cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EaOutlaw1969
Asteroid

Ice Maker & other Problems With Samsung's FR25HMEDBSR/AA Possible insight and Help

JUMP TO SOLUTION

First off I am not a expert I am just a Samsung appliance owner trying to make lemonaid from lemons.

I am also not a good writer, Blogger or whatever you want to call people that post online but I felt I had to try and help frustrated owners like myself. 

So if you want a professionaly written and spell checked perfect master piece find another post, This post is for anyone looking to contribute to helping others with real world repair and service tips that are constructive. 

If you need to bash Samsung please make another post for that.  

I agree anyone that owns a Samsung refridgerator with a ice maker inside the refridgerator section will have ice maker problems from frosting up to the ice cube bucket freezing in place. however the common thing here is that most of our units work ok for the first year or so then things go south quick where you find yourself having to defrost the ice maker and or the entire refriderator over and over. some unlucky people have problems since day one.

One thing I think is common is lack of maintenance that we are not accustomed to have to do especially on expensive units when our old low buck fridge seemed to work flawlessly for years with a occasional coil cleaning. 

It seems that while doing maintenance by cleaning the coils on our Samsungs and cleaning the ice and water dispensor we also need to clean the three drains and check valves that dump water into the condensor pan.

We also need to flush these drain lines with with a chemical that kills bacteria mold mildue etc getting every last trace of debris from the drain tube systems. ( I used a safe leave in coil cleaner from HD but I flushed it out well ) 

If you do not do this on a regular basis and I mean regular at least once a year your fridgerator , freezer and or ice maker system will not function properly.

I say this because clogged or partially clogged lines will raise the humidity inside the refridgerator causing everything to frost or freeze up and not just your icemaker.  This means when your done every part that you put back in must be dry as a bone and the cabinet sections your working on must be also dry. 

This also means only put air tight containers that have fluid in them no open jugs of juices water or other drinks that will evaporate in your refridgerator. 

Today I was working on thawing out the ice maker again ( something I have to do at least 6-7 times a year. 

I normally also clean out the condensor and drip pan ( dust bunnies love this area ) 

Since I had a lot of work to do I decided to look inside the fridge to make sure no ice was coming from the main part of the refridgerator evaporator cover area and yes I found Ice peeking out of one of the vents. 

So this meant the everything had to be removed from the rerfidgerator giving me access to pull the evaporator cover so I could defrost the cover and the evaporator if needed. 

I used the manual forced Defrost mode on all sections by pushing freezer and fridge buttons for 8 seconds putting it into test mode then after the display went blank I tapped any button slowly over and over until I got FD displayed on the screen at this point the unit is on and all the coils go into defrost mode heating each unit for about 20 minutes. ( if you do not do this you risk damaging any part your trying to force apart while it is still frozen. 

I spent the twenty minutes listening to the annoying chimes while we were cleaning the sheving from the inside and cleaning and drying the ice maker and auger motor assembly plus drying the ice bucket room.

I removed the condensor cover to find the cover that has the air flow chamber built into the styrofoam and plastic cover was a solid block of ice on one side and partially frozen solid on the other which means my refridgerator was not circulating the air properly.

I also found my ice maker drain tube was completley clogged up along with the check valves of all three drains but the ice maker section was most clogged because it got more use. 

while I was servicing my refridgerator I unplugged it after the forced manual defrost and when I pluged it back in I got a code 14E which is supposed to mean a Ice sensor problem. ( I call BS on that ) 

I seem to get this code any time I unplug the unit yet with no expliantion I have been able to clear this code either by entering test mode my holding freezer and fridge button for 8 seconds or by removing the ice maker harness when the power is on then plugging it back in. I will say what works one time will not work the next time it seems to cycle each time you unplug the unit you have to do one of the above trick to clear the code to regain control of the control panel.   

If you call Samsung or any tech they will tell you Code 14E means you either need to test the sensor or replace the icemaker which is false especially if you just lost power or unplugged the machine. 

I have a copy of the factory Service manaul which I got from Appliance pros at no charge while trying to diagnose my code 14E ( they would have had me probing wires and testing circuits for nothing ) but atleast I got the manual.

Anyways the manual is very poorly written and obviously loosly translated to english which I think has caused many errors in the testing methods and wording. ( which leads techs at Samsung and other places to send you on a wild goose chase ) 

My point to all of this is your Samsung can be a good Refridgerator and yes your ice maker can work but you have to wade through a mountian of misinformation online and Samsung Bashing haters to get the information you need.

