cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Evaporator Fan freezing RF263BEAESR French door refrigerator

We have had the exact problem mentioned by many. Samsung customer service was no help and we are out of any service area. We were about to give up and sell the unit for a huge loss when we were very fortunate to find two YouTube videos that were very helpful. Basically you remove the inside panel at the back of the unit, defrost the ice buildup with a hair dryer (ours was totally loaded up with ice), and wrap a small wire (we used small gauge aluminum electric fence wire) around the black heater tube at the bottom of the evaporator and run the wire down into the drain hole. We installed two wires, one on each side of the hole. The factory has a small metal tab over the drain hole. The idea is that the heater element is supposed to heat that tab and keep the drain hole open but it is totally inadequate. The wire we add is supposed to heat up and since it extends into the drain hole it is supposed to keep the drain open. We just did this on 3/29/18 and have high hopes this maddening problem will be solved. Here are the links to the YT videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwSSMF6Sj70 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPJ6xmQGWZQ Also, there is a bulletin on the web from Samsung describing the problem and suggesting relocating the heat sensor to an adjacent tube in the evaporator. I don't see how to add attachments or I would upload it to this site. This confirms that Samsung is aware of the problem even though they will not offer the solution. Apparently there is a class action lawsuit pending using the bulletin as proof that the problem is known. The irony is that the repair is so simple they could have addressed the problem rather than angering so many customers. Also, the nearest repair center (too far to come out to us) said there is a "leakage kit" from Samsung for around $29 to fix the problem. We have ordered one as well and will try to report on it when we get it.
Highlighted
Astronaut

Any luck so far?  Looking at curdled milk and ice build up on the back panel.  Not looking forward to beach towels and the hairdryer experience.

Highlighted
Constellation

Trying this today! Thanks

Highlighted
Constellation

Just had the same problem with my one year old Samsung and like you, used a hair dryer to melt the ice in the vents. Now it is making a loud noise which leads me to believe  there is still ice beneath the panel. I had an old frigidaire that was still working after 23 years and replaced it with a Samsung only because of a rehab. Seems that was a mistake.  

Did it work to tilt the front of the frig up as someone suggested?

Highlighted
Constellation

I have model RF 23 HTED BSR/AAA

Mine has frozen every month since November 2017. In March I was told to raise the front. Samsung actually sent me an email on how to do it. They told me it was an easy fix and will take care of everything. I raised  The wheels off the ground .   A month later it froze again. I defrosted and raised it even higher. 28 days later it froze again. I called Samsing customer service, Cassondra was unfamiliar with raising it . She was also unaware of a class action lawsuit.  She did have a company contact me to service it.    They are scheduled for tomorrow morning. I've owned it for 2 1/2 years it is no longer under warranty and cost $99 for the service appointment tomorrow. $99 only covers diagnosing the problem. I'm afraid they don't know how to fix it and it will be a waste of money. Anybody have any permanent solutions?

Highlighted
Supernova

Do you have the unit in Energy Saver mode? 

Highlighted
Asteroid

No. 

This is so disgusting that it's an issue ongoing so long affecting so many people work no resolution from Samsung.

I'd like to know if there's a class action in Canada.

This is an unethical company that doesn't deserve any of anyone's money.

I'm getting to the point that of I could I would dig a hole in the ground and fill it with sawdust to keep my food cold. Winter's  okay.

How could you sell this to someone?

This worked fine for 3 years. What changed? Not the levelling. That's been fine since the beginning.

Highlighted
Constellation

We need to start class action lawsuit about water under cool select drawer and freezer not freezing even though display reads -2. As well as ice maker.
Highlighted
Astronaut

Any resolution?
Highlighted
Asteroid

No, tilting the fridge doesn't fix it. The only way is to seal the leak behind the evap cover. Take a look at my video where I go into detail on how to permanently fix this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltwEPb2Bnu4&t=9s