Original topic:

Ice Maker Keeps Freezing

(Topic created on: 10/24/19 10:11 AM)
userwfid6XiLd8
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I have a super fancy Samsung smart kitchen, including the fridge with the screen. The ice maker on the fridge keeps freezing! It looks like ice is getting stuck while it tries to fall into the bucket below but there is always a big chunck of ice up top, just stuck there. We are constantly having to defrost it, remove the ice and then within a week or two it is frozen again. I am so upset and cannot believe we spent so much money on an appliance that continues to fail. Has anyone found a fix for this? 

1,250 Replies
user77LA29XUAd
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We constantly have issues with our ice maker freezing up. We have tried the usual methods of defrosting usually it fixes the problem for about a week or two. This is beyond frustrating when you spend so much on a refrigerator you would think it would last more than 2 years. We have purchased several samsung appliances over the years always thought it was a good brand. Has anyone ever fixed the problem or did you have to purchase a new refrigerator? If that's the case I dont think it will ever be a Samsung appliance again. Please help.

0 Likes
userXHOjVfcOXP
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

My ice maker just started freezing over a few months ago. I've done research and found that there was a class action lawsuit started back in November of 2019.  I've seen that many people have had technicians service their ice makers and it's only a temporary fix. This is very frustrating considering the amount of money I've paid for my refrigerator. 

0 Likes
Mbarbian
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Good Morning,
RF263BEAESR/AA

Since my fridge was a couple of years old the ice maker has frosted up every couple of weeks. I have to take the ice maker apart, defrost the ice maker and the inside of the ice box. I've tried to seal the icebox to prevent moisture from getting in. Should I really need to be calking the ice box of a couple year old freezer.

The ice bin has now almost destroyed itself, having multiple cracks in multiple places. The ice maker itself is damaged from being constantly taken out to be defrosted. The inside of the ice cabinet has many places that have melted and are deformed from my attempts to remove the buildup of frost and ice. THis is starting to cause multiple issues with water going places it should not be going.

Ice dispensing on this fridge has been very slow from day one. The ice is also rarely full cubes, but comes out as partial cubes or crushed up even though I’m not using the crushed ice setting.

To say I'm disappointed with the ice maker in this fridge is a complete understatement. A quick internet search will show many uses that have frustrations with their ice makers. I know I'm not alone. Is there any relief available for me? Is there an ice maker replacement kit that will replace the entire ice maker to resolve all of my issues?

0 Likes
ditek2000
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I purchased a Samsung French Door Refrigerator Model#RF23HCEDBSR  in June 2016, and it was installed in Sept 2016 after our kitchen remodel. 

Problems with icemaker started pretty quick for such an expensive appliance. I will summarize our repair experience:

Icemaker has been completely replaced 5 times on these dates: 4/24/17, 8/31/17, 2/16/18, 5/31/18 and 8/31/18. Plus another service visit to perform Ice Room Bulletin repairs on June 1, 2017. 

Since the last NEW icemaker was installed on 8/31/2018 we decided to just defrost it ourselves every time it ices up using a hair dryer instead of hassling with calling service and arranging to be home when they come.  Every 4-5 weeks this icemaker freezes up completely not allowing any  ice to drop..

We had to defrost icemaker these dates subsequent to the latest NEW  icemaker installation on 8/31/2018 : Defrosted by us on: 10/1/18, 12/3/18, 1/03/19,2/15/19, 3/9/19. 4/19/19, 5/10/19, 6/19/19 and 7/16/19. As of today 9/19/19, It has been frozen up for a week or two now and I refuse to defrost it anymore. I have had to purchase a bag of ice every time I go to the grocery store for years now. Since these problems started early I spent an extra $344.12 on 3-year extended warranty from Samsung in 2017 (offered to me when the manufacturer warranty was about to expire) because I could already see the writing on the wall with needing 2 service calls in the first year.

