Original topic:

Ice in bottom of freezer

(Topic created on: 3/25/21 10:52 AM)
userMz5FrP5igh
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Our Samsung side-by-side, model RSG257AARS, is accumulating ice in the bottom of the freezer and small amounts of water are leaking out onto the floor. I've read complaints about this issue on multiple trouble-shooting message boards and they claim this is a common issue with Samsung refrigerators. They suggest that the problem is a frozen or clogged drain issue. One person suggested this is an issue Samsung is aware of and there is a kit to fix the problem. Can you please advise how to correct the issue for this model specifically? I'm fairly handy and would like to fix it myself. Thank you.

Edited to add, I fixed the problem. The defrost drain inside the freezer was completely frozen over as I suspected.  After watching some YouTube videos and reading several How-to articles,  I fixed it. The supplies I used were: screwdriver, chisel, hair dryer, boiling water, baking soda, and a turkey baster syringe.

The most helpful was this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3rUC1oYKc 

4 Pointers to look for Simple Easy Fix. a Phillips screwdriver, turkey baster, and Hot water. 5 minutes of your time.Samsung R261MD model.
0 Likes
2 Replies
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

The side-by-side refrigerators are different than the french door units. The evaporator compartment would need to be disassembled to clear the drain, and the defrost components checked for proper operation.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userMz5FrP5igh
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

After taking out the panel inside the freezer, I could see that the defrost drain inside the freezer was completely frozen over as I suspected.  After watching some YouTube videos and reading several How-to articles,  I fixed it. The supplies I used were: screwdriver, chisel, hair dryer, boiling water, baking soda, and a turkey baster syringe.

This was the video I found most helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3rUC1oYKc

4 Pointers to look for Simple Easy Fix. a Phillips screwdriver, turkey baster, and Hot water. 5 minutes of your time.Samsung R261MD model.
0 Likes