 seconds. You should get at least 6 ounces (3/4 cup) or more.
  • If you get less than 3/4 cup, your water pressure is too low. A potential cause might be a clogged water filter, so remove your water filter and try again.

If your ice maker is frozen over we recommend defrosting the unit by unplugging it or turning it off at the breaker and then performing the reset step below.

Reset the ice maker.

• There is a test button on the ice maker. (Most models will require you to remove the ice bucket to view the ice maker.) You can typically find an illustration of the location of the test button in your user manual. Once you find this button:
    • Press and hold the test button until you hear a chime (which may take up to 10 seconds).
    • The test takes about 6 minutes. During the test cycle, you will hear ice drop into the bucket and the water valve energize to fill the ice maker.
    • At the end of the test, another chime will be heard.

Note: If the ice maker does not chime when you press the button, or if it does not chime at the end of the test, unplug the refrigerator or power it down at the circuit breaker, wait 2 minutes, and power it back up. Watch the display for any error codes. Then, try the button again. If it still does not chime, visit our Support Center to request service.

Allow 24 hours after the reset for ice production to get back to normal.

• You should see some ice production much sooner, however, it may take the full 24 hours for it to return to normal production amounts (approximately 2 trays of ice every 3 hours).
  • Be sure to dispense ice occasionally during this period. If ice piles up at one end of the bucket, the ice maker will think it is full and stop ice production. Find more information in the "Ice maker is making some ice but not enough" section.

If the above troubleshooting steps didn't help, here are some service options:

- If your unit was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange processes.

- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service processed.

- If you're within the one year warranty, you can Private message one of our moderators to have service processed. http://bit.ly/33ipYnO

- If you're OUT of warranty, you the following link to locate a service center in your area by using the link below

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in original post

1,349 REPLIES 1,349
Highlighted
Astronaut

Yes same thing with me

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes same thing with me

Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: Yes same thing with me

JUMP TO SOLUTION
yes, I have the same issue with my Samsung fridge and the ice maker. I can't find anything about a fix for this.
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I, too, have a Family Hub fridge that has the ice maker freezing problem. The ice maker was replaced approx. 1 year ago and all gaps sealed with silicone. The only improvement has been the unit no longer leaks water into the fridge compartment. I have to use a hair dryer on the ice maker about once every two months, or less. I don't remember reading in the owner's manual about needing to thaw the ice maker with a hair dryer!

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I finally fixed mine by turning the water pressure down to a crawl.  Still enough to fill a glass slowly.  But it also fills the ice tray slowly and does not splash water and freeze the defrost vent closed.    Been working perfectly since early August.   Worth a shot if you have tried everything else.   Just totally thaw it all out completely one more time and adjust the water valve to where you notice a difference in the flow to a glass.   Good Luck

Cheers
Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Where is the option to turn down the water pressure?

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The valve coming out of the wall behind your fridge.

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Yes I have to do the same thing every month. I have told my partner to take a picture of me doing this and if anything ever happens that I electrocute myself with this, then sue them!  Especially since the know this is an issue and refuse to fix or replace the units!!

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Can you look into this for me?  I have my model and serial number.  This appears to be a very common problem.  Is this covered under a recall for a defective product?

Highlighted
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I know thousands of people are having this same issue, and I'm sure there are thousands more who are not reporting it, but what is being done about this problem? Every week I have to scrape off the ice buildup so I can get cubes dropped into the bucket. I've tried the reset option and even the RTV silicone sealant inside the ice maker. Nothing works!!

Can a Samsung rep please respond and let me know if there are any newer updates to this issue?