Things to remember 

Make sure your drains all three including the three check valves are clear clean flushed and sanitized do not use bleach as it will rust out everything quick. ( this is labor intensive and requires the manual so you know how to take everything apart) . 

This is a great time to toss out any left overs you have been avoiding and possibly expired food items. 

The ice maker section aside from the normal stuff you may have already learned in the TSB like adjusting the waterline to minimize splashing and replacing the icemaker and auger motor- fan- drain assembly with updated parts if needed and sealing the air gaps. You could insulate the ice maker cabinet with foil backed insulation found in most AC supply shops . 

I have seen many people online using hair dryers and heat guns to defrost thier icemakers and coils ( i admit I did it myself ) JUST DO NOT DO IT YOU WILL WARP YOUR PLASTIC PARTS MAKING THE PROBLEM WORSE.

Instead use a steamer with a long hose but keep the steamer and steam away from the control panel, Do not be tempted to clean the dispensor assembley with steam and a brush while it works great at cleaning these hard to reach parts it could destroy the display and circuits behind it. 

I got lucky and my display finally dried out and started to work after using a blow dryer on the cold setting to dry it out.  

To clean and sanitize the dispensor I suggest removing the entire assembly taking it apart as much as you can then clean it. 

After the dispensor is cleaned the entire water system from the main water valve to the dispensor outlet and ice maker outlet needs to be flushed with white wine vinagar then flushed with clean filtered water. 

To explain how do this requires a lot more time than I have right now but one day soon I will add a post on how I do it and what you need to super clean your water supplie lines valves etc. 

If you get anything from this post get that your appliance and any modern appliance requires lots of maintenance that perhaps you did not have to do on other older appliances ( do not ask me why older units were more robust ).

The only way you are going to get this work done properly is to do it yourself,  no tech and I mean absolutley no tech will go through the steps needs to do this work they way it needs to be done to keep you and your family safe and your appliance working properly. 

Since you were not born with the knowledge needed you have to get a Factory repair- service manaul you have to read it from from to back and get to know the manual before you attempt any repairs. 

Most importantly if any of the work outlined in the manual that you think you will have to do is beyond your skill level and or tool set call a pro for help but be armed with the information you need to make sure the tech does what you need and what your paying for or they will be happy to install a Icemaker for your code 14e when you now know the code went away because he unplugged it not because he replaced it. 

I will check in from time to time on this thread and try to answer questions but I really posted this to help you know there will be more to fixing your ice maker or fridge problem then just installing a new updated part. 

I hope I gave you enough ideas of where to turn to rather then just say my Samsung is junk because it really is a nice machine that just needs some attention. 

I will admit while doing this work today I did not service the freezer section or the middle drawer section ( because the drains were not clogged and my back and neck was killing me by the time I was done with the work I had completed. 

The other two sections I will service another day soon. 

Please feel free to add to this this post or ask questions and I will do what I can to help.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EaOutlaw1969
Asteroid

Up Date I eating some crow today

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well after some more research I found out I was wrong the code 14E and 39E that appeared while the fridge was  unplugged does mean the ice maker is bad. 

On my unit I took it apart and traced the problem down to a split rubber- plastic gasket that had split allowing play between the metal ice cube tray and plastic housing with the gear box and other sensors mounted in it.

This play broke the connection loose from the sensor that monitors the ice cube tray temperature which is needed as the heating element heats up during the ice dump procedure can start.

I think the gasket broke one day when I let the ice maker go too long before defrosting it.

With a new Ice maker installed I no long get the code 14E or 39E

10 REPLIES 10
EaOutlaw1969
Asteroid

Up Date I eating some crow today

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well after some more research I found out I was wrong the code 14E and 39E that appeared while the fridge was  unplugged does mean the ice maker is bad. 

On my unit I took it apart and traced the problem down to a split rubber- plastic gasket that had split allowing play between the metal ice cube tray and plastic housing with the gear box and other sensors mounted in it.

This play broke the connection loose from the sensor that monitors the ice cube tray temperature which is needed as the heating element heats up during the ice dump procedure can start.

I think the gasket broke one day when I let the ice maker go too long before defrosting it.

With a new Ice maker installed I no long get the code 14E or 39E

userZLhw4PcnY8
Constellation

Re: Ice Maker & other Problems With Samsung's FR25HMEDBSR/AA Possible insight and Help

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, this seems to be the most informed response I’ve seen to what seems to be a VERY common problem. I am (was) an electrical engineer, but I’m retired now, and debugging and repairing mechanical problems is no longer interesting to me, if I could even do it anymore. These days I just assume these things will work for decades; apparently Samsung doesn’t feel the same way. Sigh, I guess I’ll have to get the tech manual and try to find someone who can follow directions. 

