Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TheBud
Asteroid

Re: Ice maker is frosted over

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had contacted Samsung support, which were of no help whatsoever.  They suggested resetting the ice maker.  I tried it and it did not work, which is why I had turned to this forum.

I did not want to defrost the entire fridge/freezer.  At first, I tried putting narrow containers of boiling water in the ice maker, but it did not work.  So, I pulled out the hairdryer.  It worked great.  Be ready with some towels though.  It melts fast.

To do this, pull out the bottom drawer before starting and put a large towel on the (inside) bottom of the fridge.  Put a small towel in the bottom of the ice maker.  Then begin with the hairdryer.  It doesn't take long, but be sure to melt the ice behind the ice maker (inside).  Once you start melting the ice, you can feel it in the back of the unit.  It gets pretty hot in the ice maker pretty fast.

Once defrosted and dry, reset the ice maker and re-insert the tray.  Samsung has a great diagram on how to reset the ice maker.  I cannot find the link, but it has very helpful pictures on how to reset it.  Maybe the Samsung Moderator could post the link in a reply.

That did the trick - until next time.  We are making ice again.  I just now opened up the ice maker - and I am happy to report that I don't see any frost building up - and a full tray of ice.  Hopefully, the problem is solved.  Good luck.

View solution in original post

userwTVdbt10kl
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

thanks so much for posting your procedure. I'm going to give this a try before I send my ice pick and hot air gun schematic to samsung corporate engineering so they can start shipping every refrigerator with these critical accessories.

TheBud
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Found this:

Important: Do not reset your ice maker more than one time in a 24-hour period.  This can result in the ice tray over filling.  If the ice tray over fills, water will pour directly into the ice bucket and freeze.  If the ice bucket is frozen you will not be able to dispense ice.  A frozen ice bucket can also lead to the ice maker itself freezing over.  This will cause the ice maker to stop working and service will be required.

usermJxBTDXPjw
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

hey samsung!   why are we having to do this in 2018 with such an expensive refrigerator?!?!?

userxBPAG5xjmt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

There is a YouTube video explaining the problem.  The ice maker spills water over when level.  It needs to be adjusted so the front is lower than the back.

userxBPAG5xjmt
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
userpkgsHlTqLS
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Not necessary to go thru all those steps.  Here’s what I did and have had zero frost in my ice room for 2 weeks.  Defrost the ice room with a hair blower or hot air gun.  Be sure to put towels in the bottom of the box.  When clear of ice/frost, use silicon caulk to seal the underside of the box where it meets the sidewall, caulk the seam where the back of the ice room attaches to the back of the fridge, both on the bottom and side.  All this keeps warm air from entering the ice room and turning to ice.  I had been dealing with this issue for over a year.  Finally fixed.

userGEw9tnFOmU
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same problem. The white gasket seal in the left fridge door was not sealing properly between the door and ice maker. I stuffed bubble wrap around the inside perimeterof the gasket on the door. This raised the gasket enough to seal out the air of the fridge and ice maker, eliminating the problem.

userbEWptiRcWv
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Great idea!  My gasket goes too deep into the refrig, so it left a small gap at the bottom of the ice tray.  The bubble wrap raised the gasket enough, to make a tighter seal. Let's hope that fixes my "wet ice" problem, too.

uservh97BZdM0F
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I can’t see the original post. Something about bubble wrap. I have wet ice as well