I have photos of all the freeze ups, I have ticket numbers for all the repairs performed, I really need some help here. I have been promised many times that if “it breaks again” then it will be considered “unrepairable” and replaced. Yet each time it happens again the answer has been for them to put in a ticket for service.. usually with a different repair service than the previous call. ( Probably because each repair service company was on the edge of calling it “unrepairable”.) Their solution = send a different repair service company out.  Please help. I feel as if I have wasted so much time and money and my life in general on this refrigerator. Really unbelievable. 

DCSTRATO
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I had the same issue for many years.  Did all the sealing and part change, etc. , with no luck.  I finally just turned the water pressure down to as low as possible in late June and still be able to fill a glass of water.  Amazingly its been two months now and the ice maker has worked with no issues.  Worth a try if you have nothing else to lose.  My suspicions were that the ice filling funnel could not handle the filling flow rate and water was splashing back up into the unit causing clear ice buildup that then blocked the defrost vent and it all went downhill from there.   May not help everyone, but it has been nice to have ice when asked for without all the constant defrosting.  I suspect it might still happen, but even once a year would be a blessing from what it has been.  

Cheers
user5rlnTtSLSt
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

It seems Samsung doesn’t want to help the thousands of people that have this ice maker/refrigerator problem. The real shocker is that they've carried on building them the same way. I think the wisest thing to do is to get rid of the unit, and buy a unit without ice in the door, unless you get a side by side. It seems many of the French door refrigerators have these ice maker problems, but Samsung seems to be the worst, which is sad, because the fridge looks really nice. I'm personally going with a new Bosch. Ice in the freezer and water dispenses inside, so there shouldn’t be these problems. 

ditek2000
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thanks for your input. I was able to achieve a full refund from Samsung for this unit due to the problems I experienced, only after contacting the New Jersey Better Business Bureau. Once I made contact with BBB I received a call from Samsung within 24 hrs offering full refund. I have purchased a new side by side that has ice and water in the door and lets just say when the water comes out it makes a beautiful whirlpool in the cup! We love it! :beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:  I hope this post makes it past the moderators to let everyone know how my story ends... happily!

userg0uVy0VZfe
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Add me to the list of Samsung French door ice maker owners that freeze up even after the icemaker is replaced, re caulked etc. I've been lucky to keep it at bay by checking and removing extra ice or frost. Oops! Waited too long and I'm frozen up.  I'm so disappointed there is no permanent fix. I feel foolish for buying the RF28JBEDBSR/AA after reading these reviews. 

0 Likes
useriWjHIy7X57
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We moved into our house on Xmas Eve 2019 and thus the previous owner left their Samsung French Door (RF23HCED) unit which they purchased in 2017. When we looked in the freezer we thought it was strange they had 2 old fashioned ice trays. We had no need for ice and thus didn't try the ice in the door for a month or two. Guess what--no ice. Tried removing the bucket and it is frozen shut. Called Samsung and they said to defrost the freezer and if that didn't work they would send out service repair. Yep, cleared it. Guess what, one month later it happened again, But now it was a pandemic and thus I wasn't having anyone in my house. Every month I must defrost to be able to get the ice bucket loose OR to get the huge chunk of ice that is surrounding the ice maker. With things a bit calmer in the world (not really) called Samsung today--they forwarded a repair ticket to their outside repair company. Samsung said the repair company would first speak to me by phone; diagnose the problem; speak to Samsung about coverage, etc. as this is an ongoing problem. Instead, I received a text from the repair company without even a visit saying the minimum labor charge will be $200-$300 plus parts for the repair and they will not visit without upfront payment. Samsung, this isn't right. I have no idea if the previous owner ever called you (they barely lived here due to this being their "other" home and thus they rarely used the freezer) but this isn't right that a 2 year old fridge can't make ice and freezes up. I own 3 Samsung TVs and other Samsung electronics and am very disappointed in this Samsung "inherited" product.

0 Likes
userOSS82fls2Q
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Yup, same problem. I will never ever buy a Samsung prodect again. Terrible product and terrible service.

0 Likes