Thank you so much for your efforts to do a detailed diagnosis of this problem! Samsung owes you a new refridgerator at least!

EaOutlaw1969
Asteroid

Re: Ice Maker & other Problems With Samsung's FR25HMEDBSR/AA Possible insight and Help

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just a update since I did the work to my Samsung refrigerator and icemaker has been working flawlessly.

It makes nice cubes and I do not sit there forever waiting for my cubes to come out crushed because the icemaker cabinet, bucket and Icemaker is not frosting up.

Before this work was done I had to defrost everything at least every two weeks. but within 24 hours I would already see signs of frost and the unit iceing up.

So I can say for sure the build up of water in the drain line for the ice maker was the main problem, The TSB and new design icemaker helped some I am sure. 

However I am also positive had I known about cleaning the drain lines and check valves my orginal icemaker would still be in good shape or atleast working.

One other note on many of the videos when the icemaker is removed or replaced I see these people pushing the reset button. DO NOT PUSH THE RESET BUTTON!!!

By pushing the reset button all you are doing is forcing the Icemaker to run another cycle which will overfill your icemaker causing you more problems.

If you unplug the refrigerator while you are working on it then plug it back in there is a time dely before the compressor will kick in and the ice maker goes through a fill cycle by itself. 

EaOutlaw1969
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

3 month update my Icemaker is still working great with no signs of frosting up.

Since it was due for a water filter I decided to replace the filter service the drain check valves and coil. two out of three drains showed signs of build up that could have led to blockage of the water drain so I am glad I serviced it sooner than I had planned on.

I am thinking about a water softening device for the whole house which should help with the build up of junk in these check valves. 

So yeah Samsung did have a updated icemaker that seemed to help but it will take making sure these drain check valves are cleaned on a regular basis which gives you time to quickly blow out the coil with some compressed air making the entire unit run properly. 

To any one tossing up your hands and buying a new appliance just to avoid a little service work needs a reality check because your new other brand appliance will need the same amount of work because of all the energy savings requirments. 

usermsYpd0cYLd
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Just like everone else here, I have had all the sames issues from slush ice, to solid block of ice, to water under the chrisper drawers, and loud ticking from the fan hitting encased ice on the coil under the back panel of the frig with ice coming out the air vents.

Purchased  a RF28HMEDBSR/AA in Dec 2015 and for the first year it worked great, no problems.  Everything went south in that 2nd year and Samsung refused to help and told me to call a service rep and that I was going to have to pay for the cost.  

For the past few years I did all the defrosting, even bought a steam machine so I could quickly defrost this thing as a hair dryer or heat gun is just too slow and you can easily damage the plastic parts, steam works really well.

I decided to either fix this thing myself or just write it off  and dump in on craigslist.  I did replace the icemaker with a newer model as the old one was so corroded and nasty.

I think that there are multiple issue with these units and that is one there is not a simple one solution for all.  I did the Y clips on the cooling coil and the drain clip on the refrig coils and so far the unit is once again making ice, and no frost or ice build up, for how long we shall see. Also found the fill line extended too far into filler and repositioned that correctly, that could have been spraying water that then iced up the icemake and fan.

The one issue that most are not talking about are the 3 drain tubes in the back of the refrigerator and those small rubber drain valves that allow water to drain into the evaporator pan but don't allow air back into the drain lines.  Mine were full of gunk including a piece of insulation material and crud.  When I removed them water poured out of 2 of the drain lines.  This could be the source of moisture air that is condensing on the cooling coils.

Make sure you clean out those drain valves and see if it helps

EaOutlaw1969
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Update The icemaker and all parts of this Samsung are still working perfect. I just did another service replacing the water filter and cleaning the coils plus Icemaker drain check valve. The other two drain check valves were still clean.

I almost skipped cleaning the coils and check valve but I am glad I did not because half of the check valve was plugged up and it would not have made it had i skipped till the next filter change. 

uservbKBt8lXnO
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have a RF28HMEDBRSR/AA and have the same problem. I need to take the circulator apart and defrost it approx. every 2 months. I really hoped that their was a technical issue involved and not just a crappy design. This is unbeleivable, does anyone want to purchase it? Cheap! I don't have the time to donate to the refidgerator.

userOgCWqrdjNx
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I think I will buy a different refrigerator and take the $2100

loss. The Samsung is a total bust !!

userVJHDy4TbR1
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I complained enough and Samsung gave me a credit    Went to best buy and purchased an LG.   It has never given an issue.   It is 100% a faulty design